• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do I get my bird to eat veggies?

kifird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jeremy
I have basically given up on trying to feed my bird fruits and veg. I've been fiddling it in front of her face and even been eating it just so that she can try it. I think my bird is addicted to millet because we feed her pellets, and whenever she takes the sight of millet, she goes crazy for it.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Have you tried broccoli? Chopped up in tiny pieces the tops look like seeds. You can also try sprouting.

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I know... Mine are reluctent too. They would eat veggies by accident if I give them a mix of miced or most veggies with seeds topping. eventually they could chew some apple or salat but it happens once or twice a week :meh:...
I had another budgie who just loved the most veggies, then the other one would eat it too, but after the first one died, the other one never touched it again by himself :shifty:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You just have to keep trying. You could sprinkle some millet on top of the veggies. Have you tried carrot tops or celery leaves? My budgies used to like those. They also liked apple and sprouted greens. You can also try mixing the veggies in a mash or baking them in a bird bread. May or may not work. My birds do eat veggies but they don't like mashes or bird breads.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Took me 6 months each to get my quakers to eat veggies!