• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to acclimate my ringneck to handling

Kiwiblue

Moving in
Real Name
Kylie
My new ringneck is 5 and a half months old and although he is getting used to us because he is eating, taking treats from us and talking, he has not yet gotten used to handling. How do I slowly acclimate him to my hands and eventually handling from inside his cage?
Thanks in advance.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Have you tried offering him a treat with door open hand inside cage ?
once he takes the treat from your hand inside cage make it so he as to step up on your hand arm to get the treat so have the treat further away from him behind you arm or hand even if the first few times he only put a foot on your arm to reach the treat reward him make sure he as to come to you though don’t force your arm or finger into him

Kiwiblue

Moving in
Real Name
Kylie
Have you tried offering him a treat with door open hand inside cage ?
once he takes the treat from your hand inside cage make it so he as to step up on your hand arm to get the treat so have the treat further away from him behind you arm or hand even if the first few times he only put a foot on your arm to reach the treat reward him make sure he as to come to you though don’t force your arm or finger into him
no I did not bc the problem is he will move away so fast like he is terrified of me so I do not touch him for now bc since he was not in contact with humans it can be difficult for him and I do not wanna abruptly give him my hand if he does not want it

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
no I did not bc the problem is he will move away so fast like he is terrified of me so I do not touch him for now bc since he was not in contact with humans it can be difficult for him and I do not wanna abruptly give him my hand if he does not want it
You don’t have to force him just put your hand in by door not fully in cage let him move along perch to your hand if he stays at back of cage that’s fine just try daily he will soon move closer just block the cage door with your body so he doesn’t fly out yet

flocknroll

Meeting neighbors
It can definitely take a lot of patience! When you say he'll take a treat from you, do you mean if you hold it through the bars he'll take it? I've had some very skittish birds and I've found what has worked is just to hold their favourite treat inside the cage - But the key really is consistency. Every single day, and I usually do it twice a day for 5 minutes or so. I just leave my hand in the one spot, never chase them around.

It can feel very frustrating but don't give up :) It can take a long time for them to realise 'the hand' isn't a scary monster and if your careful and patient, eventually curiosity or the desire for the food/treat will win out.

This is where I've always started with my very scared birdies and once they're completely comfortable that's when you can move into further handling training.