• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hormonal ringneck anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

impala400

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Yvonne
Just kidding.:D

Doisy seems to be going through some hormones and since is the first time for me having a hormonal bird I thought I'd run through his behaviors and get some feedback. Some of my questions are ringneck specific but not all so I thought I'd post here.

First off, Doisy turned 2 in March and my research shows that IRNs can reach sexual maturity between 2 & 3. In the past 2-3 weeks, Doisy has starting to exhibit new behaviors that I feel are related to hormones. He's gotten grouchy, more vocal, and more nippy. He's also been romancing a wheel that he never had any interest in before.:huh: The new behaviors come in spurts throughout the day and are not a constant thing. In other words, he'll be nippy and grouchy for an hour or two and then decide that he wants to come sit by me or play with his toys.

The first thing I've noticed is that he is talking to me a lot more. He's always talked a lot, just not when I was really close and he would never repeat after me. When I come close, he will start displaying (leaning back, pinning eyes, bobbing, knocking on stuff) and talking. Am I being seen as a potential mate or as a threat?

The next thing I've noticed is the nippiness, especially when he is in or was recently in display mode. Doisy never went through bluffing and has never been a biter or nipper. He's also always been skittish around hands and would usually just try to avoid them. If I ask him to step up to put him in his cage before he wants to go, he will pinch me a couple times...nothing serious but not pleasant either. I've taken to using a perch to pick him up when I have to put him in when I know he will not want to go in. This he will lunge at and attack as he is on it.

Next, is a screaming issue that only appeared within the past few weeks. This has to do specifically with the lovebirds. Doisy is not aggressive towards my other birds. He's not friends with them but doesn't hate them either. The lovebirds seem to be the object of the most dislike. Instead of attacking other birds, Doisy screams at them, sigh. If they are too close to him (usually they're no closer than a foot), he puffs up, pins his eyes, and lets out an ear-piercing shriek. This is repeated until the lovebirds leave (they never do...they just sit and stare at him...maybe they're deaf:hehe:) or I remove Doisy for a time-out in his cage. None of the other birds are subjected to this treatment. Occasionally, mirrors and I get this treatment. I guess he sees them as a threat or as being in his territory? This behavior doesn't relate to a specific location.

The last is the skirt dance that is directed towards the wheel (it's part of a cage and I have it setting on a book case). Doisy fluffs up, drops his wings and bobs and sways around this wheel. Eyes are pinning and he will make a "what" sort of sound towards it. He also crouches down and balls his two feet together and sits on them as shown in the pictures.

So my questions:
Anybody know how long ringneck hormonal periods last?
Is there anything I should do to make this easier on both of us?
Is there a way to lessen the screaming? (This is driving my husband crazy:o:)
Should I remove the wheel or leave it?
Are some of these ringneck specific behaviors?

I would not consider his behaviors extreme, just new to me. I've not had much luck on finding stuff on IRN hormones besides bluffing.

DSC_3847.jpg
DSC_3848.jpg
DSC_3855.jpg
DSC_3857.jpg
DSC_3858.jpg

all4stvoyager

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sara
I have no IRN specific info, but my ekkie is in his pubescent stage as well. I find that removing the object he has chosen to "dance" with just makes him frustrated and he's going to find another object of get a bit more aggressive since he isn't able to get the job done.

As far as the posturing, I have made it into a game with Mister. I imitate him, and it usually distracts him. I definitely dont "pet" him when he is like this. I say "ooo, big birdy" and he starts to flap his wings and pin his eyes. it's actually pretty cool to watch.

