• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How much corn and apple is safe?

Ephy

Walking the driveway
My brats LOVE corn.

I have tried to withhold large corn and apple, but I have no idea how much is safe and how much is too much?

I have been trying to supplement my very picky senior bird, using 1-3 corns a day stuffed with his pigeon multi vitamin.

My Sparrow gets jealous, so i give him corn too. Sadly, he wont fall so easily for the vitamin injections I do.

Just wondering, how much is too much?
Should I increase corn and apple?

Are cooked peas safe? How much is too much?

Side note, i cook the corn and peas from frozen, offer all 3 daily.

Farfah

Walking the driveway
I've wondered this myself with my budgie's fav foods. I think the issue isn't so much that you could feed them TOO much corn and apple. The issue is that they are missing nutrients from all the other fruits and veg that aren't eating. Why not mix in other options with the corn and apple so they have a chance to taste them? It could take a while but they might find new favourites.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Many don’t feed a lot of corn for various reasons.
I feed it fairly regularly to my macaw but I never feed it to my budgie.
@Lady Jane might give you some information regarding corn.

elena_2004

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elena
My brats LOVE corn.

I have tried to withhold large corn and apple, but I have no idea how much is safe and how much is too much?

I have been trying to supplement my very picky senior bird, using 1-3 corns a day stuffed with his pigeon multi vitamin.

My Sparrow gets jealous, so i give him corn too. Sadly, he wont fall so easily for the vitamin injections I do.

Just wondering, how much is too much?
Should I increase corn and apple?

Are cooked peas safe? How much is too much?

Side note, i cook the corn and peas from frozen, offer all 3 daily.
They certainly won't harm them, however do not feed them excessively with them. Try introducing other fruit and vegetables, always make sure that they're safe for them before. Remember to wash all fruit and vegetables before, and remove any fruit seeds as they can be poisonous!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I don´t offer apple to often because of it´s sugar content. As for corn, I only offer a couple of pieces every now and then as a treat in the veggies. I choose fruits like berries and kiwi over apple. My lovebirds LOVE peas.

Ephy

Walking the driveway
Thanks for all the great replies.
I do offer all kinds of veggies, and usually avoid fruit except for apples, bananas, berries and grapes.

They are so picky though. If there is corn or peas, they wont touch any other veggie so I try to swap it up.

Thanks

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The experience I have had with feeding budgies fresh corn is not a good one. When I first acquired an English Budgie the breeder told me to feed him lots of corn on the cob to keep the weight on him. I did. AT 2 years of age I knew something was wrong with him. He was vomiting up alot of liquids all over the cage, even got me wet. He also did not look good. Took him to my wonderful avian vet and he was found to have heavy yeast in the crop. So little yellow budgie was put on two medications, anti nausea and amphotericin B which is the best med for AGY. Avian Gastric Yeast. He was on it for two months because he kept testing positive . True to the disease he went in to the wasting syndrome where nutrients are no longer absorbed and despite having a good appetite he lost significant weight. We tried so many things from teas to herbs and so on. Nothing worked and we ended his suffering.

I spent much time after that wondering where he got it from. My vet said most of the time it is from the parents. The breeder had his birds tested and all were clean. Then I wondered about all the corn on the cob he ate. Each corn kernel has an outer membrane which is hard on the digestion of both tiny animals and humans. I cannot eat corn either. I had a discussion with my vet and asked him if the membrane stayed in the crop longer than the rest of the corn what would happen. He said the vets were discussing this very subject. Nothing has been proven, no scientific testing has been done to my knowledge but I stopped feeding fresh corn to budgies and never had ACV again.

Ephy

Walking the driveway
The experience I have had with feeding budgies fresh corn is not a good one. When I first acquired an English Budgie the breeder told me to feed him lots of corn on the cob to keep the weight on him. I did. AT 2 years of age I knew something was wrong with him. He was vomiting up alot of liquids all over the cage, even got me wet. He also did not look good. Took him to my wonderful avian vet and he was found to have heavy yeast in the crop. So little yellow budgie was put on two medications, anti nausea and amphotericin B which is the best med for AGY. Avian Gastric Yeast. He was on it for two months because he kept testing positive . True to the disease he went in to the wasting syndrome where nutrients are no longer absorbed and despite having a good appetite he lost significant weight. We tried so many things from teas to herbs and so on. Nothing worked and we ended his suffering.

I spent much time after that wondering where he got it from. My vet said most of the time it is from the parents. The breeder had his birds tested and all were clean. Then I wondered about all the corn on the cob he ate. Each corn kernel has an outer membrane which is hard on the digestion of both tiny animals and humans. I cannot eat corn either. I had a discussion with my vet and asked him if the membrane stayed in the crop longer than the rest of the corn what would happen. He said the vets were discussing this very subject. Nothing has been proven, no scientific testing has been done to my knowledge but I stopped feeding fresh corn to budgies and never had ACV again.
thank you so much for sharing. This is quite terrifying.
I am so sorry to hear of the struggles you went through.

Ephy

Walking the driveway
Ive been thinking a lot about what happened to your budgie and it's made me very afraid to give corn.

