• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to discourage mating behavior

Duel

Walking the driveway
So recently Snick's hormones have been kicking in and he's acting up from it. Whenever I see him do any mating behavior I immediately move him or the object he's doing his dance to but now he's been err... trying to mate with me. He was on my head and suddenly I see him doing a weird movement with his tail like he's trying to rub me with it. I knew right away what he's trying to do and took him off my head but then while on my hand he started doing the same movement trying to bend his tail onto me. This has been happening a few times and when he does it to me I get up and give him my back and take a few steps to make him think I'm leaving him but he still keeps at it. It's been three days in a row now though today he hasn't acted up at all. Any advice to discourage it?

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Look disapproving ly & set down & walk away if you can. That's all I know in my world w/ Buddy. Obviously you can't really do this if he's on your head but @ the other times.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
If your bird is flighted, gently push him off your head.

What is his cage setup like? Does he have something he can ¨play¨ with?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Whenever I see him do any mating behavior I immediately move him or the object he's doing his dance to but now he's been err... trying to mate with me.
So quit moving his stuff. You can not stop (and should not) hormones. It is a biological function that runs on a cycle and once started must run its course. By you thwarting and trying to prevent what comes naturally you've left him no choice but to glom onto you. You would also be prolonging the cycle and causing (sexual) frustration. Everyone needs to "release". He will not go blind if he masturbates on a toy. :)

You could probably gain a lot of insight by reading this article

Some more great reading

Last edited:

Nobirby

Jogging around the block
So quit moving his stuff. You can not stop (and should not) hormones. It is a biological function that runs on a cycle and once started must run its course. By you thwarting and trying to prevent what comes naturally you've left him no choice but to glom onto you. You would also be prolonging the cycle and causing (sexual) frustration. Everyone needs to "release". He will not go blind if he masturbates on a toy. :)

You could probably gain a lot of insight by reading this article

Some more great reading
Oh, thank you. Jesse is very hormonal right now. We keep him away from Hope, but he still "plays". We let him, and glad to know it is okay to "play" with his toys. I don't need a blind bird.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I never thought of getting a toy for him to "play" with before
My boy likes a boing, one of my girls used a small teddy bear, also I saw another hen using a cardboard kitchen paper roll. @Leih s girl has a toy that is different again...

The article john listed is a very good read.

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
As weird as it seems, this is her special toy. At first I took it away but now I leave it in her cage, I'd rather her not be frustrated.

Attachments