As far as nippiness, I think its important to be mindful that even if this is a result of feeling hormonal, patterns can still be established. it is good that you are using a perch to put him back in his cage. Maybe for the next few weeks rely more on that perch. He's just going to be a bit more unpredictable. I'd personally let him do his thing, and not get in the way of his beak if at all possible :)

Hopefully someone with IRN experience will be able to give more insight as well :)

He sure is gorgeous, btw!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
First, Doisy is a handsome guy. We've had Titan, our IRN, for 20 years now. Hormone season is SUCH a joy! IRN's do get grouchy and loud at this time.And the nippiness,ugh. Titan USUALLY goes through his displays,etc, for about about a month. His "favored" things are people's toes! He does his dance around them,like Doisy does. Then he feeds your toes, and attempts to mate with them. If you attempt to interfere with the process,well, BITEY,BITEY time. If you think Doisy is spending too much time with his wheel, distract him, and take the wheel away. I wish I could let you in on something to ally the shrieking, but that kind of goes with the hormones. As for the displays directed at you, they are very much courting displays. Try not to encourage them. The rules about full body petting ,etc, are important here.
I'll end here.Rest assured Doisy isn't doing anything unusual , they're very natural behaviors during the "silly season". I hope that some of this will help you and Doisy.Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions...

impala400

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Yvonne
Thank you both. :hug8: That makes me feel better about the way I've been dealing with him. Petting is not an issue as he was never a bird that liked to be petted anyways.:lol:Now I just have to wait the hormones out.:rolleyes:

Ariahna

Sprinting down the street
I am not looking forward to this time. I'm glad there are others like you posting your experiences though, so people like me with younger IRNs have a better idea of what to look for and how to respond. :dancing:

Ariahna

P.S. Is that a flight harness you have on your bird in your avatar? How long did it take you before you were able to put it on your bird?

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
Hi, Yvonne--I just LOVE IRN's & Alexandrines--Doisey sounds like a perfectly normal IRN in thrall to his hormones. What a character! You're going to have some great stories to tell the next time someone says 'Oh, you have a parrot? What's he like?' Carry some wallet-sized copies of those pics.:):):) And I wouldn't take away his beloved wheel:heart:

Ariahna

Oh my goodness, this is so ironic. Today P.J. is at my office with me. I try to take him in a few times a week so that he stays well socialized and doesn't develop many phobias later, and he started doing the male mating display at his boing of all things! I grabbed my iphone to take some video of it and I will upload it later. He's not even four months old.....it must really be IRN "silly season"!!! :eek::lol:

impala400

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Yvonne
P.S. Is that a flight harness you have on your bird in your avatar? How long did it take you before you were able to put it on your bird?
Yep, it's a flight suit. He's pretty easy to handle so it didn't take long to be able to put it on him. However, he absolutely hates it and spends most of his time picking at the velcro. He also seems to be between two sizes so I don't use it much any all. I have an aviator harness that I use more often but he's not a fan of that either. I think the flight suit is easier to put on and off but I think the aviator harness is more secure due to the lack of velcro.

Doisy started doing the display dance early (leaning back, pinning eyes, wings out) but didn't start doing the skirt dance until this past month.

impala400

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Yvonne
:hehe: My piano students at my old place of work loved to hear about my birds. I have pictures on my phone that they loved to look at. They also got to meet Doisy once and feed him treats. Quite a few kids were telling their parents about how they wanted a bird.:D

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
:hehe: My piano students at my old place of work loved to hear about my birds. I have pictures on my phone that they loved to look at. They also got to meet Doisy once and feed him treats. Quite a few kids were telling their parents about how they wanted a bird.:D
*photos in the wallet* hahaha (Once again making it painfully clear I'm WAY older than most of you !!!:eek: I'm so glad you're socializing him--never got it done w/my Nicky (SC)--& he's the poorer for it.:(

Ariahna

Okay here is P.J. and him being hormonal today. This was the first time he's behaved like this and to my surprise, the phone camera in his face didn't stop him. :lol:

