• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures How often do you check on your birds?

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Mine are in their own room and when I am home I check on them every hour or two.

Mostly it's just to see those cute fluffy faces but it's also to make sure they are all okay and nothing is amiss. Well, I went in there a couple minutes ago and it's a good thing because ....

They are supposed to be in their houses not on top of somebirdie else's house. Everyone was fine and pretty happy, the problem was solved by nutir-berry bribes to get them all to go back to their houses :)

IMG_20131028_121530.jpg
When I checked to see how they escaped I discovered that I left two doors on their cages unlocked. Not open just unlocked and that's all it takes.

tozie12

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
beth
oh my! those lil devils will take any opening wont they?? :hehe:

i'm in the same room with 4 of my flock, my M2 is in a room RIGHT off my livingroom and i can see him from my seat. occasionally one of my flock will hang out in the dining room window play areas that's out of my sight. i am always aware of where everyone is at any given moment. i may leave the room to go out and put in some laundry (washer and dryers are often outside here in florida) or run to the bathroom. but i rarely leave them unattended for any length of time.

except my macaw, who lives here in the livingroom cage free even when i'm at work... well, on top of his cage and adjoining play tree. he is totally trustworthy and doesnt leave his territory.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I spend most of my day in the bird room, but outside of that I check in on them every couple of hours, especially if they've been quiet.

kimmie99

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kim Gibson
When I'm home and all are behaving, they are on their playstands in the living room. If there are issues (Kenzi plucking or whatever) then they go into their cages in the birdroom and I'll check on them in an hour or two. I don't know or think I could leave them out of their cages unattended though. Maybe I'll try some weekend when I'm home to see. I can see however trouble brewing and NOT being in their cages. Kenzi especially likes the dogs crate (wire) and usually makes a beeline for it if we're working on puzzles! That's my cue usually that she's NOT wanting to do the puzzles! :hehe:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Glad everything was OK. I do love the looks you got,though. It's like "We're here...what's it to ya?" :)

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I am home all day and the tiels are constantly out. I can see them from wherever I am so checking on them is not really an issue...yours are little devils:hehe:

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I am home all day and the tiels are constantly out. I can see them from wherever I am so checking on them is not really an issue...yours are little devils:hehe:
I suspect that tiels are not quite as devilish ;)

Trinity23

Real Name
Heather
With the 'tiels being in the living room we don't tend to check on them as much. They get company as my parents are often down there watching tv. That being said two 17 year old 'tiels are pretty mellow comparatively speaking. Pickles' cage is in the livingroom so the only time I might have to check on him is if I'm in the kitchen doing something he's not allowed to be around. Other than that, if I'm home he's out and glued to me.

greybird57

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Yvonne Haas
My Emily has gotten to the thermostat in the bird room which controls the heat so we now have a plastic square case over the thermostat and Emily is now now
allowed out of his cage unless Lois or I am present in the room all the other birds are fine and don't bother anything.
Even though we trust our birds we still should check up on them. :)

MenomaMinx

Sprinting down the street
If I'm home, Kumiko is out, with the exception of sleep – so I'm mostly listening for distress noises. If she's not having a panic attack, she's fine. Panic attacks don't happen that often anyway, and are nonexistent when there's other animals in the house – which is pretty much why I'm still on the search for a pet for her...... it has to be the right fit though.

shel

Sprinting down the street
beaker is in the bird room from the time i wake up until i go to work, with several hours out of the bird room hanging with me as i do computer stuff and get ready for the day. and when i am at work i call my husband to check on beaker. stupid little green thing turned into my heart bird very quickly.

Yoshi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessie
My husband built a glass wall across what used to be a dining room alcove and its situated right off the kitchen and living room - in full view of all of our activities. So we see and interact with them constantly.

There is also a play stand in our bedroom for evenings when we are watching TV and someone is interested in joining us - though right now that is being used by Cookie during her quarantine period. Right now the main crew are not getting the evening attention they are used to because I play with them when I get home from work, but as soon as I start playing with Cookie I don't go back to their room until I've showered and changed again.