• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How much to take a bird to the vet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shikabane.Hime13

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lenette
My fid, a baby sun conure, hasn't come home yet (another 3 weeks) but I've been extensively researching the several exotic vets in my area until finally settling on the certified avian/exotics vet just a few miles from the aviary my faby is coming from. I asked for a quote (visited the clinic to ask about what a wellness exam entails and the cost) and this was the result:

Wellness Exam: $144 (this includes the 20% discount I receive for getting my baby from the nearby aviary whom they're highly familiar with)
CBC/Chem: $170
PBFD: $88
Chlamydia: $88

So, I'm looking at a total of $490...

However, the vet informed me that the CBC/Chem would be the most crucial to have done to have a "baseline" of my faby's "normal". So I'm more than likely going to have the exam and CBC/Chem done the first visit and the PBFD/Chlamydia tests performed within the first 2 weeks of February after my next payday.

So by postponing those two tests briefly, my bill will come to $314 on my first visit and the second visit will be $176.

Believe me, I was floored when they gave me the quotes. But to me it will all be worth it because I want my little girl to be with me a looooooong time. Health is not something I will skimp on just because the prices are sky high.

Mrcrowley

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
My friend fids are worth any money I have so I do not care how much.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Don't forget polyoma.

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Just took 4 of mine in. 3 caiques for nails/beak trim and a lovebird for observation/analysis ( she has been falling a lot lately)

Turns out the lovebird just needed a flight trim. The caiques just needed a touch up (vet said they obviously get loads of opportunity to trim them themselves).

Total Cost R535, /8 = $67, plus one heart attack for me.

They gave the caiques a short whiff of gas before trimming. I explained in GREAT DETAIL ( beforehand) what would happen if one of my darlings should not wake up........

But they should have given me some too.

BAM-BAM was slow coming round after the trim. For a long second I thought he had stopped breathing...........

I looked at the SO. He looked at me, then for the nearest exit ( nervously). He knew I would kill everyone in the room with my BARE HANDS if anything happened to the fids.

I looked at BAM_BAM again, Vet holding him upright in a towel. I was about to reach for her throat when his eyes fluttered.

30secs later he was fine. I
WAS NOT FINE. .......

JP

Last edited:

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
I thought my wellness exam with discount from aviary was $70 but your total cost sounds right so I could be wrong.

My fid, a baby sun conure, hasn't come home yet (another 3 weeks) but I've been extensively researching the several exotic vets in my area until finally settling on the certified avian/exotics vet just a few miles from the aviary my faby is coming from. I asked for a quote (visited the clinic to ask about what a wellness exam entails and the cost) and this was the result:

Wellness Exam: $144 (this includes the 20% discount I receive for getting my baby from the nearby aviary whom they're highly familiar with)
CBC/Chem: $170
PBFD: $88
Chlamydia: $88

So, I'm looking at a total of $490...

However, the vet informed me that the CBC/Chem would be the most crucial to have done to have a "baseline" of my faby's "normal". So I'm more than likely going to have the exam and CBC/Chem done the first visit and the PBFD/Chlamydia tests performed within the first 2 weeks of February after my next payday.

So by postponing those two tests briefly, my bill will come to $314 on my first visit and the second visit will be $176.

Believe me, I was floored when they gave me the quotes. But to me it will all be worth it because I want my little girl to be with me a looooooong time. Health is not something I will skimp on just because the prices are sky high.

Mrcrowley

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
Just took 4 of mine in. 3 caiques for nails/beak trim and a lovebird for observation/analysis ( she has been falling a lot lately)

Turns out the lovebird just needed a flight trim. The caiques just needed a touch up (vet said they obviously get loads of opportunity to trim them themselves).

Total Cost R535, /8 = $67, plus one heart attack for me.

They gave the caiques a short whiff of gas before trimming. I explained in GREAT DETAIL ( beforehand) what would happen if one of my darlings should not wake up........

But they should have given me some too.

BAM-BAM was slow coming round after the trim. For a long second I thought he had stopped breathing...........

I looked at the SO. He looked at me, then for the nearest exit ( nervously). He knew I would kill everyone in the room with my BARE HANDS if anything happened to the fids.

I looked at BAM_BAM again, Vet holding him upright in a towel. I was about to reach for her throat when his eyes fluttered.

30secs later he was fine. I
WAS NOT FINE. .......

