• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do you feel about your parrot's former home?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was in a very foul mood for about 15 minutes this morning. :atomic:VERY foul.:darkcloud:

Thomas tumbled out of his cage again and flailed about in his usual panic. Reminded me of a person who is trying to save themself from drowning. Being outside of his cage is evidently a scary place to be.:huh:

Along the way, he painted all four walls, the heaters, the windows and the closet door with his blood. Today it became clear to me that if he loses his balance when out of cage he literally falls to the ground like a potato.

I finally managed to catch him with a towel, cleaned him and put him back in cage. The towel did not seem to affect his trust in me thank goodness. He gratefully reached for a piece of walnut afterwards and then took a nap because he was really exhausted after all that stress.
This will be the 3rd time in 2 weeks that the little man has hurt himself in the same manner.

I sat with him for a few minutes afterwards and found myself feeling very protective towards him. I also felt so sorry and wondered what had happened to make him who he is today? I also felt anger towards his former home for not having mentioned any of this.
Anyways, I snapped out of my mood as quickly as I could and am feeling better now.:) I know there isn't any point in being angry over something I will never find out about or understand.

I think I have a better understanding of what the little guy needs from me moving forward and I intend to make sure he thrives here.
Thank you for taking the time to read my rant.

Last edited:

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
I've had the exact same experience with our new lutino Cockatiel. I was thinking of making a thread, but too lazy..
Just like Thomas, she didn't know how to fly, let alone balance on anything else besides the single dowel perch she came with. Blood everywhere and an expensive vet visit later, she's been confined in her cage for the past couple days while her injury heals. I know exactly how you feel towards Thomas' old owners.

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Oh Saemma, how stressful for both of you :hug8::hug8: Thomas is very lucky he landed in your home.

Both B. Angel and Dale came from very caring wonderful homes. I still keep in touch with both of them.

Napoleon I have no idea where he came from or who is former owners were. He was listed on CL briefly before landing in the Rescue where I adopted him. I remember seeing him for sale on CL, listed as not tame and 3 yrs old. That is all the info the rescue had as well.
I don't know if he is so fearful because he was mistreated or just parent raised and never handled. I think it's the latter of the two. What probably happened is someone bought him as a baby from a breeder and they were expecting a tame bird and probably got frustrated he wasn't tame and then he was passed through 2 more homes. I am his 4th and last home.
But he seems happy enough and enjoys his linnie friends:)

danadear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dana
Poor little guy. Glad he is with you. Buttercup is like that too..and was given a terrible clip..drops like a stone. After 3 months she is still afraid of me.
:hug8:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Sometimes I think on how my Cassie was living before we rescued her. Downstairs,all by herself,no toys,with nothing to do but pick and rip out her feathers-for God knows how long...:(:(:(

Feather

Avenue Veteran
I still have bouts of anger when I remember Skylin and Katara's old home. :yelling: They both carry some scar of that sad existence. It breaks my heart to think of the conure I had to leave behind. I can only hope he got out as well. :sad7: There is no excuse for the ignorance and negligence I saw there. It was traumatic for me to witness, and every day I am astounded by how much the tiels trust.

Patch and Finbar's old home . . . I have mixed feelings about that place. Too many good intentions but not enough people to care. :sad8: Last I heard, there have been a lot of improvements and many of the birds have been adopted or sent to a rescue. I hope that's true. Part of me wants to visit again to see how much has changed the months since I left for the last time, but I'm too afraid I'll be disappointed.

Starburst's old home was a good one, and she shared it with some very well-loved cockatiels. The poor lady just didn't know what to do with the little spitfire and admitted she was quite terrified of her. Which I completely understand. :lol:I did wonder what I was getting myself into. I really wish I'd been able to have kept in touch. It'd be nice to update her on Starburst sometime, let her know her little terror is doing well.

