• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How HOT does the Shark steam cleaners get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have never used one or seen one used. I am currently in the market to buy one.

Wouldn't some of the attachments need to be replaced?:huh: I'm a bit confused by steam cleaning and am wondering... does it actually kill bacteria?:huh: My logic would tell me that it probably doesn't but I'm really not sure.:shrug2:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
:(The premise is one is using steam to disinfect at 212F, 100C. The fallacy of that is that the steam may be that hot, but it loses it's heat quickly when the steam comes in contact with the surface being cleaned. Also, the 'steam pocket' around the steam outlet acts like a mop and soaks up the steam turned to water and also any dirt on the surface as well. When you wipe again with the same pocket on the implement, you are smearing the dirt you just removed all over the thing you are cleaning. Steam pocket cleaners are useful only on floors in my opinion and only if you have many 'pockets' to use over the same surface. Either that, or you have to scrub your floor to clean it, then steam it to disinfected it.:confused: I do have a steam cleaner, the canister type with a high output nozzle, that I use on the cages four times a year. I spray the steam on the cage area to wet it, then wait a few minutes to loosen crusty stuff, then close blast the steam on the skirts and bars and catch pans and wipe away the dirt with paper towels which are disposed of promptly. It gets crud out from between gaps easily and around welds as well. However, if your cage has a poor paint job, you will find rust eventually. I have been using mine for 9 years and it is a good alternative to power washing for someone who lives in the north east and not often able to powerwash my cages. :cool1:

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
My canister one gets hot enough to leave blisters if you stick your fingers in the steam part that comes out of the nozzle...:hug8:

Merlie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Saemma ..

I'm not sure how hot the small Shark you posted in the picture will get. I have the larger canister style and it gets hot enough to hurt, but not truly "burn".

I don't know about it's effectiveness in killing bacteria ... it might .. but that's not why I use it.

Since I'm not able to easily bring cages outside to power wash, I use my steamer in place of it. There's enough force to the steam coming out to really get into all the little nooks and crannies and blast out anything that might have been missed in routine cleaning.

I steam clean my cages about once every two or three months.

tammie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tammie
Saemma I have the same one you had in your post! It does get really hot! I don't use the pocket attachments, just the straight steam from the hose. It works pretty good and I was happy with it. I pressure wash some of my cages but some are too large to roll outside, and this time of years it's impossible to clean outside. It takes longer with the steam cleaner, but it gets the job done.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:D Thanks guys! I mostly intend to use it to clean wood perches, flyers and a few nooks and crannies on the cages.
I'm a bit confused by the extreme ranges of reviews on the internet. :huh:I guess I'll have to find out for myself and form my own opinion.:p

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
I have that one Saemma and do like it. We don't use it for weekly cleaning, but it is very useful for all those crevices, perches, gyms, etc...I use the pockets on the larger cages to clean the bars...I have many extras to change as they become wet.

The only thing I dont' like about it is it tends to lose pressure very so often and then start up full steam again...I guess it is reheating the reservoir? Not quite sure. Curious if anyone else's steamer does this too?

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
i havent looked to see where you live buy canadian tire sells it i loved it
but found it to heavy for me getting old is no picknick but was able to try every thing out and loved it for cleaning cubards you name it i did it but as i said was to heave i took it back to canadian tire and got my moneys back its the only place i know that will do it i like all there products

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
It gets hot enough to burn my freakin arm! :lol: I can't guarantee the sanitizing effect but what I love is that its forced steam so it blasts dirt out of those crevices in the cage bars that rags and vacuums can't reach. I still wash down the cages with soap and water but it does a great job of breaking up dried poop that a rag won't break up. I also use it on my wood floor to break up the poop.

Status
Not open for further replies.