• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hormones are a raging! What do we do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ortegah

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Petrie is in major hormonal mode right now. When Will(my husband) picks her up, she holds the wings down low, regurgitates, sticks her vent in his face and whines and begs. Should he just not have any interaction with her for a while? He doesn't want to not spend time with her at all, but we're at a loss for what to do. And how long will this last before she's back to her normal self?

Any help is greatly appreciated :hug8:

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Petrie doesn't do games yet. She just started chewing on toys in the past few weeks. All she wants morning noon and night is to be with her Daddy :hehe:

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Heather, this the time that alot of birds are starting to become twitterpated! (Bambi movie) LOL! My Sammy U2 is in love with me. As soon as the sexual behavior starts, I just put him down. Not back in his cage just off of me. It takes a couple times but he eventually gets the point. Unfortunately this could go on for a couple months. Tell your husband to ignore this behavior. I know Petrie is not letting him pet her so thats not an issue. It will start to slow down. I hope!

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Carlos went through this about a month ago. I just tried to distract him, walked around the house with him, or if that didnt work, I just held him on my hand and didnt talk, just sat there until he stopped and put his wings back where they belonged! It seemed to work. I am using a custom flower essence with him too for hormonal balance and that has worked wonderful. Since I have been using it, no issues.

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Oh no, actually Petrie LOVES him petting her. He's the only one that can touch her and she wants to be touched all over by him ;) He's sad because he loves his time with her and doesn't want to have to resort to ignoring her.

WenM

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Wendy
Don't let him encourage the behavior though - it can get worse and turn aggressive. He may have to have "no touching/holding" time with her instead. Kota is going through hormone time too and will regurg for my DH at the slightest touch, wings are arched, all the signs are there - it escalated to what we call the "Memorex Warning" at our house - using my hubbie's low voice and words followed by a wicked laugh right before biting. After that it's a lightenng fast bite whenever he feels like it because he is cranked up and "horn-ery" ha -

lamagdalena

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
I always distract her with treats. Of course I don't give it to her right away otherwise she might think I am praising her (tequila) for wanting "to get it on" :hehe:

but that does the trick and she forgets for awhile anyways, that she was in the mood. ;)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
As mentioned, traveling around the house, playing games on the floor, teaching her to talk, anything except just sitting there and petting. He just needs to avoid the behavior any way he can. He can still interact with her just no petting. Clicker training is a good way to pass the time. It can last as long as 10 weeks.

M

M.C Bird Rescue

I agree with John. The best way is to just ignore it and do something else.

Tamara

Real Name
Tamara R Money
Clicker training is good. Avoiding petting that can stimulate sexual behavior as well (back, under wings). Head rubs should be ok, but when she starts acting sexual, he should put her down or on a playground or what not. That's what I have to do with Evee a lot when he is in that mode.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Thats also interesting that clicker training is helpful with this behavior.

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Thanks guys! I'm relaying all this back to him right now :D

Status
Not open for further replies.