Zyda came from a shabby birdstore I wasn't overly impressed with. They've since gone out of business.
Anica and Swan are both from the local pet shop.
The finches and Rowan are from breeders.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I'm so sorry for poor Thomas! I'm glad that he has found an understanding home to be loved!

I think about Josie's previous owner sometimes and really only come up with pity. He had this wonderful, vibrant friend that just needed some of his time and because she did not meet those expectations he sold her. He did not even name her, and she was in his care for 6 months. He did not research in proper diets, she had virtually no toys to destroy, and a cage that was inadequate. In a way I'm grateful because I think every day what a blessing she is in our house, and I'm happy that her journey to find a permanent home was short.

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen
I sometimes feel angry at CJ's first home. He is such a loving and eager boy. He wants attention and to be with people, but he's terrified of hands. He's always scared they'll hurt him or shake the cage, so I can only pet him with the tip of my nose or kiss him. I can see that if he hadn't spent decades in a home that left him in a tiny cage and vented their frustration he could get the attention he craves. He could fly confidently and easily get to the person he wants to be with, but the fear he has just won't leave him. Poor man...

As for puck. :mad: I am enraged at Danielle's care of him!! He's a wee alcoholic in the making and thinks he owns everything. She didn't even train him!! How rude! :lol:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
thank god Thomas has you now.....I do not know who Princess Mitch's former owners are...we got her from the SPCA but a week after she got there..(she was found outside in freezing weather)...someone called in anonymously and said that they had thrown her out for being not up to par...I have no idea if that was just a hoax call or not but they had no way of knowing there was a tiel thee...she was not put on their website for a month after she got there...at any rate, when she came, she was absolutely terrified of everything...and flicked her head constantly...there has been some speculation that she could have been a former show bird & did not measure up..she is very large 132 grams & very beautiful...but she also has a trait called head flicking that shows up often in showbirds..from inbreeding...she flicked her head every few seconds at first..now I see her do it very rarely..and she is definitely not terrified..are you my Mitchie..(she is sitting at the computer with me, her Mom)..as for Lord Maxwell Studmuffin..you all know the story....I cannot imagine what it was like for him...leg probably broken in the nest box, never healed..now paralyzed..other deformities..lack of toes, yes, toes....wing deformities...having to fight for so many months in the pit of a pet store for his survival...when we got him he had peck marks all over him from being attacked by other birds...he was a real mess, no tail, ratty feathers and half starved..the vet said he would not have lasted another week...only god alone knows how he lasted that long...so ask me if I feel anger....I feel disgusted that any human being would throw out a bird for not measuring up..I feel anger that the humane society stuck her in a macaw cage surrounded by cats and dogs to further her terror ..I feel anger at that useless freaking pet store who noticed the little crippled birdie and didnt give a rat's •••..as the manager said..survival of the fittest...the little crippled birdie is now on the computer shelf preening and chuckling.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Aawwww, poor little Thomas. :( Sounds like he's got trust issues and may have spent a lot of time in his cage in his previous home. Of course, all birds are a little off-kilter when they come into a new home, but I've never had one that flailed and injured themselves. That's very sad.

How do I feel about my birds' previous homes? Well, it varies:

Elvis: Here former owners are people I know and like very much, especially her former owner's wife. I think they did the best they could, and they loved her dearly. She was never abused, and she's never known anything but affection and care. They may have made some mistakes out of ignorance (stunting her as an unweaned baby, not providing wooden toys), but she was well trained and happy before she came to me.

Zoe: She stepped up and had no fear issues when she came to me. She was pinchy and moody, but now that I know her better, I'm not sure how much of that was just her. She's improved since she came to me, but she'll always be Zoe :)

Sonny: Was injured when I got him, but at least they recognized the situation wasn't working and placed him in a good home. He wasn't trained or handled when I got him, but he wasn't fearful either. No real complaints.

