• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How many toys ?

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
MY conure is still being kept in her cage as she isnt tame to my hand yet still a bit skittish i am working hard on getting her more comfortable with me so she can be let free and there is no drama of catching her with a towel or a net to get her back into her cage and loosing any trust i have gained from her in the last two weeks.

I currently have four toys in her cage with three of them being against the bars one she has showed no interest in ish the other two she plays with a lot ( she has destroyed a vine ball on one of them in no time at all need to get another )

her hanging toy she plays with a lot as well i have more toys to add a foraging toy ( first time she saw it she went crazy flapping wings wasnt happy ) and some more hanging toys how many toys can you put in a cage befor its overkill ?

i put her toys on the seedcatcher for a few days before i add into the cage so she gets used to them i dont want to congest her cage but want to keep her occupied.

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Can we see pictures of your set up?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Any time you forcefully catch a bird or towel it you loose some trust so if you’re planning on catching, towelling and netting after taming then you need to expect to loose the trust you built up.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Any time you forcefully catch a bird or towel it you loose some trust so if you’re planning on catching, towelling and netting after taming then you need to expect to loose the trust you built up.
Not something i plan on doing thats why i want her cage to be as engaging as possible for her Mojo is dictating the progress not me

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It depends. Some birds like a lot, while others are afraid if they feel too crowded.

I usually try to stick to a formula of providing at least:

1 shredding/easy to destroy toy (balsa, sola, paper, etc)
1 chipping/harder to destroy toy (pine, craft sticks, etc)
1 noisy/durable toy (plastics, metals, etc)
1 foraging toy (can be durable or destroyable)

And then adjust based on what your bird likes. I tend to give my Jardine's 3 different chippy toys and about 4 foragers at any time in his cage, and he has more outside in his play area (right now 1 shredder, 3 noisy, 2 Foragers, and 3 chippy outside the cage). I usually let him have toys for 1 to 3 weeks (depending on how much he is playing with them or not) before rotating. I will swap toys around between spots in his cage and play area, but also retire one or two and add one or two. Sometimes simply moving a toy to a new position is all the incentive they need to get interested in it, so I don't do a complete overhaul often.