• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How long did it take your lovebird to bond with you?

ashalymarie

Moving in
Real Name
ashley
I have had my baby for a week now. I know it takes time but he still shakes when he is perched on my finger when he isnt trying to fly away from me. Then if he makes it to the floor he just tried to run away, very rarely will he step up. The only thing he is willing to do is sit on my shoulder. He is quite the biter already. I just ignore it, I dont put him in his cage since thats where he wants to go.

Jamy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jamy
I'm sorry but a week is nothing. They need some time to get use to you. I don't have lovebirds but I do have IRNs and alexandrines and some of them took months to get completely used to me. If your patient and go at your birdies pace it will come around. You still need to learn what he likes and dislikes. Make it a fun process of getting to know each other. Hope you'll be best mates soon :bluhug:

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Aww, poor little honey!! :( Let him just sit on your shoulder for a while and approach very slowly. He has to know you're safe first, especially if he's hand-shy. It's obvious that he does not like your hands.

One week is a very short period of time. Twinkie, my snuggle-muffin, took a month or two to really bond to me and stop being anxious around me. That's when he started seeking me out.

Coros

Walking the driveway
It's been 6 month and Fal'chun is strating to gets more comfortable with me, he chirp and bob his head to me, come sit on my shoulder and take millet from the tips of my hands

LovieLuvr

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Christina
It has taken a few months for Sprout to become comfortable enough to perch/step up onto my hand or sit on my shoulder. Sprout still is a little nervous, but daily handling and hanging out with me has allowed us to start creating a bond. Eventually I know Sprout will seek out my company, but you have to be very patient. It's worth the wait!

My past lovies took about 6 month to 1 year before they bonded to me. :)

Kellie728

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kellie
Like everyone else said, a week is nothing. He just needs time to learn that you are not a scary monster but someone who loves him and is not going to hurt him. He's very cute, btw.

ashalymarie

Moving in
Real Name
ashley
Thats what I wanted to hear...
Ive heard a lot of people say things like "she was so friendly as a baby, I dont know what happened..." so I was afraid that since he IS a baby that we were doomed to not ever be friends....

JulieAnn

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Julie Panasik
I have a difficult time with the biting. I don't think past the pain. I hear this all the time. You have to endure the pain and not show the bird that they hurt you. How does one do that???????

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
I have a difficult time with the biting. I don't think past the pain. I hear this all the time. You have to endure the pain and not show the bird that they hurt you. How does one do that???????
Practice? :lol:
Well, I wish I were joking but that's essentially what happened with me. It hurts but you'll survive.
I wince, every single time. I can't not, it's a reflex for me. But I've learned to stay calm once the bite is over, whether it was a quick jab or 60 seconds of latched-on beak grinding. Getting upset doesn't help.

Basically there is a concept called a 'drama reward.' Parrots love drama and by overreacting to a bite you are providing that drama reward... depending on your actions anyway.
What do you do when and after your lovebird bites you? There is nothing wrong with trying to get your bird to let go if it's latched on like a bulldog if you can do that without hurting your bird (I used to rotate my hand upside down as a distraction, sometimes she'd get disoriented and let up.)
If you are able to keep your cool, no drama reward. (If you need to vent or something afterwords I understand! But you do so out of sight/earshot of your bird. However for a shy and frightened bird, if you get up and leave immediately after a bite that may have been exactly what they wanted and you've still reinforced it.)

More important is, what we were doing before we were bit. Why did the bird bite?
...Though maybe less helpful in the baby and teenage testing phases since it's probably harder to avoid bites when your baby is doing it just to see how you react!

I didn't get Peanut to stop biting (... as much) by reacting after she'd already bit me. To stop biting from being reinforced in their minds you have to stop a bite before it happens. If you bird doesn't bite, no bite can be reinforced and they will have less reason (in their minds) to bite again 'next time.'
Find out why your lovebird is biting you and try to change yourself and their environment to prevent that. For example, if they are biting you while you change their food, move them further away, distract them, or just be really dang fast at it. If they are biting you because they were nervous about being handled, take a step back and slow down, try to stop your interaction with your bird before they feel they need to bite you to make the interaction stop.
If you can't tell why your bird is biting you or can't read their body language enough to tell when their mood has changed and they are getting ready to bite, it does take time to learn their personality and language. I'm not sure if their is a short cut to that.

