• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How many days to wait before a parrot can enter a freshly painted home/room?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What's the mininum amount of days recommended?

Katster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have no idea, but it will be interesting to know, just in case!

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes. I'm curious too and want to be ultra cautious.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Until its dry and fully aired out and doesn't stink of paint? A week maybe?

Merlie

Avenue Spotlight Award
When I painted last year, I used the Sherwin Williams low/no odor type paint. I didn't have the luxury being able to move my birds to another location for days. I moved everyone into the garage while the painting was being done. My guys were only out of the house while the painting was being done, and then, for a few hours after.

I had all windows open, exhaust fans in the windows and fans everywhere. I have to say, I really had no residual odor using the Sherwin Williams paint .. it was actually a pleasant experience using them with no strong odors to give me headaches.

My birds didn't seem to be affected at all. However .. I'm sure what I did wasn't ideal, even using the low/no odor paints, but I didn't have a choice.

If you're using regular paint, I think I'd wait a good 72 hrs. minimum. My rule of thumb is .. if I can smell it .. not safe .. then .. when I can't smell it anymore, I add another day or two, since birds are way more sensitive than humans.

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Personally if you are using REG paint...I would air out the house with fans and give myself/birds a full week! The paint needs to "cure" so to speak and will let off odors while doing this...ALSO what temps are you having now????? the cooler the weather the longer the time for it to set up and dry properly, so you would add on days for this too!

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Until its dry and fully aired out and doesn't stink of paint? A week maybe?
I don't think I will have the luxury of waiting a whole week.:eek:

When I painted last year, I used the Sherwin Williams low/no odor type paint. I didn't have the luxury being able to move my birds to another location for days. I moved everyone into the garage while the painting was being done. My guys were only out of the house while the painting was being done, and then, for a few hours after.

I had all windows open, exhaust fans in the windows and fans everywhere. I have to say, I really had no residual odor using the Sherwin Williams paint .. it was actually a pleasant experience using them with no strong odors to give me headaches.

My birds didn't seem to be affected at all. However .. I'm sure what I did wasn't ideal, even using the low/no odor paints, but I didn't have a choice.

If you're using regular paint, I think I'd wait a good 72 hrs. minimum. My rule of thumb is .. if I can smell it .. not safe .. then .. when I can't smell it anymore, I add another day or two, since birds are way more sensitive than humans.

Thanks Merlie.:) The entire place will be painted in Benjamin Moore Ecospec paint. I hope will be done in a timely manner.:D

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Personally if you are using REG paint...I would air out the house with fans and give myself/birds a full week! The paint needs to "cure" so to speak and will let off odors while doing this...ALSO what temps are you having now????? the cooler the weather the longer the time for it to set up and dry properly, so you would add on days for this too!
Very interesting info about the temperature. Thanks BF. All this crazy painting will take place between June 1rst and June 21rst. :)

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
If you can't move them out of the house, then I would paint the house in sections at least leaving the bird room to be done after (or first) with a week in between. That way you can move them to a safe area (after the smell has dissipated). I would NOT use oil based paint as the fumes are much worse and will last longer. Even with regular latex it takes several days to a week to not smell. Make sure you can close at least one door in between the birds and the fresh paint and put a towel at the base of the door to block the crack. If it is warm enough out, you can open the birds' window, otherwise just open windows in the painted area and have exhaust fans running.
Keeping the birds safe is not a "luxury", it is a requirement of owning birds. Boarding is an option or taking them to a relative's or friend's house are others.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I would say about a week too (I have seen people say up to 3-4 weeks even!), so long as it has been aired out well, and you can't smell any fumes.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for all the advice. I guess I'll find out soon enough. I will try to remember to report back once the painters have completed the job.:)

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I waited about 2 weeks to let the paint fumes, carpet cleaning fumes, and any other fumes to leave our newly remodeled apartment before moving in. It seemed like the smell would NEVER go away. Luckily, Squeeky was able to stay at my Mom's during that time. I didn't have Scooty yet.

Merlie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Keeping the birds safe is not a "luxury", it is a requirement of owning birds. Boarding is an option or taking them to a relative's or friend's house are others.
Of course, keeping them safe is not a "luxury". I didn't quite mean it that way. I wasn't moving to a new house where I could keep my parrots at the old place until work was done, I didn't have anyone who could take my birds for a week or so. Not going to board, unless it was a true emergency .. I fear the stuff my birds might get from being boarded around other birds. Often, when dealing with larger flocks, like mine, you have to work around things.

I felt, using the paint that I did, and having the birds out of the house, the use of fans and such .. was going to be okay. I wasn't painting their primary rooms, so that helped.

This summer .. both bird rooms need to be painted and I'm going to do it in shifts. Room one birds will go downstairs until the room is safe, then .. I'll tackle room two the same way. I'm more nervous about painting the bird rooms than I was the main house, as they spend more of their time in the bird rooms than in the living/dining area. Still using the low/no odor paint, but will allow at least 3 days before anybirdie goes back.

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
We used the low voc paint and there was literally no smell to it within hours. We kept them out of the living room for 36 hours just to be safe and had no problems.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
We used the low VOC paint too in our bird room, but honestly is was almost 2 weeks before the smell dissipated.

Ginger

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks Merlie.:) I cannot imagine how I would deal with this if I weren't moving. I only have a flock of three and sometimes that feels like alot to handle when coordinating these major situations.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

We used the low voc paint and there was literally no smell to it within hours. We kept them out of the living room for 36 hours just to be safe and had no problems.
We used the low VOC paint too in our bird room, but honestly is was almost 2 weeks before the smell dissipated.

Ginger
:eek: So many varied responses!! :D

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
The apartment complex used regular cheap paint that was not low VOC. It did take two weeks for the smell to clear. We had all the windows and doors open except for the front door and a breeze. I would think that if it was the low VOC paint it would take less time.

Merlie

Avenue Spotlight Award

:eek: So many varied responses!! :D
I really think it depends on the brand. Certain brands just do a better job. I was told to stay away from certain brands from a pro painter. I also asked to smell the paint at the store .. lol .. you should have seen the looks. Sniffed about 3 or 4 different brands and found SW to have basically no odor.

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam

I really think it depends on the brand. Certain brands just do a better job. I was told to stay away from certain brands from a pro painter. I also asked to smell the paint at the store .. lol .. you should have seen the looks. Sniffed about 3 or 4 different brands and found SW to have basically no odor.
:lol:Paint Sniffer!! J/k... I would have done the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.