• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hormonal behavior?

EnglishBudgMom

Walking the driveway
Sooo... Bubbles (1.5 yr old English Budgie) has come into her first season. Her cere is a darker, crusty brown now. I've noticed her poops have gotten bigger and slightly more watery, and lately she's been doing stuff she hasn't done since she was a baby. She used to love snuggling under things, my shirt, a blanket, and especially under my ponytail (I use a hair clip rather than a scrunchie). The last two days when she's been sitting on me for a bit, she'll crawl under there and preen/nibble gently on my neck hairs and the clip. I reached back once and put my hand over the clip area, to feel hair and Bird.... and a nip on my finger :wacky: she did not want me messing with her in the "hair hideout". She's bigger now, but mostly fits under my hair, I guess. IMG_3296.JPG IMG_3298 (Edited).JPG
My concern is that this is "nesty" behavior??? I just find it weird she's gone back to this habit after so long, and developing into a no-touchy bird. She is tame, steps up, etc... but does not like being touched. She hasn't asked for head scratches since I last took her to the vet for a nail trim and she let me scritch her in the car... who knew? My parents were just visiting and my Mom wants to "pet her soft soft head" (that's what she said) and Bubbles will not have any of that business. Your thoughts?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
My thoughts are to understand this should be temporary behavior and nothing to worry about. Let her be if she does not want a human touch at this time. Other budgies owners are having hormonal behavior also so it must be the season, although we have a month or more before Spring time.

Triggers of Breeding Behavior:

1. Extended hours of light. Lengthening days and increased amounts of artificial light will cause a bird's reproductive organs to increase in size which in turn triggers a significant increase in hormonal activity.
  2. The availability of a suitable nest site and nesting materials. A suitable nest sites may, in your pet's eyes, include ordinary household items like cardboard boxes, areas behind cushions on the couch, even shoes. It is best to discourage them from claiming those as nests. Nesting material can be paper or a favorite blanket.
  3. Availability of a mate (can be you, another bird or an object, such as a favorite toy)
  4. Diet: Levels of fat and/or protein, as well as starches in the diet. Warm, wet food (nestling food) also encourages breeding behavior.
  5. Perceived sexual petting (i.e., stroking the bird's backside or near the vent)