• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How much time is needed in one day?

Cara

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
We both work full time and the birds are out when we're home - so probably 4 hours a day if we are on similar schedules, maybe more if hubby gets home early or if I'm able to work at home. Since I have Toos, I consider the macaws to be less demanding of actually direct one on one contact. All 3 of my macaws are very happy when I'm in the room with them - talking, singing, telling stories, playing ball while I clean the room, watch tv and make bird toys, or patting one of the Toos. If I can work from home, which I've been doing about once a week lately, I rotate 5 of the 6 birds on the swings and gyms near my desk.

And I echo what is said about cages and enrichment. My guys get at least one new toy (a foraging toy) every day and I try to switch out the toys in their cage on the weekends. We don't go on vacation together, and any extra money is spent on the birds. I never just sit and watch tv, I am always making bird toys. Sometimes I bring a bucket of stuff with me if I'm going t be hanging out at my Mom's with my nieces. They help me make foot toys for the gang. I love to read, and I feel like I have to make time to sit and read a book, because I can't read and make toys and I ALWAYS need bird toys.

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
My business is 6 intensive months on and 6 months off... My flock re-homes, rescues, and those here as babies either don't know the difference (babies) or appreciate their new home. They aren't solitary though and all have room mates. We have macaws and cockatoos. Also, they all have very large cages because my time is so limited during season (business) with lots of toys.

petiteoiseau

Real Name
Bibi
It depends. There isn't a formula. It varies with species, individual personality, number of birds and housing. If you are going to have a lone bird in a cage, you will need to spend A LOT of time with it or the bird will suffer. If you have two and the birds are comfortable housed together because they are mate-bonded, you won't need to spend more than 2 - 3 hours a day with them. If you have a bunch of little ones in a large flight cage, you really don't need to spend any one-on-one time because they are fine and happy by themselves. If you have several birds not from the same species but of similar sizes and they all live loose in a room without problems, you won't need to spend more than a couple of hours with them. But, if you plan on getting a single 'needy' species bird (like a macaw or a too) and have to go to class, study and have a normal social life, you won't be able to provide all the company the bird will need regardless of how much enrichment material the bird gets. Some birds will resign themselves to been lonely without making a big fuss but just because they don't scream, bite or pluck, it doesn't mean they are happy about it.

Karnkate

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karnkate (Lookkaew/Crystal)
Thanks everyone for the info.

senorabarb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barb
Are you sure that you will be able to get a job freelancing? If your work schedule in the future becomes demanding, is there someone else who will be able to spend time with your bird?

Karnkate

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
I did not say that I'll get a freelancing job but ideally I wish to work at most 8 hours a day or in a quiet workplace.
That's the most I can handle or else I may risk having what my psychiatrist call it "Asperger's meltdown" (my switch breaks), and it's not gonna be good to anyone :(

Hofstadter

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Ред
Well for me the birds decide when they get some time out. Im pretty much in the room with them all day, and i dont really do much. So if they want to say hi they will make a racket. The princess parrots have each other so they arent as fussed. My lovebird, bonded to me, will jump to the rope at his door and make flapping noises. Usually he stays out about two hours total each day.

Karnkate

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Speaking about free time.
How much should I spend on scratching my bird?

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best

Karnkate

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
But sometimes the scratch becomes something sexual to them isn't it?
How will I know if she is still "enjoying the scratch" or well, the other option...