Patrick: Hmm, well, he's hand phobic, but he's parent-reared, and I can see why his former owner was in over her head with him. Going from a hand-fed Hahn's to a parent-reared Illiger's would be a major change, so she struggled for a while and then dumped him. At least she dumped him with me. My main complaint with her was her lack of awareness of what his care would involve.

Keene: Uh, yeah, he put his bird in a garage sale, which says it all. About the only good thing I can say is that she was on a pelleted diet rather than seeds and that her cage was spotlessly clean. Also, no trust issues whatsoever. He may have ignored her a lot, but she was not abused.

Liam: Liam was dumped more than once for being a poorly socialized mini-macaw and landed in rescue, so he's got two deadbeat former owners out there somewhere. He's more tame than Patrick, but they have a similar incompatibility with what people think a "pet" Illiger's is supposed to be. At least he's stick trained...

Overall, none of my rehomes were abused or have any serious behavior issues. The worst problem I've had to deal with was Elvis's grief and anger at losing her beloved owner, which broke her heart.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I don't know what to feel about my birds' former owners.

In the case of Pete's I think he was just ignorant of parrot care. Or he didn't keep up. 30 years ago we didn't know everything we know now, that's for sure. Pete wasn't being fed well and was in a tiny cage with no toys. He also doesn't know how to fly and I suspect that is because he was always clipped. However, Pete is very sweet, loves to be cuddled and petted and doesn't bite. So I believe an owner ignorant about feeding and cages, but one who at least physically treated Pete in a loving manner. Oh, and he lied to me about Pete being wild caught. I did ask him twice, first over the phone due to Pete's age and again in person when I saw the open band. He didn't need to lie about it. I saw how Pete behaved and so it was not really a concern.

The only problem I have with Merlin's previous home was that they did not know the bird was going blind. Had she gone in for wellness checks, surely the vet would have noticed the cataracts. Based on some things they told me, I think they should have realized something was up. They told me they didn't think she could see well at night, that she was clumsy, that she was afraid of windows and big screen TVs (she isn't now but only because her vision is now that bad). Surely they should have noticed when she stopped flying as well? Otherwise, they fed her well, provided her with a nice cage and plenty of toys and other things. They talked with me many times to be sure we were a good match and spent quite a bit of money shipping me all her things (12 boxes worth I think), and they also paid to ship her to me as well. They even offered to buy her new cage, but I said no, I would do that. So really the only bad thing I can say is that the bird should have had a vet check sometime in the last few years. Knowing she was blind also would eased her first few days with me. And if she had been getting treatment for the AVB it's possible she would not have lost all her vision, and she probably wouldn't have been as sick as she was when she arrived.

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Piper - although I got Piper as a baby from his breeder, he did go to another home first, for about a week. They "lost" him in the house, found him in a very weak state and brought him back to the breeder's, who, for a while, thought she was going to lose him but she did "bring him back". Piper, having a splayed leg, was not for sale but rather given away and I think his former owners were just looking for a free bird. I don't understand how one can just "lose" a bird in a house and not care to find it until it's nearly too late..

Joey - I do believe he was treated very well from his previous owner. It really looked like it was hard for this person to let Joey go.

Petey - who knows how many previous owners he's had but given how he despises women, I have a very strong feeling (and so do other people who have met him) that a women at one point did not treat him well. And to "her", I don't harbour very nice feelings from time to time. I'm also flabbergasted that someone can bring a bird in a pet store for a nail/wing trim and just walk you, more or less giving the bird to the clerk dealing with him..(which did happen to Petey).

Zuri - previous owner got diagnosed with cancer shortly after getting Zuri, which mean that Zuri (understandably) didn't have much socialization from this person, who relied on a not-so-bird-person to feed Zuri and change his water. While I understand why things were the way they were, to hold onto Zuri for so long while he was so young without much human contact made him because nervous and wary of people and I'm still working on getting him to be truly comfortable around people.

