• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How much worth of mash do you you cook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's that time for me. I usually make about 5 weeks worth and freeze. They eat this daily along with the Harrisons and Roudybush. I only have 2 small containers left so it's time to get cracking..:hehe:

The beans have soaked overnight and are now cooking at a *rolling boil*:hehe::)

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I am down to one frozen one left. I was just thinking the same thing but have to hit the store first!

My Parrotlet is the only one that eats his cooked food so I just cook for him.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I have never had luck reheating frozen mashes... I typically make from scratch everyday or every other day, but nothing more than will stay fresh in the refrigerator (not freezer).

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have never had luck reheating frozen mashes... I typically make from scratch everyday or every other day, but nothing more than will stay fresh in the refrigerator (not freezer).
Wow!! YOu cook mash every single week?:omg:I only do the fresh stuff every single day.
:faint: The cooked stuff.....It's so time consuming.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Wow!! YOu cook mash every single week?:omg:I only do the fresh stuff every single day.
:faint: The cooked stuff.....It's so time consuming.
Once I start my new job I'm not quite sure I will have time to anymore... but yes... I do right now :o: How do you reheat it, or do you just defrost it? Whenever I tried freezing mine, when I reheated or defrosted it, it was a big pile of mush and none of the birdies would eat it :(

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Once I start my new job I'm not quite sure I will have time to anymore... but yes... I do right now :o: How do you reheat it, or do you just defrost it? Whenever I tried freezing mine, when I reheated or defrosted it, it was a big pile of mush and none of the birdies would eat it :(
It depends on what is in yours. I use rices and some fine vegetable pasta alphabets as well as pellets. They are all pretty binding and as mine defrosts it does not become mush. It finely separates and it's devoured.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Mine is homemade and has the consistency of risotto once done.:D

I place in individual containers for 3 days worth and freeze.
When needed I remove from freezer the night before, by morning it is somewhat defrosted and I will take one portion worth and heat it for 25 seconds. I will mix it around to get rid of hot spots and serve. The original consistency is still the same as risotto.

When I serve I will usually add fresh grated vegetable to it as well.:)

Does your mash start off as "mush"?:huh:

Last edited:

love4birds

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
I usually make a HUGE bowl full, about 20-30 cups. It lasts about two months or less:)

Coco, I take a container of mash out of the freezer in the evening and feed in the morning, so it defrosts in the fridge. It does turn a little mushier than it was before frozen, but my fids love it like that LOL.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Here's Emma eating her mash.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It depends on what is in yours. I use rices and some fine vegetable pasta alphabets as well as pellets. They are all pretty binding and as mine defrosts it does not become mush. It finely separates and it's devoured.
I've thought about adding rice pasta but really don't know at which point I would add it throughout the cooking time.:huh:

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Thanks for the suggestions, guys :) I've made mashes with a few different consistencies but usually when I microwave them they always come out like mush. I will have to try just defrosting instead. Probably a bit more nutritious anyway :o: I'll let you know how I fare!

Kermit

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jacque
i have 6 containters of mash in the freezer right now and those will last me up to 6 weeks

i take out a container and let it thaw in the fridge overnight and spoon some into a bowl with some water and heat in the microwave for 30 seconds stir it around a bit and the crumble one or two pieces of birdie bread into it to soak up the extra water and make it a little thicker consistency.

my birdies love it...just gobble it up. and their sooo quiet while eating their mash...its bliss for 20 minutes

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
For anyone who is interested, this is what everything looks like pre-cooking. This does not include the cooked beans, oatmeal, squash and sweet potato.:)

The cooked beans are in the second photo and have been put through the processor. They will be added once the grain, lentil and vegetable mixture is done. The only spice I'll add is cayenne pepper and chili peppers. My parrots don't seem to like other spices.:hehe:

Attachments

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
When I make mash I use whatever veggies I have on hand. The base is always quinoa and brown rice. Sometimes I add organic baby food to it. I divide it up in containers (each container is about 2 days worth of mash) and freeze. I pull out a container the night before needed and in the morning I nuke it for about 30-45 seconds. I then stir it so there are no hot spots, put it in bowls and let it cool a bit before I put the bowls on their playstands. I've never had it turn into a mushy mess. My fids like it served warm, first thing in the morning. I keep Harrison's in their bowls all day and when I am home I give them a bit of fresh fruit or dried fruit.

Attachments

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Alright.. here's the cooked product. At the moment I am steaming the sweet potato and butternut squash. When all is done it will ALL be mixed all together including the pulverized beans.:D

Attachments

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
wow, you guys are making me want to make more mash even though I have a lot already in the freezer, haha. I will most likely make some mash tomorrow. What kind of veggies/grains do you put in the mash and how long do you cook it for?

My mash has beans and rice in it, and a few different spices. I need to add more stuff to it now, especially since I now have a food processor.

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
I put in zuchini, squash, brocolli, corn, assorted peppers, dried peppers from the little mexican bodega, carrots, sweet potato baby food, chopped up greens, and sometimes I add the beans from an organic bean soup mix after I soak and then simmer them for 30 plus minutes. It all depends on what I have on hand in the fridge and in the pantry.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This time I made it with Brown rice, quinoa, amaranthe, oatmeal, kidney beans, red lentils, garbanzo beans, and millet!:D Veggies were, brocoli stalk, rapini collards, carrots, sweet potato and butternut squash.

Jadie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jade
Oh saemma!! I wanted to thank you for the longest time for encouraging me to keep trying mash with my guys....Charlie (who i wanted to eat the mash the most) loooves mash now!! I have to make more but he was getting and eating it every morning! Polly likes it too but if I put millet in it, he eats all the millet out and leaves the rest.Buddy the quaker likes it too! I have yet to try it with my smaller guys though.
So thanks again sweetie!:hug8::heart:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:dance4: Wow!! That's awesome Jadie!!

Status
Not open for further replies.