• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How long are your molts?

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
We got Iris a little over 2 months ago now. When he came home, his head was covered in pin feathers, and they still are now! How long do bolts usually last in linnies? I can't seem to find much information. Over two months just seems like a very long time.

Thank you,

Ali

Ulis_Beast

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
Not that it is species related.. but it is case related.
I got Loki last October and he's been dropping feathers since. (I think we're currently in an official moult as he had dropped two primaries on his right wing).
I say case related as Loki also lived in poor conditions (only seed, no sunlight, small cage)... and now he's replacing his entird plumage... steadily all the time.
His vet said it is fine.. for now. Should end by winters end.

@Mizzely has some similar expirience in this I think.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Ali , Gigi often has pins on her head for many weeks, without a partner to assist. She used to let me help her but those days are gone. :) I agree that 2 months seems too long. Maybe add something effective to his cage that he can rub against? I see Gigi doing that with some of her rougher toys. Also Gigi preens much more after a bath and the cage floor has lots of poofs and maybe even a feather. How often is Iris bathing? I also find that Gigi will lose a feather one day, the symmetrical one the next and then many days or even weeks between.

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
@Ali , Gigi often has pins on her head for many weeks, without a partner to assist. She used to let me help her but those days are gone. :) I agree that 2 months seems too long. Maybe add something effective to his cage that he can rub against? I see Gigi doing that with some of her rougher toys. Also Gigi preens much more after a bath and the cage floor has lots of poofs and maybe even a feather. How often is Iris bathing? I also find that Gigi will lose a feather one day, the symmetrical one the next and then many days or even weeks between.
He doesn't show that much interest in bathing, and he hates it when I spray him. Any ideas on how I could do it?

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
He doesn't show that much interest in bathing, and he hates it when I spray him. Any ideas on how I could do it?
Maybe the wet lettuce? Or a sink? Kiwi and Blizzard both LOVE to bathe in the sink, but they don't like metallic or deep sinks.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Big molts usually take a couple months, but if there were on a poor diet before, and are now on a better one, it can take a while. Their body is trying to play catch-up, I think!

They are also always losing feathers all year long like we lose hair. So it could be a grooming issue too where they aren't or are unable to deal with the keratin sheath on the new Feathers

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Big molts usually take a couple months, but if there were on a poor diet before, and are now on a better one, it can take a while. Their body is trying to play catch-up, I think!

They are also always losing feathers all year long like we lose hair. So it could be a grooming issue too where they aren't or are unable to deal with the keratin sheath on the new Feathers
Thanks! He was on a poor diet before, so that is probably a factor!

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
Blueberry is terrified of water. Not just scared, terrified. And he doesn't bathe in his dish. But he always had lots of pins on his head. The solution that works for us is that I will pick him up (no, he's not super fond of this, but he was hand fed back in the day so it's not totally awful to him), get my hands wet, and then wipe my hands gently over him to get him wet. The first time I did this he had a bajillion old pins and they just fell away after being moistened.

Mylo has had pins for four months straight now. And he off-and-on has been doing mini-molts. He also still looks scruffy and has bald spots! I agree with @Mizzely , bad diets and they are trying to play catch-up.

Since these two don't preen each other yet, I have seen them scratching their heads on sisal rope knots and this bottle brush type toy, not sure what's made out of, but something fairly stiff. Also Mylo scratches on the ends of the finger traps. The sisal rope knots seem to be their favorites though.