• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Homemade seed mix for medium sized and picky bird?

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
Can some one help me with info on making a seed mix for a medium sized bird?
Quarter is currently on mainly seed mix, except he only eat 25-50% of the ingredients.
I am in the process of getting pellets, but highly likely he’ll still have some seeds as apart of his diet.
Ingredients he doesn’t eat in his current mix: dried fruit (I think it’s raisins), peanuts, sunflower and safflower seeds, milo/sorghum, corn.
He basically is only eating grains, wheat, barley, oats.
I would also like to include nuts (not peanuts) and hopefully mix some pellets through it.
We are working on fresh foods, sprouts are a similar situation only the grains are being touched with the occasional pea or bean.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
You might try freeze-dried veggies. They are more readily accepted than dehydrated veggies, since they are not so hard. And they retain more nutrients.

For seeds, you might look into GoldenFeast Australian Blend. My budgies don't seem to like it as much as the other mixes I offer, but I think a medium-sized parrot would appreciate the bigger chunks. Unfortunately, the brand was bought by Versele-Laga and it has been reformulated, so it isn't as good as it once was, in my opinion.

Since your bird is mostly eating seed right now, I would also look into soaking and sprouting. It improves the nutritional profile of the seeds you offer. You can buy seed mixes intended for sprouting or use any fresh seed-only mix.

And sprouts are a nice gateway food for introducing chop and other veggies. Broccoli is another good one.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
You might try freeze-dried veggies. They are more readily accepted than dehydrated veggies, since they are not so hard. And they retain more nutrients.
I really would love freeze dried for all my birds, but it’s fairly hard to find freeze dried veggies (fruits easier) here, and what you can find lacks variety (you have like a maximum of four different veggies)

For seeds, you might look into GoldenFeast Australian Blend. My budgies don't seem to like it as much as the other mixes I offer, but I think a medium-sized parrot would appreciate the bigger chunks. Unfortunately, the brand was bought by Versele-Laga and it has been reformulated, so it isn't as good as it once was, in my opinion.
I will have a look for this, but again don’t know how easy it is to get here.

Since your bird is mostly eating seed right now, I would also look into soaking and sprouting. It improves the nutritional profile of the seeds you offer. You can buy seed mixes intended for sprouting or use any fresh seed-only mix.
Quarter has tried sprouted a few times but he is so picky! I bought him specially a sprout mix and he only eats the grains in it, peas beans and sunflower/safflower are untouched most of the time.

And sprouts are a nice gateway food for introducing chop and other veggies. Broccoli is another good one.
Q isn’t too bad with veggies, I’ve been keeping a close track of everyone he touches, so far he does zucchini, broccoli, kale, capsicum/bell pepper, and he touches some herbs to throw on the floor :rolleyes: