• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How I feel when I read a disturbing post...

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It stays with me. Especially when it's an accident where a dog or bird kills a bird. I try to quickly scan the post to make sure it won't be that kind of information, but often I get through enough that it's clear what happened. It just makes me so upset and sad. I try to believe that this will help someone else to not make the same mistake, but I wish I could avoid reading it. I think I will block "Highway to Heaven" but might be unaware of another situation, that doesn't involve an accident. I'll be sorry that I cannot offer consolations. I am at the point where I don't even watch the news very much. I just feel too tender to hear all bad news. Anyone else feel this way?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
It is incredibly sad when we read some of the threads on here where a bird has been snatched from this planet.
Blocking the highway to heaven could cut out a lot of those sad posts if you wish not to see them.
Don´t feel bad for not offering condolences, I´m sure other members will offer theirs.
Your emotions are valid and if it helps you stay happy and positive then that is the most important thing.
:hug9:

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
It stays with me. Especially when it's an accident where a dog or bird kills a bird. I try to quickly scan the post to make sure it won't be that kind of information, but often I get through enough that it's clear what happened. It just makes me so upset and sad. I try to believe that this will help someone else to not make the same mistake, but I wish I could avoid reading it. I think I will block "Highway to Heaven" but might be unaware of another situation, that doesn't involve an accident. I'll be sorry that I cannot offer consolations. I am at the point where I don't even watch the news very much. I just feel too tender to hear all bad news. Anyone else feel this way?
Yes I am the same way. It becomes overwhelming.
Sometimes I feel alone in this tragic life.
But when others are crying out, i realize we are all in this mortality together . No one gets a pass.
At the end of the day no matter how.smart or rich , entitled one is ..We are all equal in the end.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I used to have the E911 forum blocked for the same reason. I couldn't handle seeing all the poor souls who were injured or suffering and being refused vet care. It's very taxing.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I often avoid the highway to heaven threads if I am not feeling like I can deal with the sadness of the losses and pain of the owners.
You definitely need to do what is right for you to keep your happiness and positivity fully charged.
No use feeling miserable if you don’t have to....look after you :hug8:

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If avoiding this thread doesn't work then I too would block it. Donna, honey, you need to take care of you so you can care for all the little hearts you touch every day by your words of protection & your own flock.

:gbh:

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
@Dona I don’t blame you at all, even as a poster of exactly such a disturbing thread. To tell you the truth I can hardly look at them right now either. I’m devastated to be among the number of people who have lost their bird to a dog even if it was not of my own doing, it was my baby and I live with that loss every day. Closing your eyes to the ugly and painful doesn’t make you any less of an amazing person, or any less valued member of our AA flock :hug4: I’m a very sensitive person and I struggle with the negativity in the world too, sometimes it’s best to surround ourselves in the positive ❤.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I used to have the E911 forum blocked for the same reason. I couldn't handle seeing all the poor souls who were injured or suffering and being refused vet care. It's very taxing.
Good idea for me to block the 911 section. I don't have enough posts to respond or skills that could help anyway.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I hear you loud and clear. I totally empathize with your feelings. I can't even watch SPCA ads that fill tv ad time during the holidays... just too depressing!

Whatever helps keep you stay upbeat is nothing to apologize for! We ALL totally get it as each person has their individual, often very personal weaknesses.

I do however always want to send condolences to our crossed over friends. For me, I look at it this way: What if one of my babies passed and not a single person other than myself acknowledged it or had a kind word to say. This would break my heart! So as hard as it is to deal with motality, I stiffen my upper lip, grab a kleenex, and do my best to offer a little comfort when it's needed most.

If we all stick with our strengths, then none of us have to worry! That's why the AA family is so beautiful!!! Blessings everyone...

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Yup that is me too! I had to hide a couple of friends posts because they kept posting animal abuse cases. Every day there was something else on my wall! I found it caused so much more anxiety to my life, I just hid those particular friends posts so I don't see anything unless I physically look at their wall. I don't know why people do that, unless they figure awareness will prevent future cases. I agree though...

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for bringing this up Dona. I feel as you do and many others. I suffered a loss of a treasured and loved feathered friend and I can't allow my thoughts to go there without crying and then having difficult dreams, so I block and ignore a lot. I also cannot let it go after I read, it really saddens me. I quickly hit the ignore button now without looking and refresh the page. I'm grateful for the new board where I don't have to confirm that I want to block it on all platforms so I can get through it quicker.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Yes, yes, yes. I tend to keep far away from a few sections of the forum. I even send a direct message to the person instead (if the title gives enough information to do so) without reading the post itself if I feel the need to offer support. I do my best to protect my mind, and I don't usually apologize for it anymore... Sometimes I explain what I'm doing or why, though. I think of it as self care, as important as showering and sleeping and eating! We know that the pain of the world exists, and we know the current there is very strong, so it's not unreasonable to stay where we won't get washed away.

I posted in the highway to heaven, and I want to at least like the responses, but I have to sneak in and hightail it out as soon as I can! I figure those ignore and block buttons are tools, and you can use them to suit your needs!

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I'm sorry I missed this post, I feel the same! I end up sobbing! I have it blocked and if something happens to a friend's bird on here, Zara lets me know so I can offer my condolences because she knows I can't handle it. I can't even watch bird videos of birds that are pluckers. I know it's not necessarily always their environment but it makes me so so sad! There's a limited series on Netflix and I hate how they play a preview if you're just hovering on it. This one I accidentally saw yesterday and it still is bothering me. So, no, no you are not the only one who is extra sensitive, and it sucks!

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I hear you loud and clear. I totally empathize with your feelings. I can't even watch SPCA ads that fill tv ad time during the holidays... just too depressing!

Whatever helps keep you stay upbeat is nothing to apologize for! We ALL totally get it as each person has their individual, often very personal weaknesses.

I do however always want to send condolences to our crossed over friends. For me, I look at it this way: What if one of my babies passed and not a single person other than myself acknowledged it or had a kind word to say. This would break my heart! So as hard as it is to deal with motality, I stiffen my upper lip, grab a kleenex, and do my best to offer a little comfort when it's needed most.

If we all stick with our strengths, then none of us have to worry! That's why the AA family is so beautiful!!! Blessings everyone...
I can't remember what it was, but it was some comedy show and they made a joke about how fast you have to move (and find the remote) as soon as you hear Sarah MacLauglin on that commercial!

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I can't remember what it was, but it was some comedy show and they made a joke about how fast you have to move (and find the remote) as soon as you hear Sarah MacLauglin on that commercial!
Oh my gosh i've been there! When we hear the start of some obviously bad news, my husband and I make a whole bunch of babbling noise as we run toward the radio or TV to mute it!

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Oh my gosh i've been there! When we hear the start of some obviously bad news, my husband and I make a whole bunch of babbling noise as we run toward the radio or TV to mute it!
I do that too! "This isn't happening! Not going to see anything!" I could never work with animals. I'd sob all day every day. Pretty sure that is frowned upon.

Princessbella

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
I feel the same way. Accidents happen but it is devastating to read about them. Sometimes when I see a lot of highway to heaven posts, I just have to turn AA off for my sanity.