JP
I love ya JP in a manly way if you know what I mean..Can you imagine any of our AA female's would be doing in your situation. You girls would have grabbed the aid or doctor by his package and told nothing is going to happen to my Kid's rite cause you know what will happen if anything doe's just typing that made me laugh like hell . Glad to hear everything went alright though.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
My initial first bird exam is usually 300-350. Checkups are usually 100-200 per bird unless I have bloodwork done.

Shikabane.Hime13

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lenette
I love ya JP in a manly way if you know what I mean..Can you imagine any of our AA female's would be doing in your situation. You girls would have grabbed the aid or doctor by his package and told nothing is going to happen to my Kid's rite cause you know what will happen if anything doe's just typing that made me laugh like hell . Glad to hear everything went alright though.
Sounds about right. I certainly would be in a violent mood should anything happen to my faby if she had to have a procedure where she was put under. One of the main reasons I'm going to wait until she's maybe 6 months of age to have her microchipped.

Peacelovepets

Jogging around the block
My yearly vet exams cost between $90 and $100. This is for my vet looking them over and a gram stain. I personally have not had any blood work done with either of mine. Not sure what my vet charges if I ever do have it done, though.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Sounds about right. I certainly would be in a violent mood should anything happen to my faby if she had to have a procedure where she was put under. One of the main reasons I'm going to wait until she's maybe 6 months of age to have her microchipped.
Anesthesia is one very important reason to have a qualified vet who has a proper staff. No matter the age of your bird, it's always going to be a risk for them to go under. Bloodwork beforehand can tell you a lot about the potential safety, but there is still a huge risk. If your vet tells you otherwise I'd run in the opposite direction.

stephwin

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Stephanie
A physical exam by my avian vet runs about $90. We had bloodwork done a few weeks ago and that was maybe $120 or $140? I'd have to double check. But that was for a CBC and disease testing. We didn't do a gram stain because Slimer wouldn't poop there, but I think that's about $40.

We probably spent at least 30 minutes there talking to the vet and the tech. Both own parrots and we were asked a ton of questions even though we are a returning patient. Everything from what we are feeding, types of toys, has he been hormonal lately, etc.

cutestbuddhist

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lucy
I honestly wouldn't risk having my bird be put under anesthesia for something that will most likely not benefit them. For something so small and delicate as a conure (or any bird for that matter) it's incredibly high risk even when the proper precautions are taken.

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
Modern gas anaesthesia is incredibly safe for birds when normal precautions are taken.

I have absolutely zero concern about having my boys put under as, IMO from having observed it many times, the stress of handling is much worse than them being knocked out for a short period. More thorough health care can also be given when the vet's not worrying about towling/holding still/stressing/etc.

Shikabane.Hime13

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lenette
I honestly wouldn't risk having my bird be put under anesthesia for something that will most likely not benefit them. For something so small and delicate as a conure (or any bird for that matter) it's incredibly high risk even when the proper precautions are taken.
I personally see microchipping as beneficial in the (heaven forbid) unfortunate circumstance were I to be out with her in warmer weather (planning to attend the National Cherry Blossom Festival with her in spring) and she got away due to fright or a gust of wind. While I would hope her harness and leash would be sufficient to keep her from taking off, I feel every precautionary measure should be taken to ensure she would be safely returned if she were to flutter off someplace by some sheer freak of nature. More often than not she will likely be in the house with me, but I don't think one could ever be too careful.. To me, it will be something to ease my mind.

cutestbuddhist

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lucy
Ah, I guess this just comes from someone whose conure (under the extremely skilled hands of an amazing avian vet who performs surgeries every day on both parrots and wild birds) just up and stopped breathing a couple hours after a surgery. Again, I personally wouldn't risk it. In my parrot's case it was necessary, but I still knew/was informed of the risks. Never in my life would I want someone to go through that sort of loss over something that isn't needed.

Last edited:

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
My vet charges about $80 for a checkup and another $75 for a blood panel, which is done only every other year. A well bird checkup and blood panel is a good idea even if you are sure your birds are healthy, so the vet has something to compare to if they become ill.
If you cannot afford to take your birds to the vet for a checkup, you should at least buy a scale to weigh them. A scale is a good idea anyway. For small birds, any small postal scale that can weigh in grams is fine. Weigh them a few times a week, in the morning before they eat. An illness will usually appear as a weight loss before a bird will act sick.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I just took Itsy in last night for a checkup. She hasn't been feeling great, tired but still eating well and maintaining her weight. It was $455 for a check-up, blood tests and fecal! It just seems to get worse! And she didn't even get nails & beak done.

Status
Not open for further replies.