• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How often to train

komodeno

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Nadejda or just Nadia
Recently i have made a decision to train my birds 3-4 times a week.I really enjoy it but did not really have time to spend for training.Just hanging out,shower and pet them but i did not made any serious training since 6-7 months.As of last week a made a promise to train them at least 3 times weekly when im off and the days kids have arabic lessons after school.
Now is that enough to keep them learning and not forget what they learn?How often do you train your birds.I have read that some people train even twice a day(morning and afternoon) everyday.But to be honest i cant do that and for me that is unrealistic and impossible.
I restart harness training together with some trick training so i can take them out.I also wish to do some re-call training and may be one day some free flying in the desert. Is the 3 times going to be ok and i will be able to teach that.I don't rush so i don't mind that may be a bit slower,but eventually successful. How long do you think i will need to teach flight recall?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Training doesn't have to be more than 5-15 minutes once per day, more often if you like. If your birds are quick to learn and remember, then it may be up to you as to how many times a week your train. If they are slow learners, you may want to try daily, just a few reps is all until they pick up the behavior.

komodeno

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Nadejda or just Nadia
My goffin is very eager to lear and he have the highest attention span.He usually pick up a behaviour within one session and then need only to master it.He can fetch,waive,give a leg and shake it as hello,turn around and now he is learning wings and ring on the peg.He do some flight recall also but it is not very reliable.
I face come problems with my Macaw he is not really in to learning but i think he is just not motivated.Is 3-4 tome weekly training will be enough to get him to learn some tricks and eventually flight recall.
Do you have something special that all Macaw's like?The other two are ready to work well with sunflower seeds but Jack does not show the same attitude.I think that i need to find the right treat so he will be eager to earn the reword.

bicmeister

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Bichlien
my birds have a training session once a day i'm sure that if you only train 3-4 times a week that should be fine. i remember that chaucer wasn't motivated at all, but if you train in short durations consistency, your mac will learn and might even enjoy training as he learns.

good luck

komodeno

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Nadejda or just Nadia
Bumping this up.
Lets see if anyone else is in to training