• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

House fire, birds, help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BreannPearlLang

Checking out the neighborhood
I had a bad fire in my house tonight,
I immediately called 911 and got my birds out, but I'm really worried for them. 1. its COLD outside in Alaska..
2. the smell of burnt plastic is everywhere..
I changed their food and i'm going to continue airing out the house, but I'm just really freaked out for them.

tomorrow I'm going to thoroughly clean their cages and I'm about to switch their water. :(

newatthistx

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Michele
I'm sorry to hear about the fire......I hope you will all be fine.....can you put them in a different room in the house and shut the vents and maybe put a barrier at the bottom of the door and crack the window in their room and maybe cover 70% ( leave the front open) of their cages with a heavy blanket that doesn't smell like smoke to help keep them warm while your house airs out?

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
If you can't do the above do yo have somewhere else you can stay for 3-4 days until the house airs out.

Chicobo

Real Name
Erin
Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear this!

I agree with the above. I'm not sure the extent of the fire or what burned, but it's not healthy for them OR you to be in there while fumes from furniture, carpet, or plastic are still in the house. That stuff is toxic, and yes, it's been cold here in PA so I can only imagine it's colder in Alaska!

Do you live hear any hotels you can afford that might be willing to give you a break with the birds for a night or two? Family? Friends? Maybe a vet, or heck, even someone with a heated garage? I'd even say maybe, in a worst case, you could if you were super worried, use a car -- if it were big enough. What kinds of birds do you have?

You can do the old "open the windows with the fans facing out" trick -- it will make a lot of the house cold, but if you have one fan facing out it will pull air IN the other windows and OUT that window, turning the air over in the house very quickly. I do that sometimes when my fiance burns food. I don't like the smoky smell near the birds so I close the bedroom door and window, open the bathroom door and window, and put a fan blowing OUT in the kitchen window. The air pulls through the bathroom, away from the birds, and out the kitchen window.

Not sure the layout of your home, though.

Sending you and your birds all the good thoughts I can. I'm sorry this happened. I hope all of you are okay.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I agree with all of the above and send :hug8:

PortaPerch

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Graybeard
I would stay out until you can no longer smell burnt plastic. About 30 years ago, Air Canada FLight 797 had a toilet fire and made emergency descent and landing in Cincinnati. There were 23 dead who had failed to get out in the 90 seconds after the doors opened and before the fire flashed over. All of them had fatal levels of cyanide in their blood from the burning plastic interior walls.

Please be safe.

Last edited:

AzaleaMist

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
:hug8:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I agree, I would stay elsewhere if you can, and have someone do a smell bomb in your home to eliminate the smell. We had a fire in November and that is what we did.

BreannPearlLang

Checking out the neighborhood
I immediately took my birds outside when the flames came out of the oven and alarms went off.
I took my birds to a $40 cabin right after the firefighters put out the fire.
i have three conures, two cockatiels, two parakeets but this morning i found one of my parakeets dead :(
i feel bad for obvious reasons, but I also had just adopted him from someone that really loved him.

so now i'm cleaning the heck out of my house, burning orange peels and cinnamon, and then i'll bring my fids home and washing down all perches, toys, sleep sacks, cages, etc

now i'm really worried about them getting a respiratory infection

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I am so sorry - I have no other advice than what has been given so far. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your flock.:hug8:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I immediately took my birds outside when the flames came out of the oven and alarms went off.
I took my birds to a $40 cabin right after the firefighters put out the fire.
i have three conures, two cockatiels, two parakeets but this morning i found one of my parakeets dead :(
i feel bad for obvious reasons, but I also had just adopted him from someone that really loved him.

so now i'm cleaning the heck out of my house, burning orange peels and cinnamon, and then i'll bring my fids home and washing down all perches, toys, sleep sacks, cages, etc

now i'm really worried about them getting a respiratory infection

And rightly you should worry about respiratory infections. Watch them closely, keep them very warm and run to the vet if any show unusual symptoms.

Chicobo

Real Name
Erin
Oh no, I'm so so sorry to hear that one of your guys didn't make it. That's so heartbreaking.

Birds have really sensitive lungs because of their biological design. I don't really have the time & energy to type that all up now, but if you look it up, you'll see. So respiratory infection is easy and can happen from even small irritations.
:hug8:

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Oh gosh, I am so sorry...I would not bring them back into the house until it is thoroughly aired out...I know you feel guilty about the little parakeet and I am so sorry he didn't make it, but you are doing everything you can....:hug8:

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Hang in there! I grew up in Alaska. I know how cold and isolated it can be. What part are you in? I hope everything works out. :(

Parront

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Annrose
I used to work for a Restoration company that dealt primarily with Fire/Water damage.
I would HIGHLY suggest that you rent a OZONE machine to clean out the smoke in your home.
Plastic fires/smoke are the most dangerous to both people and animals.
That should be done ASAP. Smoke will linger in your furniture, drapes etc if you do not.

When you use a OZONE machine, NO one can be in the home for the time you are running the machine.
Do not know about Alaska, but here you can rent them at Rental Stores where you would rent big machinery.

As for cleaning things...I suggest ODO Ban. I wish you the best of luck!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I am so sorry this has happened, and for your loss.:(

Mystics Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
So sorry:hug8:..do you know anyone who has oxygen(or if you have a vet)after a fire oxygen therapy is important..will anyone let you keep your birds at their house for a wk...wish we had members there(you are in alaska?)

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I am so sorry :hug8::hug8::hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.