• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do I turn corn husk into toys? Help needed!

Skyandkiwi

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Misk
Hello!

So while I was peeling the corn husk off of the corn I recently purchased, I realized how much corn husk was left on my counter. I grabbed a couple of husks, washed them thoroughly, and I am planning to turn these into toys. The corn by the way is organic. How do I dry corn husks? Do I leave them outside, or do I bake them? Also, if I wanted to, for example braid the corn husks, do I braid it, then dry it. Or can I dry the corn husks, and then make toys out of them. Any advice is appreciated! Thank you!!

dollfish

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
I have just done this this week. First braid then dry. Dry under the sun for a full day if your days are hot enough. Don't let them sit, do whatever you want to do and then dry immediately to avoid potential fungal growth. Here are mine! I attach these to toys. They make nice crunchy chewables!

20200821_223116.jpg

Skyandkiwi

Real Name
Misk
I have just done this this week. First braid then dry. Dry under the sun for a full day if your days are hot enough. Don't let them sit, do whatever you want to do and then dry immediately to avoid potential fungal growth. Here are mine! I attach these to toys. They make nice crunchy chewables!

View attachment 351521
Thank you! It’s pretty hot outside, so they’ll dry quick! Btw, your corn husk creations look amazing!

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
They don't shrink much and are still flexible when dry but you wouldn't be able to do things like tieing knots for example, they would break. Can you share your creations too? I love toy ideas!

:smileflower:

Skyandkiwi

Real Name
Misk
I’m currently making them. They are actually quite fun! I’ll keep you updated with pictures once they are done :D

Skyandkiwi

Real Name
Misk
Ok! Here is toy number #1 of the 2 I planned on making! This is how it looks before it is dried. I’ll make sure to send pics of the final product, but I thought i’d give you guys an update. It was very easy and fun to make. All I did was braid 3 pieces of corn husk and did that 3 times until I had 3 big braids. I kept the thin strands of the corn husk for the bottom so that I could create a tassel. I then used twine to secure the whole thing together and viola! My first ever corn husk toy! I am so excited to give it to the budgies!! @dollfish

Attachments

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
Very cute and I love toys like this where you can hide stuff inbetween the fibres.

Skyandkiwi

Real Name
Misk
Alright, update:
Yesterday was literally the sunniest, hottest day of the summer yet in our area, which was the reason I decided to make these toys. The one day I decide to dry corn husks outside, it rains. I don’t know if I can still use it, or not. I’m really upset since they were drying so well!

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
You can dry them in the oven too. I'd set it around 150 F and dry them for a few hours.

Maybe three or four hours to be sure the inside is completely dried.

Last edited:

Skyandkiwi

Real Name
Misk
You can dry them in the oven too. I'd set it around 150 F and dry them for a few hours.
Alright, I’ll try that. Although with rain on it, could I still wash and dry it again?

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Certainly. That shouldn't be a problem.

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
Yeah I think so. And if your summers are anything like ours you could dry them in the sun again for a full day. Sunlight wreaks havoc on organisms.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The oven method sounds best as it should kill any mold formations.

Skyandkiwi

Real Name
Misk
Update!
I put in the sun as it a was very hot outside, And then baked it as @Lady Jane and @Destiny said. They turned a little brown, is that normal? D7AD64FD-E096-4B69-9238-866B50D1AB36.jpeg

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
I guess so. I don't bake mine and they turn a light yellow. This is just a few shades darker probably because of the extra heat since you baked them.

Skyandkiwi

Real Name
Misk
I guess so. I don't bake mine and they turn a light yellow. This is just a few shades darker probably because of the extra heat since you baked them.
Yes, next time I’ll just sun dry them. Could I still put it in their cage? Thank you!

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
I think you can, they will be a little crunchier that's all! I hope Sky and Kiwi enjoy! :dance2: