• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How many days to wait before a parrot can enter a freshly painted home/room?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
When we painted the birdroom I waited 2 weeks or so before moving them in, I didn't use low VOC. I'm planning to repaint my bedroom this summer (a light green or light sky blue), and am going to use low or no VOC for that. Kiwi will be moved out of my bedroom too. I will stuff towels under the doors of the birdroom and open the windows in my bedroom/setup fans etc to air it all out. I also read the darker the paint color the more VOC's it has, the lighter it is the less VOC's it has.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I also read the darker the paint color the more VOC's it has, the lighter it is the less VOC's it has.
This is interesting. I had never heard of this.

suileeka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
Typically, even with a low/zero-VOC paint base, the tint/colorant mixed in will add VOCs - generally the darker the color, the more colorant that is needed. But this also varies by company... Benjamin Moore has a paint out that is supposed to bind the colorant so that it still has zero VOCs after tinted, and Sherwin-Williams Harmony is supposed to be so low odor that you can use it in an occupied room.

The cheaper paint I've used from Lowes before, though 'low VOC', still had a strong smell and I waited 2 weeks with that before moving the birds into the room. So I think it's impossible to give a set answer, because of the variance in even low/zero VOC paints when it comes to odor. I do not and cannot move my birds into another house when painting. If I'm painting in another room, I put a towel under their door, turn their air filter up to high, and use fans to direct the fumes away from their part of the house.

Use your nose, paint when it's nice enough to open the windows to help with airing the room out, remember to look out for sense-fatigue when you're evaluating the remaining odor, and add on some extra time to accommodate birds' more sensitive respiratory systems. I'm going to use Sherwin-Williams in my dining room soon, so I will be curious to see how different it is from the el cheapo paint I've used before.

Status
Not open for further replies.