• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How my dog died

AmberC

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amber
I'm really sorry that Sunny died in such a horrible way. I'm not surprised that you are so upset.

You made a brave and mature decision about Rodney. You're absolutely right that putting him to sleep won't bring back Sunny, and I think that Sunny's death will change how the greyhound adopton programme assesses dogs. In greyhound racing, the dogs chase a mechanical lure around a track. It's a small, fluffy and meant to look like a rabbit. Greyhounds often have a really high drive to chase anything small and fluffy, which outside the racetrack often means cats and small dogs like Sunny. It's not so much about species than it is about size. Sadly, it's not unusual for a greyhound to be totally fine with medium/large dogs but not safe to be around smaller dogs. I hope that the programme will assess their rescue dogs with small dogs as a result.
Rodney mistaked Sunny for the lure...

Lure:
grv lure.jpg
Sunny:
Sunny.jpg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Is there no-one any closer to where you live @AmberC ? I am guessing that you will not be able to travel there to NSW to pick up the puppy so it will be freighted?

AmberC

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amber
Is there no-one any closer to where you live @AmberC ? I am guessing that you will not be able to travel there to NSW to pick up the puppy so it will be freighted?
the only closer place sells them for $9500 when this place sells them for $5000 so it will be frieghted.

Last edited:

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
the only closer place sells them for $9500 when this place sells them for $5000 so it will be frieghted.
Please be careful freighting as the weather is getting hotter and you don't want anything to happen to your puppy.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
thank you everyone for all of the support and lovely comments.
I have grieved for months and nothing could EVER replace Sunny, so don't think this is a replacement, but I will be getting another dog soon.
I’m glad to hear that. :) It’s perfectly okay to get another pup whenever you are ready. More than okay! You’ll be giving another pup a wonderful home. That’s not replacing Sunny - she will always have a special place in your heart, and I’m sure she would want you to give another dog the love you gave to her.:heart2: I hope you will share pictures when he/she is home!