• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do your lovebirds sleep?

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
My Aoife has a spot in the corner of her cage on top of what used to be a grass hut, but I'm unsure of whether she straddles the hut and the cage or sleeps all on the cage. Straddling, I'm concerned about injury to her tiny dino feet and ankles. I'm considering giving her something different but would love to hear about other people's lovebirds sleep spaces!

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Here's her spot. I just put one of those "cozy perch" things where it's fleece and a perch in the other corner .

Attachments

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
It's not good to worry. I think it is always better be safe than sorry. Maybe you could give her some other options to sleep in, up or on?
Momo sleeps in a hut made from cork. She loves it!
That's so neat! Where did you find it ?

JaclynBin

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jaclyn
Mine alternate between sleeping on perches and also just holding on to the top corners of their cages, kind of like your Aoife.

Options are always good, but you may find the she still likes clinging to cage bars to sleep and completely ignores your efforts at giving her a better sleep spot - at least mine did :D

Momo & Mido

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
I’m from the Netherlands, but the brand is called Back Zoo Nature.
They also have these for reptiles.
The thing is, you can not choose for her how she prefers to sleep. But I get that it doesn’t look comfortable. Maybe you can tie the hut to the bars a little tighter with something?

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
Mine sleep in a coconut shell that has a hole in it. Two boys, so they never get "nesty" because of it. But they love their coconut and as soon as it gets dusk and the blinds are pulled they climb right in and then look out at me........so cute to see four little eyes peering out of their dark hole, LOL.

CallieCadmoor

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Georgia
My Eros sleeps like Aoife, 7 out of 10 times! Or upside down. Or a corner on a wooden perch. Depends on his mood really!

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
My Eros sleeps like Aoife, 7 out of 10 times! Or upside down. Or a corner on a wooden perch. Depends on his mood really!
Haha good to know! I'm new to birds so sometimes I'll have a question that seems a bit crazy. But hey, at least I am an attentive pet parent!

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Mine sleep in a coconut shell that has a hole in it. Two boys, so they never get "nesty" because of it. But they love their coconut and as soon as it gets dusk and the blinds are pulled they climb right in and then look out at me........so cute to see four little eyes peering out of their dark hole, LOL.
My linnies do that with their grass hut. Two boys also but sometimes I wonder if Emrys thinks he and Caspar are going to have baby birds.. I think he just loves to shred but still I joke he's making a nest.

AussietheLovie

Moving in
My lovie sleeps on a branch-type perch, one foot tucked up, head-under-wing. I've tried giving her other places to sleep, but she loves her perch!

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
I gave up on her bird bath and took the water out... as soon i did that she went in and now sleeps in it. Her living room cage is her sleep cage, the bugger one is in my office. She loves her new bird bath though.

Attachments

lisaraby

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lisa
Indie sleeps exactly like that - holding on to a toy with one foot and the cage with the other and straddling the distance between. My old man Buddy used to do it too! Lovebirds are weiiiird babies, that's for sure.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
_20181217_190600.JPG

That's them, ready for lights-out. There are a few better opportunities in this cage but they haven't had time to test them yet.

kitsunebandit

Avenue Veteran
When I kept lovebirds in a large flight, even with a variety of perches, they would still occasionally hang on to the mesh in corners and sleep like that! They're odd little birds haha

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
View attachment 292524

That's them, ready for lights-out. There are a few better opportunities in this cage but they haven't had time to test them yet.
I have that same toy! None of my birds have shown any interest in it though. They generally love those cheap JW toys however.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I have that same toy! None of my birds have shown any interest in it though. They generally love those cheap JW toys however.
It's mounted on the outside of the cage for the budgies. I wouldn't let the lovies get hold as it seem brittle to me.