• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Housing breeding pairs

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim0398

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Timothy
I just recieved a gigantic parrot cage from a friend, I was wondering if I could put like 3 or 4 pairs of lovebirds in the cage together for breeding, is that a safe thing to do or do i have to stick to having one cage per lovebird pair.
Thanks so much for the advice
Tim

tim0398

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Timothy
ps the bars on the cage are small enough where the lovebirds cant get out I forgot to add that

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
You can colony breed Lovebirds in a large aviary/cage but best to have more nestboxes than pairs, a few more and put them all at the same level near the top of the aviary - around the perimeter if possible, not too close together. Have them all look alike, same size etc.

Still keep an eye for birds that just do not want to get along, this sometimes happens for whatever reason, as it does with humans. Then remove and separately cage the trouble makers. You might want to also keep more than one food and watering station to reduce chance of squabbles.

What size is your cage? Gigantic = what dimensions? Any chance of a pic or two?

tim0398

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Timothy
Yeah I can take pictures of it, ill post them later this week, I currantly tried to colony breed my cockatiels but they just did not want to get along with each other. I will get the dimensions later on.

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
Yeah I can take pictures of it, ill post them later this week, I currantly tried to colony breed my cockatiels but they just did not want to get along with each other. I will get the dimensions later on.
How big was your flight/cage/aviary where you tried to colony breed your Tiels? Did you by any chance use the same suggestions I just gave you for the Lovies?​

AZReno

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lynn
Yes, what size? Even in a large aviary there is squabbling, they are territorial and will bite any bird coming into their space. Are you planning to hand feed all the birds or allow the parents to rear some or all of them. Even if the cage is large enough to house 3-4 pairs, a huge problem can arise if the parents are raising the babies. Once the little ones start coming out of the box, things can get pretty nasty even if there is plenty of room, those parents don't want another bird anywhere near their babies, and if they are short on room and you have more than one clutch going...., it's just an awful lot of stress on everybirdy, there will be injuries or deaths.

Status
Not open for further replies.