• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How often do your parrots refuse/decline a step up request?

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is a follow up post to an earlier thread this week. http://forums.avianavenue.com/afric...i-feel-like-im-being-held-hostage-parrot.html

Previous to this week I can't say that I've ever had any difficulty getting Emma, Mabel or Sachi to step up.:shrug2:

This week has been a very different story with Emma. Seems she prefers to step up only when high value treat is offered and if she's hungry enough to want it.:glare:

She's become so fickle about stepping up that on days that I know I leave for work I insist she be back inside her cage 2 hours prior.:cool4:

That's just the way it has to be until I figure out a better solution. Any ideas?

Rabbit

Walking the driveway
Meistro, Kushi, and Loki all step up without hesitation, however my roomate has a sun conure. This little guy will step up willingly until hes on your shoulder, or on people. It takes a looot of coaxing once hes there, and more often than not I have had to go into the bird room, close the door, and revove my whole shirt to get his clingy self back into his cage.

My guys were all clicker trained, and worked with repeatedly. When step ups became a bit difficult I took them into a quiet room and we worked on stepping up from a perch, stepping up from a stand, stepping up from hand to hand, and stepping up from the top of a cage. Whenever there is any hesitation that is not based in them seeing something scary, or being particularly grumpy, we go through these "drills" for about five minutes at a time, and they always seem to do better after that. The best of the best treats were offered for these practice sessions, and I remove thier special treats from thier cage, and they would only get them for a successful step up for a day or two. I always make them work for thier favorite of favorite snacks, whether it be a turn around or a step up. I find they are much more responsive to my ques when they know something nummy is in it for them.

DISCLAIMER:
(I did not remove pellets, veggies, birdie bread, sprouts, water, and vitals, and they still had some treats, just not thier aaaabsolute favorites.)

Zoie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Zoie
My budgie Sam will never step up. She bites hard lol. She actually broke skin which I thought was weird for a budgie :p She just comes and goes to her cage as she pleases. It's not an issue. I've realized she's much happier without a human.

Ribbit21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Keri
Josie is my only one that will refuse a step up. This has just started within the past month or 2. No amount of food bribes and toys can get her down when she in her mood. Some days the only way I can get her down is by getting out my step stool so that I'm standing over her a little and she will usually step right up then. It's clearly a game for her, so I try my best to not react to her. She just so darn funny sometimes that I can't help but laugh.

Just today she was on one of her highest ropes. I have a vaulted ceiling, so I can barely reach the ropes. I used to be able to get her to come down onto her hanging gym, so she was low enough for me to reach. Today I asked her to come down and I pat the bottom rung of the gym and she used to come running. Today she would take a few steps on the rope while whistling the Super Mario Bros tune. She took a few steps towards me whistling and then would yell "Boo!" and run away. Then she starts singing "Josie Bear! Bouncing here and there!" and gets within 5 inches of my hand and then swings just out of my reach. :rolleyes: She is 100% toddler!! I finally had to get my step stool to get her down.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Josie is my only one that will refuse a step up. This has just started within the past month or 2. No amount of food bribes and toys can get her down when she in her mood. Some days the only way I can get her down is by getting out my step stool so that I'm standing over her a little and she will usually step right up then. It's clearly a game for her, so I try my best to not react to her. She just so darn funny sometimes that I can't help but laugh.

Just today she was on one of her highest ropes. I have a vaulted ceiling, so I can barely reach the ropes. I used to be able to get her to come down onto her hanging gym, so she was low enough for me to reach. Today I asked her to come down and I pat the bottom rung of the gym and she used to come running. Today she would take a few steps on the rope while whistling the Super Mario Bros tune. She took a few steps towards me whistling and then would yell "Boo!" and run away. Then she starts singing "Josie Bear! Bouncing here and there!" and gets within 5 inches of my hand and then swings just out of my reach. :rolleyes: She is 100% toddler!! I finally had to get my step stool to get her down.

:omg::omg: :rofl: She mocks you and is mouthy too! IT's so much funnier reading about it happening to other people.:o:

Ribbit21

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Keri

:omg::omg: :rofl: She mocks you and is mouthy too! IT's so much funnier reading about it happening to other people.:o:

:lol:She can be a real monster some days. She actually told me to "pay attention" yesterday. I was like OMG did you really say that??

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Gizmo very rarely refuses to step up, she is so well behaved most of the time :)

Koopa steps up decently unless she knows she has to go to bed :p

Jingo. Oh Jingo. We've been working on getting him to step up onto a rope perch because 99% of the time he refuses to step up for me. The rope perch has brought that to only 75% refusal :lol:

Now for Josh? Everyone listens to Josh!

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Almost never, other than Rocky on the same day as Emma:rolleyes: I can't remember that last time someone refused a step up.

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Two things resonated with me from your post. First, if you are going through a rough patch like this, you should have her in her cage long before you have to leave. It will save stress on you and Emma and save you from the unthinkable- having to towel her or some equivalent.

