• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How old is your oldest Budgie?

Sand

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sand
How old is or was your oldest Budgie? I dont mean a story you heard, i mean information that you know because it was your bird. my husband read somewhere that budgies can live to be some ungodly age , so when one of ours passed last year he was so freaked out , but I personally have never met anybody that's had a budgie that was very long-lived.

My SkySky (Skylar) turned at least 9 years old in May. I bought him from a bin at PetSupermarket at the end of 2011,girl in store told me since he no longer had baby stripes on his head he was at least 6 months old then.
I love him so very much.

Just last year he learned to talk clear as a bell, bcuz his cage mate passed & he now hangs out with my conure who talks constantly. But... SkySky just mimics the words he does not say them in context like my conure. Some words he does know, like food, water, peekaboo, kiss and outside.
But usually he just babbles words out of context, in his tiny ADORABLE voice. Here's a pic at nine years old and just learning to bathe from watching my conure

IMG_20200513_141052772.jpg

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Budgies tend to live 10-15 years in captivity with no predators, and 5 in the wild. My oldest budgie is two years old and my friends oldest is 5. Not sure how old my breeder friends oldest is, she has a lot of budgies.

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
My oldest is almost 1 and a half.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I'm not sure on the actual age of Tickle but she was mature when she came to me. She loved life and stayed with me a little over 16 years. She was constantly hyper, followed me everywhere. The vet said being so active she would probably burn out in 8-10 yrs. I think her activity actually kept her fit into old age.

Sand

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sand
I'm not sure on the actual age of Tickle but she was mature when she came to me. She loved life and stayed with me a little over 16 years. She was constantly hyper, followed me everywhere. The vet said being so active she would probably burn out in 8-10 yrs. I think her activity actually kept her fit into old age.
oh i bet you are right, who doesnt do better with more exercise. now that Sky hangs out with conure , he flys WAY more, and god forbid he LEAVES the room with us! what?! yep true, actually takes a spin around the house once in awhile now, lol, such a cutie!

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
my husband read somewhere that budgies can live to be some ungodly age , so when one of ours passed last year he was so freaked out , but I personally have never met anybody that's had a budgie that was very long-lived.
I was talking to a pet store employee once and made an off-hand comment about the lifespan of budgies being around 10 to 15 years, which is relatively short compared with the much longer livespans of some larger parrots. He quickly corrected me and stated strongly that the average lifespan was actually TWENTY FIVE years for a properly treated budgie. I smiled and nodded, but nothing I have read suggests that budgies living over fifteen years is a common-place occurrence so a 25 year old budgie would be quite exceptional ... not about average.

Maybe he read the same book as your husband.

Sand

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sand
I was talking to a pet store employee once and made an off-hand comment about the lifespan of budgies being around 10 to 15 years, which is relatively short compared with the much longer livespans of some larger parrots. He quickly corrected me and stated strongly that the average lifespan was actually TWENTY FIVE years for a properly treated budgie. I smiled and nodded, but nothing I have read suggests that budgies living over fifteen years is a common-place occurrence so a 25 year old budgie would be quite exceptional ... not about average.

Maybe he read the same book as your husband.
Exactly, i told my husband the same thing. That's like saying that just because somebody lived to be 103 , you lived a crappy life if you died at 87. Or that something more could have been done to help you live to 103.

Sand

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sand
I mean, they get yearly check ups, sprouts, fresh food, my food, expensive pellets, sunshine outside in a cage i carry outside. They have a HUGE cage in the house taller than me -filled with ever changing toys, their own little Nest box inside of the cages to sleep in, love, singing and dancing courtesy of me. If i leave the house the tv is on animal planet, I mean if they dont live past 8-15 years, there isnt more i can do, except for magic perhaps

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
My childhood budgie lived 10 years. As an adult none of my budgies lived more than 3 years. Seems backwards knowing how bird care over the years has improved.