Pixel - her previous owner changed his living room to be an aviary for the birds. Other than the fruity Zupreem pellets, her diet seemed to be similar to what I give her here (she did get some fresh stuff from time to time there). Her owner took pity of her stuck in a Pet Smart for years and "saved" a few too many birds too quickly. Got overwhelmed and had to rehome a few.

Parhelion7

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kylee
Poor Thomas :( I understand your anger. About 10 years ago I had a rehomed Senegal who was abused by his former owner. Before I got him, I'd only ever had a budgie, but I stupidly went to my first and only bird fair and found him there. I wasn't really planning on getting another bird, and had only fairly recently gotten the budgie. But the lady was trying desperately to get rid of him, saying how mean and awful he was. He plucked and had a really nasty-looking badly healed broken wing that shivered and hung low on his body (which we later found out was from a poorly and too deeply done tattoo on the underside of the wing :mad:). But I held him and he settled down on me and started preening, and I couldn't leave him with that horrible woman. He was a sweetheart a lot of the time, surprisingly. Loved to lick me and get his head scratched. But he - understandably - had issues with biting, and as he was my first bigger bird, despite my research and good intentions I had no idea how to help him. I rehomed him, and he's now in a wonderful home with a little girlfriend he flirts with :D I actually got to visit him for the first time in 10 years several months ago, and I think he remembered me. He wanted head scratches right away. He still has biting problems, and is unhandleable without a stick, but he's a happy little guy now.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I dislike many of my birds former people.

Im still in touch with Mera's breeder. Fabulous woman:heart: And Im still intouch with my male plets breeder. Two very kind people!!

I used to be intouch with Mobys 2nd home. The original home was the bfs mothers, I think. And I thoroughly dislike them for cage bounding him for 20 years!!! The 2nd owners were members of The Perch.:)

I like Pua's first owner. Didnt know what they were doing, But they tried.:)

Dislike Bokkas(rip) first and 2nd home although the 2nd home was an improvement.

I dislike Gras(rip) first home.

Pinkys 5th owner were alright people, but didnt know what they were doing.

Opas first home was good people but buying Opa for their abusive Autistic 7 y.o was a WRONG move!

Malis previous home , home #2, was alright. Didnt know much of toos. First home was an elderly women who treated Mali very well.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks guys. How I felt this morning was very intense. I felt very volatile and was relieved that there weren't any humans around to see me in this mood. I think my other birds sensed it too because they were very quiet. It will not be safe to place his cage in the other room with the rest. I have to first work on helping him feel superb about being outside of his cage and let his feathers grow in again. I hope his former owners don't try to contact me in the future because I don't think I will be in a good mood to hear from them.

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Enraged is how I feel.

Chicobo

Real Name
Erin
I think I can't help but feel spite toward rehomed parrots' previous families, if those families are not honest and putting in a good-faith effort.

CC came from a pet-store, so she didn't have a family. Still, I felt bad for her for a long time. She's very nervous of people's hands and only recently has come to appreciate her space here and enjoy the company of people and other birds. I do think some of her behaviors are "her" -- but others I think came from a lot of mishandling and ignorance.

Sunshine? Yes, I'm mad at his previous family. But not because they did something wrong on purpose. I'm angry because of their ignorance and the lack of care that the parents exhibited. The daughter clearly loved and wanted him. He was a bird-store bird, hand-raised and tame. But when he first came to me, he was always so scared. He'd just shake and shake. Still, when he steps up, it's tentative. Ironically, I think it was the family's fear of him that produced this. It's like he thinks I'm terrified of him, and as he's getting used to my lack of fear, he's become more fearless. His feathers were tattered and raggedy from the small cage he was in, and he hissed and spat constantly when I went to visit him. Now? Full feathers, beautiful (except when CC attacks them now that she's nesting), and bold. He kisses my nose, has learned several phrases and whistles, and is generally just a bright spot in our lives. I'm so glad he's in a place that doesn't view him as aggressive or vicious or whatever. That did make me sad.

