• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do you know if they will get along?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TikiBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessica
Okay so how do you know if two birds will get along?
How do you go about introduction??
How long should you wait before introducing two birds?

They will perch on my hands side by side, but seem to take "slow" lunges at each other with their beaks. It doesn't really look aggressive but then again I am too scared to find out.
I don't put them too close together because I don't know what will happen. Tiki is a good bit bigger than Pixel.

TikiBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessica
Oh and I don't need information on quarantine please.
She has been vet checked and I don't feel like a "quarantine" is a true quarantine unless you have a room completely separated from your house that your other bird is in. Thanks:o:

identicaltriplets

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Patter
When we introduced the girls, the vet said to first put the cages in the same room for 2-3 days (apart from each other). Then move the cages next to each other for 2-3 days. Then sit on the floor with one bird on one side of the room and the other bird with someone else on the other side of the room. They will probably run to each other and begin to "investigate." Our girls immediately RAN for each other and played! They get a long so well! Good luck with it all!

TikiBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessica
My birds sleep in the same room in separate cages, they are a little ways apart but they can definitely see each other. Do you think I should scoot them close together like touching? Maybe I could do that and wait to see if they sleep near the side of the cage by each other.

I don't know they just act weird together like unsure. But not aggressive, but then again I can't really read their body language like that.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I know you wont appreciate me saying this. But not only is quaratine crucial health wise incase something was missed during the vet chech and stress can bring about illnesses in birds, but it also gives the new bird and your current bird some time to get used to eachother and give the new bird some time to adjust ... Personally your going wayyy toooo fast.

If you cant keep them in seperate rooms keep them as far away, across the room from eachother, for 30-90 days. So they can adjust.

I have found that if you rush two birds into forced coexistance you get problems. Aggression, fearfullness, screaming, plucking, nervousness, just to name a couple......

Other than the above, CONGRATS and GOODLUCK

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Mercedez is correct on both points and the good luck.
ML

TikiBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessica
Okay I will not introduce them for a while then.
I just didn't know how long you should wait. I only know about the quarantine.

Their cages are on opposite sides of the room. This is the best I can do given the limited space but I believe it's enough. I just wont "force" them to be in the same playstands etc.

I understand everyones concern about quarantine which is why I said something I figured that is what would be on everyones mind:o:

It would be impossible to do a true quarantine here (and in most homes)
especially for the diseases we are all looking out for which are airborne.

And trust me I love my birds as much as anyone here and I am not trying to risk Tiki or Pixels life by not
doing a quarantine but I truly believe we are as safe as we can be seeing as I don't have a true airtight
quarantine room like a vet office could. And I have no plans on bringing any more birds in.
Thanks for your help:hug8:

Last edited:

identicaltriplets

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Patter
My birds sleep in the same room in separate cages, they are a little ways apart but they can definitely see each other. Do you think I should scoot them close together like touching? Maybe I could do that and wait to see if they sleep near the side of the cage by each other.

I don't know they just act weird together like unsure. But not aggressive, but then again I can't really read their body language like that.
Our girls cages were in separate rooms until we could start bringing them together as I stated above. When we did get to putting the cages together, they were close enough to touch. They would basically talk to each other as they went to sleep. It was precious. :) Good luck as they get to know each other. :)

BamaBirdMom

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Janet
I am going to comment only on introducing the birds. First of all, being close to the same size really helps. Chance of injury is less.

What has worked for me is to place them in a neutral territory, like a dining room table, and have plenty of toys and treats scattered around. I placed the birds at opposite ends of the table and backed off so there was no jealousy factor over me. They will usually just investigate the toys, and eventually run into each other. I let them beak it out a little, and only would intervene if one of them would go for the feet or other body parts.

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
I am going to comment only on introducing the birds. First of all, being close to the same size really helps. Chance of injury is less.

What has worked for me is to place them in a neutral territory, like a dining room table, and have plenty of toys and treats scattered around. I placed the birds at opposite ends of the table and backed off so there was no jealousy factor over me. They will usually just investigate the toys, and eventually run into each other. I let them beak it out a little, and only would intervene if one of them would go for the feet or other body parts.
This. Always make it REALLY EASY for either them to move away if they want to, and give them lots of things to distract them from each other. Playing near each other is the first step towards playing well with each other. I would actually avoid them being able to touch each other until they're happy to eat and play relaxedly (not a word!) nearby.

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
I hope it's different for you, I really do, but my Hahn's and Black-Capped HATE each other. He's so rambunctious and crazy and she's so quiet and reserved that it just doesn't work.

I tried introducing them in a neutral place after the introductory period in the same room, and it ended up in an attack. After that, the Hahn's kept bullying her when he was out and at one point it ended up with a bleeding toe on Honu and a dent in her beak.

PLEASE be careful with them, the Hahn's can easily take her beak off if they get into a tiff. It took him less than 5 seconds with me right there to dent her beak inwards and she was in her cage.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be a downer, and I HOPE they can get along, but mine are mortal enemies and I figured I should pass the warning.

TikiBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessica
I don't mind if they never get along. Tiki can be such a brat sometimes I'd understand Pixels objections lol.
When I did hold them near each other they grabbed toward body parts not beaks which is why I was like uuhh okay not a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.