• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How Long Can a Lovebird Go Without Eating?

Sunny&Mars

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I am just wondering how long can a lovebird go without eating?

I want to make my feather picker work for his food. If I remove his food dish during the day and hide the same amount of food that would be in there in various places is in his cage (and leave his water) will he be fine from the 9 hours or so that we are gone?

My plan is to have him eat from his dish first thing in the morning and put it back in when we get home. I am just wondering if this is a good or bad idea.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Start making his food very visible and then work your way up to tougher foraging. I wouldn't remove the dish completely at first...maybe put less amounts in it until you are certain he will forage. Try not to upset the balance on a plucker too much. Too stressed and you'll get the plucking you're trying to avoid. @Mizzely is very good with foraging thoughts.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would slowly work up to itlike Chandra mentioned, and probably only do complete foraging to start on days where you can be home to monitor. 9 hours is a long time to go without food if he can't find it!

Sunny&Mars

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I would slowly work up to itlike Chandra mentioned, and probably only do complete foraging to start on days where you can be home to monitor. 9 hours is a long time to go without food if he can't find it!
Good ideas everyone (two people so far! LOL). I do hide the "seed ball" (mixture of pellets and seeds... I forget the exact name) and some millet in one of the paper coin wrappers. Thing is as soon as I put him in the cage he goes directly for that... not much foraging involved! LOL

I will start slowly and see what happens. I am actually taking him to the vet to see if there is anything wrong with him. I've had him there previously and they didn't find anything - they think and I think it is behavioral. I just want to confirm again though.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]