• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

how do i discourage mating behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nic_and_Andy

Meeting neighbors
:newhere:
Hi all. Let me first take a second to introduce myself in case you missed my intro on the welcome forum.

I just recently adopted a male red-belly parrot that is somewhere around 14 years old. His previous owner had him for about 12 years and then decided that she couldnt really give him the attention he needs anymore. Andy is my first bird and I have had him for 3 weeks. I have always been a bird lover and have been around birds a lot, but he is my first.

The first thing I would like to deal with is his mating behavior. He seems to have chosen me as his mate and performs mating behavior almost every time I hold him. Mostly he does it if I sit down, so I try to stand while I hold him to help avoid it but that doesnt always work. I have tried a couple things such as blowing a little puff of air in his face which helps for all of about 5 seconds. I also try switching hands with him which makes him stop briefly each time he switches hands. I have tried putting him on time-outs, but the difficulty is that it is VERY hard to get him to leave my hand when he isnt ready to. I dont want to just stop holding him for the time being, and I dont think that would be good for him either, but I am lost as to what to do.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can try? Does anyone know how long this will continue for?:heelp:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
you can give scratches around the head but no lower ,and the no petting below the head really should be an all the time thing, not just when they're hormonal or in "mating" mode

Riley's mom

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cindy
It also doesn't help that you aquired him at a time when "love is in the air" so to speak. Once the season is over, he will probably be just fine. Good luck and congratulations.

thejoie

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
funny you mention this. I recently adopted a 16 year old Red Belly female who's definitely in mating mode too!
John's link is definitely helpful!

Nic_and_Andy

Meeting neighbors
Article helped. I now only scratch him on the head and the mating behavior is very rare. I also found out I need to watch for certain verbal cues too. It appears that since I have previously praised him by petting his back and saying "good boy" he now thinks that simply saying "good boy" is an invitation.

Status
Not open for further replies.