• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How many clutches of eggs and normal for a cockatiel

Hannah!

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hannah
And how many would they have to lay for it not to be healthy

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I think two clutches would be normal but more would be a problem. It depends mostly on the health of your female cockatiel.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Any more than 3, and you should be talking with your vet how to monitor and proceed. Always handy to keep an egg diary for all cockatiels, budgies and lovebirds.

It depends mostly on the health of your female cockatiel.
This definitely plays a huge part in it.
Having a hen that is flighted and allowed time each day to fly and excersize, eats veggies and pellets and is healthy will have less chance of problems from egg laying (though it is never nil). I have a hen who lays just two eggs per clutch about once per year, but she has issues with egg laying even though she eats veggies and pellets, so she needs to be on supplements or she'lll end up hospitalised.

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
This is why it is so important to make sure your female bird has enough calcium in her diet. Calcium for eggshells is largely pulled from bone. If plenty of calcium, great. If too little calcium, thin shelled eggs or soft shelled eggs, thin bones, and I think inability to have adequate contractions and expel the egg. (And if the shell is not right it’s harder to push the egg out, too.).
This is why I like to have a cuttlebone or mineral block in my small to medium parrots cage. A pelleted diet should have enough calcium. Other diets without supplementation may not provide enough calcium.