AzaleaMist

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
Piper and Bella's breeder did a beautiful job with them as far as I can see. They are wonderful little Quakers. Cinna's breeder, while a beautiful Tiel disappointed me when we discovered she smoked. I hope there was not any lasting damage to our baby.
As for the new crew in Q... I get mad a lot. Today is day eleven since we brought them home to us. Petey is making great strides and will flutter his wings in my face, kiss me and will let me scritch him a little. He is stepping up better and is less likely to get startled as fast. I think he is bonding to me. YAY!! I am so happy. The little girl WF, we named her Nova.... is still pretty scared. She will step up now most a good amount of the time with out pecking our hands, will give a kiss or two but I don't think she is really feeling it... she is not cowering anymore in the back of the cage but she is not ready for much contact. She still flies away asap. The Tiels are eating pellets now though with their seeds. This is so good because they were not on vitamins at their first home. I can't wait for Nova to get in some new feathers. Her eyes look so much better.
Max is still so scared/ nervous. I made some progress with him today finally wearing a hooded sweatshirt to cover most of my skin and a headband type earmuff thingy to cover my ears I invited him out without my daughters help to save me lol My husband came home and laughed at me. I was less nervous with my ears and skin covered and max was too. He is just so tense and wants to bite everything as soon as he sees my skin he goes for it. But he also gives me kisses once in a while and finally let me give him a couple scritches after trying to bite me ha ha He is afraid of anything long, straws, perches offered to step up on, pencils etc. he panics. I feel bad for them, who knows what they went through besides being crammed in that cage together , knowing they were fighting and doing nothing. Cute little birdies, lets put another in that cage! I know they were taken in to the vet for wing trims but I do not know anything else.

Just love Thomas the best you can!!!

Jazzysmama

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
My heart breaks for Thomas but I know he'll do great in your care. If I ever run into Breeze's owner I know I won't be able to stay silent on how she raised her. She could have cared less about how she took care of her and her clutch mates. She even said, "it's only a bird.":mad: I knew by the horrible photo on ebay classifieds that no one would want her due to the filthy conditions in the online photo. She didn't care. She allowed Breeze's parents to breed nonstop with never a break, for YEARS. I'll always question if she was inbred. She was even pulling them from the nest to adopt before they were even weaned. She didn't care if the new owners knew how to handfeed.:mad: She was wanting her $'s, thats all that mattered. She lived in a basement and laid on cedar chips for bedding. The lady said, "oh buy cedar chips, it's cheap!" I picked Breeze up and told the lady goodbye as fast as I could. Those quakers were her cash cows sad to say. That was in late July. Come Christmas time she was listing mom and dad on ebay and bragging, "they're laying eggs now!" She wanted 1500.00 because there would be babies soon, plus their cage. I don't even want to know what their cage looked like and no toys either. They were only money makers in her eyes. Breeze now pays the price for either too much egg laying with a lifetime seed only diet or inbreeding. I'm VERY protective of her, I saved her from a horrible basement breeder and she quickly became my world. I give all that I can and do all I can for her to give her happiness and good health to make up for the bad beginning she had. I have also wondered if she remembers those bad times now that she lives a very happy life. She has given me back far more than I could ever give to her in a life time. I truly know the feelings you were going through. Thank you for helping Thomas!

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Korbin Dallas does the same types of things. The other day he painted his cage with blood because I changed his perch. The one time he got out took most of the day to get him back in and he was terrified. I use to leave the door open in case he wanted to come out, but I don't any more. I know he doesn't want to come out and the risk of him accidentally flinging himself out isn't worth it. As far as his previous home, I try not to wonder. There's no doubt in my mind that he was abused. The little I know about his history is not good. As far as Judy, I wish I didn't know anything about her owner. She was absolutely neglected and still suffering from illnesses that went untreated way too long. I hope that both of their previous owners rot in jail where they belong.

Status
Not open for further replies.