I watch my House Sparrow with corn and he chomps on the corn until all the corn guts comes out and then leaves the skin. Sort of how he eats mealworms, lol.

So I am not as nervous about giving corn to him as much as I am now about giving it to my dove.

My dove is well into his senior years and I just cant get him to take his vitamins without slipping it inside a couple corn.

I always cook the frozen corn in microwave for 1-2 mins, when its cool, i squeeze out most of the inside and scoop in as much of his powder vitamins as I can.

He gets about 3-4 a day. Can doves digest corn skins better than a budgie can?

I just cant seem to get him to eat anything healthy but he will always eat corn.

I have also tried sprinkling his vitamins on just the "corn guts" but as soon as he tastes he, he wont touch it.

What should I do? Should I not give him any corn?
Is this too much corn for him everyday?

Thanks

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Can doves digest corn skins better than a budgie can?
Corn is mostly carbohydrates - sugar. I know nothing about doves but I will tag someone who does. My postings about fresh corn are strictly referring to budgies. Plus this is my experience with corn and budgies so your question is better directed to an avian vet. @Birdbabe

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The apples, bananas and grapes you are giving your birds are three of the highest sugar content fruits. Too much sugar in a bird's diet can cause diabetes, and affect the liver and kidneys. Berries (except strawberries) are fine.

Here is an article on nutrition for birds that you should read (maybe a couple of times);

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Ephy

You have a dove & a sparrow? Are there any others?

I think there may be some confusion to the type of Birds you are feeding & I want to ensure your getting proper information.

Wildbirds are fed differently from parrots. In my opinion regarding the apples & other fruits, sugar is sugar & isn't good in quantity except for birds or parrots that specifically require high sugar. Hummingbird's immediately comes to my mind.

The corn I am not sure about, because of the birds your household has... being wild birds, I am not positive of the dietary needs.

I'm going to add in a shoutout to @finchly I'm not sure if she has any sparrow's or not.

Ephy

Walking the driveway
Yeah I have a dove and rescued House Sparrow.

There is so little information when it comes to smaller bids, especially wild ones like my Sparrow.

I wish there was more small bird dedicated forums like there are for large birds and parrots.

@Ephy

You have a dove & a sparrow? Are there any others?

I think there may be some confusion to the type of Birds you are feeding & I want to ensure your getting proper information.

Wildbirds are fed differently from parrots. In my opinion regarding the apples & other fruits, sugar is sugar & isn't good in quantity except for birds or parrots that specifically require high sugar. Hummingbird's immediately comes to my mind.

The corn I am not sure about, because of the birds your household has... being wild birds, I am not positive of the dietary needs.

I'm going to add in a shoutout to @finchly I'm not sure if she has any sparrow's or not.

Ephy

Walking the driveway
Yeast problems, oh thats not good.
I never would have thought birds could get yeast problems.

How can you tell if a bird has yeast problems? Anything in particular I should watch out for?

I have cut out the corn, apple, grapes etc.

Now i am just giving more pellets, peas, cucumber, salad greens, and carrots.

Can they have these daily at least?

Too much corn can cause yeast problems, apple, in small amounts,,peas, parsley, celery leaves,,all good, they will eat, play, throw those last 3 items around.. haha

Ephy

Walking the driveway
So, if I stop the corn..

Just wondering if maybe another option could be, lightly misting like 1/2 cup of seed with water(or bird safe herbal tea) for his first meal of the morning and then sprinkle his vitamins over the seed?

I would make sure to remove all of it within 2 hours.

If I made sure to remove it within 1-2 hours, could this potentially work? His vitamin powder will stick to his fav. Food and hopefully he will eat it?

Thoughts?

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Great question and thank you for coming here.

Pigeons/doves are mostly obligated seed/grain eaters. I will leave a link here for you. I don't know much about your sparrows needs, so I will leave that with others. For your dove buy a grain mix that is for doves. These mixes usually do not have large kernels but more like popcorn size kernels. Doves and pigeons can live long and healthy lives on grain, they are not parrots and they do not have the same requirements. You are better offering some leafy greens as foraging options and I would stop offering fruits on a regular basis. There are very few species of dove that eat fruit which are kept in captivity. It would help if you are specific about what type of dove you have. :)

Last edited:

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
As for the fresh, there are lots of other things you can add in:

Shred some carrot & then chop it into small pieces from there...

Floret pieces (The tiny little pieces) from Broccoli & Califower

Just to name a couple...

Be sure if you feed fresh to use a vinegar wash yo remove pesticides & possible bacteria off the veggies. I use a mix of lemon juice, vinegar & water.

2/3 rds @ minimum of the acids
1/3 of water

I let them soak. Then rinse well at least 1 time.

Since they are mainly grainavores per @fashionfobie

I say learn to sprout & feed them that. You can sprout grains & seeds. If done properly it's super nutritional for them & we all post about it in this area on AA. We can also help if you get stuck, have issues w/ a crop, ect...

If you decide to sprout, there is also wonderful info on the sproutpeople.org