• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Honest Critique on Cage please

Status
Not open for further replies.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
no perches don't have to go the entire length or width of the cage

most of my cages have one that goes the entire width (from right to left) Then has some shorter ones that go at angles in corners for the ones Who like a "window" seat I have a few birds who would hang off the side of the cage by their beak to look out the window - so i took some shorter perches I had and put them in at a angle and gave them a corner seat so they'd be more comfy looking out the window :D

I have had some of the calcium perches hanging from the roof of the cage for when they're playing on the top they'll climb all over it and hang off it

I don't recommend happy huts or their equivalent for female birds, they will eventually see it as a nest and start laying eggs. not just be territorial

however I have one female Quaker who does have one - she's 20 this year I've had her since 2008, She's laid a total of 3 eggs BEFORE i ever gave her a happy hut Paid no attention to any of them (one egg was laid the night I got her - lol) since she's had it she has not laid a single egg, she only sleeps in it, or sits on her swing and bashes it around (its all fabric soft and fuzzy she sees it as a toy more then anything) but since we got her a different cage Thursday she hasn't slept in it - which is odd for her she's my Quaker who doesn't mind change and just blows changes off lol

you can also use Natural Tree branches from Safe trees for their perches. Just make sure no pesticides were sprayed on them

I have a Lilac bush outside my bedroom window in my back yard - don't have to worry about car fumes since its in the back, I know it is never sprayed but i still wash the branches off any way - the wild birds and squirrels enjoy the lilac bush

here's a couple websites - for toxic/non toxic trees/plants etc.

Non-toxic for birds list and a list of things that are toxic for birds.

Toxic and Safe Plants/Trees for Birds - Household Poisons

Bird; Birds: Safe, Toxic Trees, Woods. Safe Tree Wood. Parrots. Parrot cages.

toxic plants
Non-Edible Poisonous Flowers Chart - Home Cooking

I had a website saved that listed all the safe flowers/plants the birds can eat - now i can't find it my Favorites is Full and in no order at all but if i find it i'll post it

Heather

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Heather
I love the cage! Where did you get the wooden toy box?? I can't seem to find them anywhere!

LaceyRead

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Lacey
Heather - I bought it at the local dollar store (I live in Canada), I assume they would sell them at any craft store as well.
She really likes the toy box, I fill it everyday and she has fun going through it and throwing things out :)

Emmilyy

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
I dont know if this has been mentioned yet - i haven't read all the replies :p

Try not to place any toys/perches above the food/water bowls. you don't want her to poop in them.

Big.Green.Chicken

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Anna
Mango is a beauty and I love the cage :)

Heather

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Heather
Heather - I bought it at the local dollar store (I live in Canada), I assume they would sell them at any craft store as well.
She really likes the toy box, I fill it everyday and she has fun going through it and throwing things out :)
Thank you! I will check at the dollar stores tomorrow! We also have a Hobby Lobby so I will check there if I can't find them at the dollar store. I bet my lovies will have a blast with one so THANKS AGAIN!

Parrotlove

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Barbie
I love the set up you have done a wonderful job with it.. The only thing I see i would take out or change is the pink clip as Im sure the paint on that is not safe for your birdies incase they chew on it and maybe the bucket as it looks painted if would change it to the wooden one or a ss one.... I really love the cage and all the toys. two thumbs up.. Hug's Barbie and Isis

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie