• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do you get to pet your bird?

Duel

Walking the driveway
My little birdy snick is a fischer that was born in the middle of last august and I got him when he was 2 months. So far he's bonded enough with me to where if I leave the cage open and go to a different room then after a few minutes he'll follow me and politely wait for me to pick him up and put him on my shoulder (his wings were clipped when I got him). He steps up right away except for when he's on a branch in his cage or is on my shoulder as well as being comfortable with my grabbing him (gently) with my whole hand. Strangely enough he's ok with me petting his beak but not his head? I try to motivate him with millets but he backs off as soon as he sees my finger coming for the petting. Any advice?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Sounds like you have a great relationship.

My Lapis and Nube were born August last year and they are going through their first main molt. Is yours? When a bird goes through the main molt, especially the first one, they may not like being touched, and can have other changes to behaviour.
If he's molting, wait til a good week or two after and try again to stroke his head gently. Start stroking beak to tail way first.

I like to put my thumb and finger together (like a pinch of salt, if that makes sense), and rub back and forth gently (like playing the worlds smallest violin) I do that in front of them and they usually lean in for scratches. Not Jaime, he hates being stroked.

Last edited:

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
My girl likes her ears rubbed and her cheek. She will occasionally jam her whole head intp the palm of my hand when they are semi closed. I got her when she was 4 months old back in June 2018. I agree with Zara that you have a good relationship atm. I would just be be patient and continue trying. I've read stories where people make break a through with their birds after a year. Remember everything happens on their time because birds are stubborn. Not to sound discouraging but some birds just don't like to be pet. I added a couple of videos of what my girl likes.

Attachments

Duel

Walking the driveway
Oh yes! Forgot to mention, the only time he DOES let me stroke his head is when he's trying to sleep and is yawning. I would hold him in the palm of my hand and scratch his head for him and I can tell he likes it since he doesn't resist at all and closes his eyes. When I stop scratching him he looks up and turns around at me like he wants to continue. That's the only time he allows me to pet his head without a problem.
P.S. He's also comfortable with me to where he would go under my shirt in the back and occasionally sleep in there.