• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How long do you have your fids away from their food?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featherluv

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Stefanie
Since I'm fairly new to my birdies, I worry about having them out with us too long & causing them to starve! Of course once they are flighted they can judge for themselves. But for now, how long is safe to keep them away from their foods?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Well with Gizmo, I've found that she acts famished if she is away for 2 hours, so I try to make sure I check if she wants food or water every 30 minutes. If she is away from the birdroom, she doesn't want to leave my shoulder and eat :rolleyes:

For the Littles, I make sure their playstands in the living room always had fresh food and pellets and water, and they manage themselves :)

starreys

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Sarah
mine are all fully flighted/ but i reckon after 2 hours yours probably would want some food and water .

JAM

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
As the others have said, it's 2 hours at a max, however Millow needs feeding every 5 mins LOL. :D

secuono

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
My guy just flies back when he's done hanging out or hungry.

Sharon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sharon
I think the water is probably most important. Fred and Levi are often away from food for two hours plus, but I do offer them water.

I went away for a weekend, leaving the birds at home. Levi managed to get his food door open, and escaped the cage. He was clipped at the time, so couldn't get back into the cage. I returned home a day early...I don't really know why, but I just wanted to get home. Maybe, I felt that there was something wrong...who knows. I don't know how long he was out, but when I walked in, he was on the floor, yelling to me. His eyes were dull, and he drank for a long time. If I had stayed as per the plan, he would have died of dehydration.

juliashmulia

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Julia
Mine are almost never away from their food. Their playstands all have food and water cups attached, which are always full. And if they're on my shoulder, I handfeed them a little of whatever I'm snacking on. :)

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I handfeed them a little of whatever I'm snacking on. :)
Ours don't give us a choice, they're already snacking on what we have by the time we've picked it up. :D

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
My large birds get pellets nuts and seed in the morning. I give them only enough to get full. Then when I get home I let on their playstands and give them their dinner of cooked and fresh and unthawed veggies. They also get some of what Im eating. Then a few hours later I'll give them pellets if they want any.

They also get several toys with food/snacks in them.

All in all. Two meals a day with a couple foraging toys to search for a snack.

My small birds get a bowl full of pellets for the entire day. Which they can eat at any time. Then in the evening I give them what I give my big birds. Then before bed I take out the pellets and veggie stuff and give some seed.

GlassOnion

Mine are flighted as well. I give two plates of fresh/cooked foods, one in the morning, one at night. I also leave around a small dish of pellets. A couple hours is okay :) They don't need to eat all the time, just make sure they are eating their regular meals.

juliashmulia

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Julia
Ours don't give us a choice, they're already snacking on what we have by the time we've picked it up. :D
Hahaha, Oskar (my GCC) definitely does that. Si hasn't figured out yet that he can be so demanding. :)

yvette

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Yvette
Ozzy is out on his stand without food for about 2 hours max. I offer him an almond and small treat but he doesn have a food bowl there.

Status
Not open for further replies.