• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How much food will an Ekkie eat each day?

Ekkiebabie

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Mollie Stephens
Can someone help me? I have a well researched well balanced chop that I make for my Ekkies (I have one male and one female). My question is “how much” should I be offering (approximately) at a time? I feed them twice daily. Thank you in advance for any input

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The easiest answer is... How much do they eat? Offer that ;) if you give 1/2 a cup and they only eat half, offer 1/4 or 1/3 cup.

The more scientific method would be to weigh your bird. Birds eat 10 to 20% of their body weight a day. So offer 20% of their body weight divided between two portions and then adjust from there.

Ekkiebabie

Real Name
Mollie Stephens
Can someone help me? I have a well researched well balanced chop that I make for my Ekkies (I have one male and one female). My question is “how much” should I be offering (approximately) at a time? I feed them twice daily. Thank you in advance for any input

ParrotNuts

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Atharv
The first consideration for me is what is BEST in the organic section today? Then, I work within a framework similar to @Mizzely:
1 or 2 peppers
2 leafy greens (can be the tops of beets, radishes, carrots, or "regular" greens like chard, arugula, dandelion, watercress, mustard greens, spinach, etc.)
3-4 vegetables (snap or snow peas, beets, sweet potato, radishes, daikon, carrots, etc.)
1 cup soaked tree nuts
1 cup of sprouted psittacine mix (Sprout People, China Prairie, Avian Organics, etc.)
2 cups of sprouted peas, chick peas, mung beans, or adzuki beans

I add whatever fruit is at its best to individual bowls in appropriate portions for that bird, maybe 2 or 3 times/week. I'm not big on offering lots of fruits and grains: my birds don't burn the energy they would in the wild, so I can't justify loading them with lots of carbs and sugars. I might add a cup of organic rice (Texmati Royal Rice Blend) once per month.

I make one batch per week and try to vary it by week as much as possible, but I live in a small town with limited selection.
This by @aooratrix should help :).

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
(Duplicate threads merged to contain all responses in one place.)

Welcome to the Avenue Mollie 1.welcome signs.gif

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Start off with a 1/4 cup each meal. IME, eclectus can be voracious eaters. If they're still hungry, and they'll let you know, I'd increase in increments until you find out what they need each day. Are you offering pellets, too? If so, they should be natural. You probably know that already, but I don't know what you know, so...

@Mizzely gave you excellent guidelines for amounts. If you can handle your birds, weigh them every morning for a week. You can get a digital scale that will do pounds and grams at Walmart for under $30; that's what I use. Weigh them in grams and offer 10%-20% of their body weight. You can use the scale to measure their food, too. Put the empty dish on the scale and hit the "tare" button. Then, you can add the food to see how much it weighs. Go from there. Good luck with your birds.

Ekkiebabie

Real Name
Mollie Stephens
Start off with a 1/4 cup each meal. IME, eclectus can be voracious eaters. If they're still hungry, and they'll let you know, I'd increase in increments until you find out what they need each day. Are you offering pellets, too? If so, they should be natural. You probably know that already, but I don't know what you know, so...

@Mizzely gave you excellent guidelines for amounts. If you can handle your birds, weigh them every morning for a week. You can get a digital scale that will do pounds and grams at Walmart for under $30; that's what I use. Weigh them in grams and offer 10%-20% of their body weight. You can use the scale to measure their food, too. Put the empty dish on the scale and hit the "tare" button. Then, you can add the food to see how much it weighs. Go from there. Good luck with your birds.
(Duplicate threads merged to contain all responses in one place.)

Welcome to the Avenue Mollie View attachment 378493
Thanks so much for the guidelines. I have a digital scale and weigh them periodically. Also, I do offer natural pellets in addition to fresh vegetable chop with limited fruit and nuts as treats