I'm a very slow learner, it took me like 8 years to figure out I needed to just keep her from biting me in the first place because ignoring her, saying no, nothing else was working well enough. Don't be slow like me. :D
She was tame and cuddly but would still bite me for territorial reasons pretty often and with all the fury in her tiny body. I made changes and she wasn't given reasons to bite, to the best of my abilities anyway (I still make mistakes.) But when I do make mistakes since biting hasn't been reinforced as much and for longer periods each time she is less likely to choose to bite, if she does it isn't as hard. For the last couple of years we are down to around one bite, nips don't count. ;)

Edit:
As for how long it took Peanut to really be comfortable and tame with me at home, I can't really remember. 15 years is too long ago for my poor memory.
I can say it wasn't immediate but giving her comfort feedings probably helped. I didn't even know it was a thing at the time, just she was afraid of her new cage, bowls, environment, and didn't seem to be eating well. She was just comfortable enough around me to accept food from my hands so I fed her mushy banana and other mushy fruits to make sure she was getting enough while she got settled in. There are better choices for comfort feedings though, formulas and such. I just used what I had around, being 13 myself.

I also remember she was biting me enough by the start of her first hormones my hands looked like I'd been digging through broken glass. It was so worth toughing it out through those harder periods, she is literally my best friend and is very close to my heart today.
No regrets, I love her more than anything.

Last edited:

JaclynBin

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jaclyn
It took my lovie about a month and a bit for her to truly settle in and enjoy being around me.

It truly wasn't that long ago, but it's funny to think back on how much more confortable she is since I first got her - give it a few months and you'll notice the same.

At six months (after a lot of positive reinforcement training with the step up command) she's even become quite relaxed - surprisingly even around hands which were previously recognizable as the ultimate enemy. Time will fly - and you'll become closer to each other. As exciting as having a new companion can be, try not to rush things too much so you're not putting too much strain on your new bond.

:)

Tarnished

Meeting neighbors
My baby Prim and I are still bonding...I'm not sure if it ever really ends :) That being said we are very comfortable with one another, but that took a while. At first it seemed we were doing brilliantly after 1 or 2 months...she was sitting on my shoulder, stepping up etc. Then, bam! Biting, screaming and generally being a bossy princess.

That was hard after I thought we were getting along, but it happens :) So if he suddenly gets nasty- persevere even when it sucks and seems like he suddenly doesn't like you. I can't really say exactly when Prim and I got over the horror biting stage (maybe 7 months?) but it did take time and was very gradual.

Now we know each other pretty well. Every now and then I get a bite, but she's actually more warning me (I know this because she REALLY bit my sister...and now I know how gentle she actually is!). Sometimes when she gets grumpy with me I actually just scoop her up and give her many kisses :lol:Then she just makes all these grumpy grunting noises at me until eventually she gets a better attitude and kisses me back.

We're at the stage now where we both respect one another- and I tell you this because I thought I had a 'bad' bird that just bit and hated me, but then I realised there's no such thing :) They just need time.

A tip with the biting- I actually just blew at Prim :laugh: She got all confused, and looked around to figure out why. Since they get a little surprise they investigate and give up biting (or at least Prim was silly enough to fall for it almost every time).

Best of luck!!!

JulieAnn

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Julie Panasik
My Patches flies to my shoulder and sits there and then notices my rather big ears that I inherited from my father and not happy about it but I passed them on to my son so I feel better, HAHA. Anyways he took a bite out of one and I jumped and cried out totally took me by surprise, and he flew away. I'm leery now when he flies to my shoulder. He's the one on the right.

Attachments