• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to accommodate for a messed-up beak

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Does anyone have advice on how to accommodate Chirp's beak problems?

For anyone who needs some background on this, here you go: Beak issue | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

His beak is brittle and has a split in it that goes all the way up into his mouth. He can only have soft foods because hard foods (like dry pellets) could harm it more. The vet also warned that there is a possibility of his beak breaking and also of necrosis if that does happen.

If anyone has experience with birds with beak problems, I'd be more than happy to hear what you have to say.
I had same issue with sparky, he had a terrible beak. Very badly neglected bird before I rescued and took him in.
he could only have soft foods. I trained him to spoon, and hand fed him several times a day.
I would take veggies, pellets, pumpkin seeds, soft veggie pasta put in blender and hit puree. It would be like soup. Warm it a little and spoon fed him. he was severely handicapped. Some will asked if his wings are clipped, yes, unfortunately he had to. He can't fly, he couldn't walk properly. And would get his wings caught... So had to trim them for his saftey....was a decision I came to lightly. I hate having to do that, but he had deformed wings from bad neglect from previous owner. Letting his wings out put him in danger of hurting himself. Was very sad, a bird no one wanted because he took a lot of care. But I took him in.
IMG_20170526_100420.jpg IMG_20170526_100427.jpg

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Today I got some plastic egg crate to make a false bottom, and a couple of shallow glass dishes for food and water. I also mixed up a spray bottle of F10 (1:500). I also looked and noticed in the small animal section of the pet store they have these little bendy bridge things, maybe those would be good for him in the bigger cage?
That sounds good! I do the bendy perches all over the place for Clint.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Has the vet mentioned if the bleeding gets bad, (IF) there's a bad beak break if you can use this to hold Chirp over till you can rush him to them (vet) something like this?

cb4806a3-3c9a-430e-bab4-cbe07ef40751_1.10b19f8caaaddb91a2740d719186750e.jpeg

Just a random thought is all... Bea, we got your back as best we can. I'll keep brainstorming dumb things & maybe as a group "we" can come up w/ something!

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Yes, there's an herb she gave me called yunnan baiyao, it has coagulant properties. You basically use it the same way you would styptic powder. She says that when it happens, put it on a wet cotton ball and just pack it on there, then high-tail it to the vet.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I just caught & re-read something that you asked about transporting him. How about a small Aquarium w/ a blanket or towel in the bottom... Get or make a wire fence or grate top. That way he's not using his beak to climb if something goes catastrophic & you do need to move fast.

My husband recommended it a long time ago if Buddy needed to be rushed to an ER & couldn't perch. The only other thing would be a cat carrier but an aquarium would be way cheaper.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I just caught & re-read something that you asked about transporting him. How about a small Aquarium w/ a blanket or towel in the bottom... Get or make a wire fence or grate top. That way he's not using his beak to climb if something goes catastrophic & you do need to move fast.

My husband recommended it a long time ago if Buddy needed to be rushed to an ER & couldn't perch. The only other thing would be a cat carrier but an aquarium would be way cheaper.
It's not a bad idea, but I would worry about fumbling, dropping the aquarium, suddenly having glass everywhere and a loose injured bird. I think maybe a critter carrier might be a better idea, since it's smooth-sided with a latching top (but still well-ventilated), yet light and easily portable. Maybe I'll do that- the "In case all hell breaks loose" carrier.

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
Poor baby, that beak does look rough but he's in such good hands. I'm glad he is still happy and active.

Does he let you help preen him? He might need or want some help with his feathers in time, baths will help.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Poor baby, that beak does look rough but he's in such good hands. I'm glad he is still happy and active.

Does he let you help preen him? He might need or want some help with his feathers in time, baths will help.
Unfortunately not. He's such an angry little baby- he hates hands and hates baths. He won't bathe in running water or bowls, in the sink or shower, anything. He refuses to be clean lol.

The closest I've been able to get to giving him a bath is by putting him in a critter carrier and putting water in it. I should probably do that anyway, as the feathers around his vent are stained. I did manage to take a wet qtip to his beak to get pellet mush off of it.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
(((Chirp))) He looks good, w/ beautiful feathers. Even seems brighter/happier somehow... The only thing causing the word handi-capped are the people who use that term. I think Handi-Abled is much more appropriate especially hearing how well Chirp is transitioning now that the pain is down. Give it time & we may ALL be surprised by this fighter.

:bighug:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Unfortunately not. He's such an angry little baby- he hates hands and hates baths. He won't bathe in running water or bowls, in the sink or shower, anything. He refuses to be clean lol.

The closest I've been able to get to giving him a bath is by putting him in a critter carrier and putting water in it. I should probably do that anyway, as the feathers around his vent are stained. I did manage to take a wet qtip to his beak to get pellet mush off of it.
I can't remember if you've ever tried fresh greens clipped to the side of the cage? *MUST* be wet!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Ohhhhh pooor sweet angel///That must be so hard on him & you. He's lucky to have you. I hope he gets passed this & it grows out. A miracle for an angel...That dear sweet boy...So sad for him... :sadhug2:

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I can't remember if you've ever tried fresh greens clipped to the side of the cage? *MUST* be wet!
Yeah, he's just scared of them. He's a little scaredy-boy. I ended up putting about an inch of lukewarm water in a critter carrier and putting Chirp in, so it came just barely up to his vent, and it cleaned off his vent feathers nicely. That carrier got a cleaning with F10 afterward.

Today we had a little scare, I took a look at him and thought the part of his beak that sticks down had broken off... I got ahold of him and luckily that wasn't the case, it just happened to have a tiny bit of blood on it. He's okay, thank god. He was very mad about the whole thing though, lol.

I did buy a critter carrier (yes, a 2nd one, the one I put him in for meds is missing its door, so I just put a washcloth over the top) when I was out doing pet errands, I cleaned it with F10 and cut some fleece to fit the bottom, which I then put paper towels on top of. So that is now right next to his cage, so if I need to I can just throw him in there and book it.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Glad you got a 2nd cage but sad about the blood. I'm also glad you found an easier way to bathe Chirp, this will be less stress for you both!

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I second the rec for Super Clot. I know your vet gave you something to use, but there have been times when Super Clot has without question saved my birds' lives when nothing else would have worked. I recommend we all have it on hand.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I second the rec for Super Clot. I know your vet gave you something to use, but there have been times when Super Clot has without question saved my birds' lives when nothing else would have worked. I recommend we all have it on hand.
I will have to ask the vet- We have an appt on the 23rd. Where do you buy it from?

Chirp has been doing well, still feisty. He doesn't fly as much but sometimes he gets flippy-flaps. Often when I open his cage, he'll either stay inside or just sit in the doorway. But he still plays with his toys and all that. I'm happy.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
Due to the fact that it could happen at any time I would call the vet about super clot not wait till the appointment and you can get super cloth overnight at some of our vendors i’m sorry I do not know which ones

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I wonder if Petco might have it. I'm going there tomorrow so I will look. Chewy also has it, so if Petco doesn't I'll probably get it there.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I would still check with your avian vet the herb might have special properties said it would work faster than the super clot your vet might know the difference