• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hormone implant for Budgie

nour.s

Moving in
Real Name
Nour
Hello,

I have a budgie who is a chronic egg layer, she has been to the vet when an emergency happened and she almost died because of calcium deficiency. She thankfully survived and started hormone therapy injections. It has been a few months that we are doing hormone therapy, with a few set backs where she continued to lay, but less. Now the appointments for hormone injections are every 3 weeks and it is becoming too much for my budget. The vet suggests that we do a hormone implant that would last much longer, however, she will need to be sedated for the implant and I'm worried that the process will cause her to die. Anyone has been through the same experience? What should I do?

BirdG1rl

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Mara M.M
@Ripshod? Edited to add that in my opinion a budgie is very small and fragile for an implant like that. But that is just my opinion! Hopefully the member I’ve tagged will know more. :)

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
For such a quick procedure your girl would only need to be lightly sedated - just enough to stop her fighting the vet and causing injury to herself. But that's entirely up to the vet. An inexperienced vet would likely sedate more heavily.
Have you tried all the normal methods we use to avoid egg laying, such as shortening her day?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Here is some accurate information about hormone implants. First your budgie is not too small and if your vet says it's ok it is 99% ok. My vet gives implants to budgies on a regular basis. Two of my macaws have had the implants - both had very serious chronic illnesses and could not stand the strain of laying eggs. IMO it is far better that your bird get the implant and have a chance at living rather than slowly declining from excessive egg laying. Desiloren and Suprelorin re the same thing.

Deslorelin is also used in birds to try to help control sexually-motivated feather picking and to try to deter egg-laying. Just as in ferrets, in birds, placing the implant is simple and involves a brief sedation in which the implant is inserted under the skin over the bird’s back. Implants in birds last up to several months and can be more convenient and cost effective than treating with monthly injections of the hormone, Lupron, which has been traditionally used to treat these conditions in birds. Unlike many other veterinary hospitals, the Veterinary Center has this revolutionary new treatment that is safe and effective in treating reproductive-based problems in birds.

How long do deslorelin implants last?

The average duration of efficacy of the 4.7mg implants is about 1 year, and about 2 years for the 9.4mg implant.

This was 2011 so the practice has matured greatly since then.

2/25/11
  • Thanks to Steve for pointing out this thread was active again. :)

My experience with the implant has been fantastic, and we have put the implants in MANY other small birds at the vet clinic I work at with great success!!

Zoe stopped laying very quickly after the implant was put in, and only now is beginning to show nesting behaviour again. The implant has lasted well considering there is little research on it's time frame in anything other than dogs/cats.

It's a very quick and simple anaesthic procedure, your bird would only be under for a minute or two. The implant itself and the technique for placing it is very similar to a microchip, but the implant is longer. It is placed along the birds breast muscle, under the skin or sticking only shallowly into the actual muscle.

All the small birds we've implanted have recovered within minutes and not seemed bothered by the implant at all other than to preen the feathers around the site back into place. :)

Zoe will be getting another implant if she begins laying again, I won't have any hesitation!! We have a few birds who come in 9-12 monthly for implants to keep them from laying excessively.

Sorry it took so long for me to reply to this topic. By the sounds of it these implants are coming into more frequent use in birds. :D

Like Quote Reply

https://www.stlzoo.org/animals/scienceresearch/reproductivemanagementcenter/contraceptionrecommendatio/contraceptionmethods/suprelorin-deslorelin