• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do I get my birds to eat veggies

Lami

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lamar
Well I am converting from a seed diet to veggies and pellets so first I will get my 2 love birds to eat veggies but like I got there chop ready and I sprinkle some seed on it but do I remove the seeds for like 30 mins and see if they eat the chop or do I still keep the seeds in plz help

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Try putting seeds in there and slowly reducing the amount you put on there each day. Maybe try a lettuce leaf up near their favourite perch or toy. :budgie2: :hug8:

Lami

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lamar
Try putting seeds in there and slowly reducing the amount you put on there each day. Maybe try a lettuce leaf up near their favourite perch or toy. :budgie2: :hug8:
Oh ty but at the start should I put more seeds then chop

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
I would try equal parts seed then chop, or maybe more chop than seed. They need to recognise that the chop is food. :budgie2:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I got there chop ready and I sprinkle some seed on it but do I remove the seeds for like 30 mins and see if they eat the chop
Yes. Start with just 20 minutes though. If they eat the vegetables, you can wait the 30 minutes before putting the seed back in.
Do it first thing in the morning as I found it was more successful.
You can also mix in some pellets into the vegetables.

I am converting from a seed diet to veggies and pellets
While it is great you are introducing fresh vegetables and pellets, Lovebirds do well with a little seed. So I would still give them a small portion of seeds too, as well as pellets and vegetables.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My budgies were eating all seed when I got them. I had luck by preparing the chop and mixing some of their seed with it, as others have said. The chop is nice and wet, and the seed sticks to the vegetables, sprouts, and legumes...so they would get a taste of the veggies along with their seed. Pretty soon, I was leaving the seed out of the chop. Now I mix a bit with their pellets. Now pellets were a whole different conversion battle, lol!