And regarding the high value treats, a lot of behaviorist s believe they should get a reward every time, even though they have reliably performed the behavior for a long time. You may just have to kind of "start over" to get 100% compliance. It would be nice if you didn't have to you use the highest value treat in the house. And your point about not being hungry...well...will you have to "schedule" her ins and outs in coordination with her meals? If she's been a good girl for a long time and stepping up and not getting anything....maybe she just figured all that out. Frightening! She's so so smart.

anyway, you asked for ideas, but I believe you know way more than I. But perhaps this could be the start of a line of thinking for you.

bubblelady

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
Gussie: 0% of the time
Murphy: 100% of the time.

Does that average out to 50% of the time? :lol:

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Lurch had a issue with hands and arms so I didn't push it. Now that he's fond of us IF he wants to go somewhere quicker he'll step up to my hand or arm. BUT he wont always step up or off still and I'm still not pushing it as I'm just happy that he likes us most of the time now and is content with his life. If we're up he's free ranging and only goes in when he wants a drink or it's bed time. Going to have to work on that eventually becuase getting him inside just doesn't happen unless there's a treat he just can't resist and he's getting wise to that one too:rolleyes:
I also like my fingers and he certainly knows how to bite when upset so going slowly...

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Two things resonated with me from your post. First, if you are going through a rough patch like this, you should have her in her cage long before you have to leave. It will save stress on you and Emma and save you from the unthinkable- having to towel her or some equivalent.

And regarding the high value treats, a lot of behaviorist s believe they should get a reward every time, even though they have reliably performed the behavior for a long time. You may just have to kind of "start over" to get 100% compliance. It would be nice if you didn't have to you use the highest value treat in the house. And your point about not being hungry...well...will you have to "schedule" her ins and outs in coordination with her meals? If she's been a good girl for a long time and stepping up and not getting anything....maybe she just figured all that out. Frightening! She's so so smart.

anyway, you asked for ideas, but I believe you know way more than I. But perhaps this could be the start of a line of thinking for you.
Thanks Katy! :hug8:She is indeed crazy smart. If I could only capture on camera, how clever she truly is.:eek: - I guess I'll have to thwart her plans in advance.:cool4:

I certainly hope I never do anything that causes Emma to see me as frightening and not to be trusted. That would hurt me quite deeply.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Almost never, other than Rocky on the same day as Emma:rolleyes: I can't remember that last time someone refused a step up.

Rocky's adorable, let's swap him for an UNRULY Emma.:D

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue

Thanks Katy! :hug8:She is indeed crazy smart. If I could only capture on camera, how clever she truly is.:eek: - I guess I'll have to thwart her plans in advance.:cool4:

I certainly hope I never do anything that causes Emma to see me as frightening and not to be trusted. That would hurt me quite deeply.
Oh please understand. I used the word frightening as in scary smart! But yes, I think part of the plan needs to be thwarting her plans in advance, and there always needs to be a reward of some kind. Forever.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Rowdy is hormonal right now and I am the wrong gender, so pretty often lately. She is extremely bribable but I try not to have to go that route. The mommy said so voice is what I usually use.

I've told you about Merlin in your other thread and once today she decided yes, you will have to scoop me up if you want me, lol!

Pete almost never.

parrotluv

Avenue Veteran
My quaker Gracie, is no problem, steps up and goes willing into her cage, she is such a good girl. Zoe lately when I open her door was giving nips and as I persisted harder nips. At first I realized that she wanted to poop first before stepping up, but then she continued this routine of pushing my hand away so I started just to respect her and not persist, I now ask Do You Want to Come Out and if she pushes my hand thats a NO. But she has been more willing now to step up, it could have just been a hormonal phase because she seems back to herself. Pebbles will step up when asked, no problem. We have a new addition that we are keeping that it is one of our hahns macaw babies (well he is now 11 months) but he has started not wanting to step up and doing the down the back trick. He is going to need some working on.

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
My quaker Gracie, is no problem, steps up and goes willing into her cage, she is such a good girl. Zoe lately when I open her door was giving nips and as I persisted harder nips. At first I realized that she wanted to poop first before stepping up, but then she continued this routine of pushing my hand away so I started just to respect her and not persist, I now ask Do You Want to Come Out and if she pushes my hand thats a NO. But she has been more willing now to step up, it could have just been a hormonal phase because she seems back to herself. Pebbles will step up when asked, no problem. We have a new addition that we are keeping that it is one of our hahns macaw babies (well he is now 11 months) but he has started not wanting to step up and doing the down the back trick. He is going to need some working on.
Nice. :)

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Rocky's adorable, let's swap him for an UNRULY Emma.:D
If I thought I could breathe with one more Grey here, I might take you up on it! :D

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Lovebird Lady

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
Rarely do any of them refuse to step-up, unless they know they're going back in their cages, then they'll fly off my hand as I near their cages, at which time it's a game of cat and mouse between us, where I will scoop them up from where ever they've flown to, or I'll catch them mid-air as they are flying. Then I get little nips in protest as they are being placed back in their cages:D