• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hormones Hormones Hormones

GeezLouise

Meeting neighbors
My almost 4 year old GCC has always been hormonal. I was very blind and ignorant to enabling that behavior in the beginning.

But today is an exceptionally bad day. She will not stop trying to find a nesty hole to hide in, being bitey and loud. I’ve really tried to distract her with foraging, but she does not want to do anything but look for dark spaces while she’s out. It’s obsessive! Am I going about this the right way? I don’t know what else to do other than discourage and try to distract, but it’s these moments where it’s extreme. I don’t want to keep her locked up in her cage, but is that what I have to do in times like this? Thank you

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You can try offering more hours of darkness if you are giving your bird warm soft food stopping this may help.

sootling

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
Yup, soft warm food can be a huge trigger. 12-14 hours of sleep is ideal, and maybe even 16 if your bird is more hormonal.

GeezLouise

Meeting neighbors
Yup, soft warm food can be a huge trigger. 12-14 hours of sleep is ideal, and maybe even 16 if your bird is more hormonal.
She has never wanted to sleep. This is something I’m glad you brought up because I’ve almost given up on the idea of giving her more time to rest. If I cover her during the day she will scream and scream, and has only ever slept 9-10 hours at most on her own. I guess it’s just our routine we’ve made over the years, she will fuss when she’s ready to wake up and eat. Any suggestions?

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She has never wanted to sleep. This is something I’m glad you brought up because I’ve almost given up on the idea of giving her more time to rest. If I cover her during the day she will scream and scream, and has only ever slept 9-10 hours at most on her own. I guess it’s just our routine we’ve made over the years, she will fuss when she’s ready to wake up and eat. Any suggestions?
Do you cover her cage ?

sootling

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
Well don't cover her during the day, only at night. The point isn't for them to sleep through the day, it's for them to get a good nights sleep.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do you cover her cage ?
Yes you cover during the day :nocomment:

Create a night time routine get her to bed early cover her cage and try and ensure the room is as quiet a possible.
Dont cover during the day if she wants to nap she will do.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
If I cover her during the day she will scream and scream, and has only ever slept 9-10 hours at most on her own.
Is there a particular reason you do this covering during the day? Do you think this could be affecting your birds night time routine?

GeezLouise

Meeting neighbors
Is there a particular reason you do this covering during the day? Do you think this could be affecting your birds night time routine?
Oh I never cover her during the day. In the past I did when she was being noisy but that was short lived and years ago. She’s only ever covered partially at night.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh I never cover her during the day. In the past I did when she was being noisy but that was short lived and years ago. She’s only ever covered partially at night.
Cover her cage make it as dark as possible

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Cover her cage make it as dark as possible
I'm fully agree with this. In the wild they sleep under a forest canopy in total darkness so it makes sense to keep it natural.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
To adjust her sleep time put her to bed earlier rather than trying to make her wake up later. 9-10 hours sleep is fine in many case but if your are trying to break a hormonal cycle then make it about 12-14 hours dark time like it would be outside in winter. You do not have to do it all at once just start doing it 10 or 15 minutes earlier each day until you get it to the time you want. Shortening days a little each day is better than making a short day all of the sudden. It may help turn off the hormones.