• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

how packed are your cages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilraen

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Danae
I'm still planning to get a flight cage for my p'lets, though I will be waiting a few months until they start to be able to actually fly to do it* I'm just wondering what all should go in it? Right now, they've got a swing(which I haven't caught them using) a popsickle stick toy that they use to climb to the other side of the cage on, 4 various perches, 9 varied toys and the tent that they sleep on top of. I'll also probably end up putting Rydia's jolly ball in there since the time I had them on it, they seemed to enjoy it(both tried to chew on it a bit, which is more than Rydia does. She'll sit in it as long as there is food and then beg to get out of it as soon as she's finished it. I'll either put the JB in the p'let's cage or I'll end up getting a rope perch and connecting it to Rydia's atom since she likes it to see if she ends up in it. Even if she DOES still refuse to chew on anything that is in it.) and I figure that will give them something else to perch on/in and play with. I figure I'm okay with toys for now, but should I add more perches or let them act more like finches who need to be able to fly between their perches or(since they're parrots and can) just do like Rydia does and climb the bars to get to them? Ooh, and thinking of finches. . . . Could I get some of the little. . . . I don't know What they're called, but they look like leafy vines instead of putting the jolly ball in there so they could climb around in the leaves?

*I think I mentioned this in the moulting thread, but they drop like ROCKS. Right now their cage is about as long as the flight is, a bit thinner, but SHORT. It's about a foot tall versus the nearly 3 that the flight will be. The two of them really can Not fly, and when they hop off of their cage top, which is about 3.5' off of the ground, they end up less than 2 feet away from it. I'd rather wait until they're a little less clumsy until they get moved into something tall, so they don't have as much of a risk of falling from a height, catching themselves on a toy and getting hurt.

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
As long as they are let out for excercise and flight a few hours a day, it can be pretty full. As long as they can get around easilly. Harper really likes hiding behind her toys and snuggling against them.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Squid is in a double flight cage and there are A LOT of toys inside this cage! And she still have plenty of room to move around.

KimKimWilliamson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
I took the advice of a fellow AA member (cant recall who, sorry) and set the cages toy amount according to "levels"....you know, Lots at top, average amount at bottom, and a clear hanging out spot around the middle...this way she can work herself around the cage to whatever suits her mood!

Status
Not open for further replies.