I had to put music over the video because I had a really hard time not laughing at him. He had an audience of two other people as well. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Oh my goodness, this is so ironic. Today P.J. is at my office with me. I try to take him in a few times a week so that he stays well socialized and doesn't develop many phobias later, and he started doing the male mating display at his boing of all things! I grabbed my iphone to take some video of it and I will upload it later. He's not even four months old.....it must really be IRN "silly season"!!! :eek::lol:
I think that's great that you can let P.J. come to your office with you.Titan started visiting the private school that I was working at when he was just 4 months old.Now he loves to make visits to schools ,nursing homes, etc. He "works" the people-he will go to one person , spend a few minutes with them, and move to the next person in line! He is truely a big ham-loves the attention he gets.As for P.J.and his boing, oh well, he's just being silly...:hehe::hehe::hehe:

Ariahna

P.J. loves it at the office. He spends the day between the boing and a table top java wood playstand- no cage time at all except for the trip to and from the car and the car ride both ways. He has several foot and other toys, but he doesn't really go to other people besides me. I hope some day he opens up to others, I am going to keep working on that. :D

DebysFids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Deby
you want a hormonal sunconure ? just kidding I love my little Echo , Opey our quaker is hormonal to but he isn't bitey or anything Echo on the other hand is attacking my hubby every chance he gets and he definitly thinks I'am his mate ,he does his little dance and regurgatates on me when he can and yukkky stuff I really try to distract from all of this
he bit my hubby good tonight , hubby forgot I had him with me in the recliner chair and he leaned over the chair for a minute and Echo jumped up real fast and nailed him on his hand , I will be glad when this hormonal season is over with

Ariahna

One thing I have noticed about IRNs, they are more likely to accidently bite when excited, in either a good or a bad way. I sort of expected him to lunge at me or my phone today when we was all worked up, but so far I have been lucky. I am always paying attention to his body language, he's my first bird so I am learning a lot.

Bob, some day you will have to share how you got your IRN so social. From what I can tell that is not the norm by any means. :D

So how long does this last?

impala400

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Yvonne
Okay here is P.J. and him being hormonal today. This was the first time he's behaved like this and to my surprise, the phone camera in his face didn't stop him. :lol:

I had to put music over the video because I had a really hard time not laughing at him. He had an audience of two other people as well. :D
Yep, Doisy does the displaying like that all the time.:D It's usually accompanied by knocking, kissing noises, and giggling...honest, he giggles. He will display to his food dishes, a treat cup, a favorite knob, mirrors, etc. Recently, he has added talking. Now he leans back and usually says "Whatcha doin'?" He cracks me up.

Last edited by a moderator:

impala400

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Yvonne
*photos in the wallet* hahaha (Once again making it painfully clear I'm WAY older than most of you !!!:eek: I'm so glad you're socializing him--never got it done w/my Nicky (SC)--& he's the poorer for it.:(
:lol:I do have photos in my wallet but they are painfully outdated...at least 6 or 7 years old. My sisters would be appalled.:hehe:

I think that's great that you can let P.J. come to your office with you.Titan started visiting the private school that I was working at when he was just 4 months old.Now he loves to make visits to schools ,nursing homes, etc. He "works" the people-he will go to one person , spend a few minutes with them, and move to the next person in line! He is truely a big ham-loves the attention he gets.As for P.J.and his boing, oh well, he's just being silly...:hehe::hehe::hehe:
Doisy is generally cautious around people but food always wins. He'll sit on anybody for a sunflower seed or some millet. :rolleyes: He's become much more comfortable with my husband and I try to have people who come over interact with him. He had to go to the vet several months ago and I was so proud of him because he was so calm:heart:...didn't bite, fly, or struggle and he was in pain, poor thing.

Ariahna

Yep, Doisy does the displaying like that all the time.:D It's usually accompanied by knocking, kissing noises, and giggling...honest, he giggles. He will display to his food dishes, a treat cup, a favorite knob, mirrors, etc. Recently, he has added talking. Now he leans back and usually says "Whatcha doin'?" He cracks me up.
Oh my goodness, that has to be so funny to watch. I had a hard time watching P.J. with his boing without laughing, when he starts talking or making kissing sounds, I'm going to be cracking up! :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.