• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

how do you dry birdies off after a bath?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mommanessy247

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
vanessa
im planning on getting 2 cockatiels & a caique...
i dont have a hair dryer so would running the heater help them dry off?
or do i need a heat lamp for them?

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
They dry on their own If its winter time we do turn the heat up a little bit But we don't do anything to dry them off - we just let them "air" dry LOL they preen while they're wet to get nice and clean and that also helps them dry

Most birds do NOT like hair dryers on them, plus most of today's hair dryers are made with Teflon which is a HUGE no no when you own birds!

some of ours get soaked to the core - they look like drowned rats - and within 10-20 mins you can't tell they were ever wet.

So as long as they're Fully weaned and feathered Let them dry on their own

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Also, if you do use a hair dryer make sure it is on the lowest 'cool' setting so it does not burn the skin. It's best to not over-dry with a dryer which would defeat the purpose of the bath. It's better to allow the bird to air dry the rest of the way which will help keep the skin and feathers healthy.

crzybrdldy

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Patty
Birds in the wild don't use blowdryers, they don't need them in our homes.

They need to dry on their own so that they can preen and condition their feathers. If they get blown dry it causes dry skin problems and makes their feathers dry and dull looking.

Tinytoez

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tammy
Ive never used a blowdryer on Indy, it would frighten the life out of him.
What I do if its a bit chilly is wrap him in a towel just long enough to stop him dripping everywhere and this is usually sufficient for me to leave him to get on with it - it keeps him quiet for a bit too :)

PerfectlyParrot

Real Name
Kathy
I totally agree with Patty. I use shower time as a way to get a few more minutes peace and quiet for myself, keeps them busy for at least 20-30 minutes preening afterwards. I just make sure in the winter that their room is nice and warm afterwards. You could also invest in a heated perch, but I wouldn't use a blowdryer.

The Cozy Nestbox

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly
I'm in south Florida. We're a drip-dry household! LOL

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I use a teflon free hair dryer. Squeeky likes bath but hates being really wet so I use the hair dryer for a little bit.

love4birds

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
I let them all dry on their own. It does keep them quiet and happy preening for a while:D

Chewy's flight feathers often remain damp for hours when she gets really soaked, so if they're still damp by evening, I'll hold her wings out or get her to flap until they're dry so she doesn't go to bed still wet.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I pick a warm day (or if needed put the heat up a notch). Michael likes to be misted by a spray bottle so I use that to soak him. This really stimulates his preening. He really likes to air dry.

15 minutes on the gentle cycle.
Thank you for the laugh!

Matt

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
If it is winter and kinda cold inside I blow dry them. If it is summer then they dry off on their playstand near the birdroom window.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
They dry on their own. Never use a hair dryer, it will dry out their skin and feathers.

jamie

Real Name
Jamie
I let my birds all choose their own bath times so they "air dry". Usually they choose to bathe in the mornings, however, Dewey will often do it at night after I've changed the papers in his litter tray.

amazonlove

Strolling the yard
Real Name
CARRIE
my quakers like to set on my shoulder and i just drape a small hand towel over them until they are dry

ingrid46

Moving in
Vanessa:

They dry themselves. Give the caique a folded towel to dry off on & watch the fun:dancing: This is how you entertain your friends now--LOL
The cockatiels will preen themselves dry. This all somes under the broad heading of enrichment. It gives them a natural behavior to do which is so important for their well being. So get everyone in the shower on perches then you get in there too & have a whistle fest.:lol:We got a showerhead from Costco that has a very hard spray setting that I point at the shower wall to make a mist & that gently bounces back onto my caiques & they just love it. It also cools the water, so you can have warm water for you & they get cool. Do your showers in the day time.

Ingrid & the girls

Status
Not open for further replies.