• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hormonal Quaker

TeleBirds

Moving in
So it’s that time of year again (fall), and my quaker is molting like crazy. She is also very hormonal, as usual, being that we are in the fall season. Does anyone else’s bird/quaker tend to over preen the inside of his/hers leg area? My quaker always loves to over preen the inside of her right leg (see photo). She does this annually, whenever she has a massive molt or is hormonal due to mating season. This year it seems a little more excessive than usual. I was reading that this is primarily caused by hormone related issues. She’s about 9yrs old and I am her second home. She has never had any plucking issues, and when I took her for an annual checkup in February 2022, the vet said her feathers are healthy. She just loves to preen this one spot too much!

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Hi. Cute birdie!
My 3 girls do not do this. They range in age from 2-20. I don't get much breeding behavior in fall. Mine are just finishing the molt. My old girl takes longer to finish molts as won't with pins

But they love to go to ceiling fan in my cathedral ceiling and scream out a come hither love song during spring breeding season