• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How much food throughout day?

Holly O

Meeting neighbors
It seems like my linnies eat a lot. They have been successfully switched to pellets (and fresh food) though, yay!!! But they are emptying their dishes a few times a day. I just wanted to be sure - I should always keep them topped up right? They are new and it seems like they eat so much more than a week ago....

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I always keep some pellets in the cage. Are you sure that they are eating it all?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
My Linnies seemed to eat 80% of their day. This species of bird have a high metabolism and it is normal for them to eat large amounts of food. That is why they also have large and messy droppings. If you have Linnies you should never have any food issues. That is a positive. Of course you need to watch their weight to be sure its in the normal range per you avian vet.

Holly O

Meeting neighbors
Thank you! And yes, they are eating their dish clean. Piggies! A new struggle is now with this vision cage, when I open the food door they come rushing over...and out...and I can't get to the bowl without stepping them onto a perch and placing them back into the cage at the opposite end, and then they've made it back just in time to both climb onto the food dish as I am about to fit it back into position in the cage, making it darn near impossible to do!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Oh dear I used to have one of those cages. Never again. All of them are too small. Also too tall. Birds really need a cage that is wider than taller. I found them to be very hard to clean and those plastic perches are really not good for a birds feet. They are far too expensive for what you get. Know what I did with the one I had? Threw it in a dumpster! You can get a great flight cage for just about what you paid for the vision. Check out Petco.com.