• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hmm Need Help chosing my next pet/s (that aren't birds!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HelenVanessaDavies

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Helen
Okay,
So I am STILL trying to think of a place to add another flock member (My birds all live downstairs in the living room, I like them all being downstairs because they are eachother's company, they go upstairs when being isolated) but I am big enough to admit defeat for now, if I was meant to get a 5th member of my flock, then I'll have one when the time's right.

Meanwhile I have, for a very long time been debating getting a non-feathery companion to live upstairs with me. The Options are *Drum Roll*
  • A pair/group of spiny tailed lizards (Uromastyx), they're mainly herbivores, and they can live in family groups. But need a high temperature viv, the other thing I have a problem with, is that alot of the ones available are wild caught..and I just don't think I could live with the guilt. But then they can live in groups and I have contact with the exotics vets who'll be more than happy to help me
  • A pair of chinchillas, I've always loved them and have had alot of experience handling/taking care of them and I could let them out regularly. But they can be skitty.
  • A pair/group of guinea pigs, again lots of love for them, and have worked with many, and I would be able to let them out to have exercise time. Again they can be skitty. And they'll have to be indoors ones.
  • A pair of rabbits, I've had plenty of experience with them...way more than the others but I wonder if, because I know so much if I'll just get super super paranoid?and they would be indoor ones.
Anyone with any experience in living with/taking care of any of the above, you're opinion would be muchly appreciated.And in your opinion which one you guys think would fit, I'm home alot and have the money to support them as well as my birds.

Lauren and Jack

Real Name
Lauren Watson
If I had to pick for you... I would pick the lizards... Just because I love reptiles and they make more sense to me. Normally I don't like the little critters. or should I say... Me and my husband have come to an understand that we will not own anything mouse like.... I know they may not be rodents... But I just can't. My own phobias and all. lol

Chantilly Lace

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
Definitely chinchillas! As long as you can keep them cool enough, they need to be kept at 74 degrees or below at all times. That is really the main concern. And get them an all metal cage. I have a really nice care sheet on my website, which is in my signature. You can't get much cuter than a chin! Plus they don't stink like a guinea pig or rabbit, and are much more playful and fun. I have had all 3 of those pets and chins are 1,000+ times better.

IMG_4873.JPG IMG_4875.JPG IMG_4912.JPG IMG_4941.JPG IMG_4951.JPG IMG_4952.JPG
IMG_5253.JPG IMG_7876.JPG IMG_8287.JPG IMG_8294.JPG

ifly

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ariba
@ Chantilly Lace- those chinchillas are ADORABLE!!! SOOOOOOOOOOOO cute:))

rabbit or chinchilla for sure!!! guinea pigs are al right and reptiles just freak me out (no offense to any one!) I think out of all the ones u list a rabbit or chinchilla would be the best! good luck:)

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
If you'd be happy with any of these animals, you could check local shelters/rescues, see who needs a home, who you click with and let them choose you.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Goldfish are fun, and they don't poop on the floor.:horse::p

BethySue

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Bethany
If I were choosing, I'd choose the Uros, mostly because I've wanted one for a while now. Everybody I have asked says they are quite easy to take care of. I like that they don't require much in the way of insects. Like you said, a lot of the ones available are wild-caught, but there are breeders as well--you might just have to search a little harder. Check to see if you have any reptiles shows/expos in your area. If you do, go to one and you might be able to find a breeder in your area. Alternatively, you can find a breeder online and have it/them shipped. I don't know how much Uros like to be handled though. If you're wanting a lizard that doesn't mind, and even sometimes likes to be held, consider a bearded dragon. They're adorable, but require a bit more work than uros, and should be kept by themselves.

I have three guinea pigs, and I love them, but I will say that they are a lot of work. They are also not the cheapest pet to maintain. I recently realized that I spend more on the three of them than I do my horse (excluding the horse's monthly board). I do love them and they're adorable. As you mentioned, they can be skittish, but once you work with them, they're very sweet critters. They do stink, even with a big cage and excellent bedding. If I clean the cage every day or every other day, they don't stink, but that isn't feasible with the size of their cage and the kind of bedding I use. They definitely belong indoors.

Chinchillas are adorable, especially the babies Chantilly Lace posted. I don't have any experience with keeping them myself, but when I worked at Petsmart, we always had them. They're great fun and extremely entertaining. I think, but I'm not 100% sure, that chinchillas are nocturnal, so keep that in mind. They do not stink, and seem to be less demanding than my piggies (again, not completely sure about that, but that's what it seems like to me).

It was already mentioned that chinchillas need to be kept cool. This is true for guinea pigs too. They tolerate the cold much better than the heat. I lost my very first pig when our AC went out one summer.

And rabbits are, well, rabbits. They adorable and as babies they're very sweet. But most adult rabbits I've known haven't been very nice. I think the same things I said about guinea pigs would be true about rabbits as well. Like the guinea pigs, they also belong indoors.

So, this is the order I'd put them in, based on my desire to get them, given the reasons I said: Uros, chins, pigs, rabbits. In reality though, it really depends on what you're wanting to get out of your new pet. Do you want something that doesn't take a lot of time to care for and that doesn't require a lot of one on one attention? Get a Uro. Do you want something cute and cuddly and that you can build a relationship with? Get a guinea pig, or a chinchilla. Do you want something you can teach tricks to? Look at guinea pigs or rabbits (can chinchillas learn tricks?). Do you want an animal that doesn't stink? Get a Uro or chinchilla. Don't mind an animal you have to clean up after a lot (well, obviously you don't--you have birds!)? Get a pig or rabbit.

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
I'd go with rabbits - there are so many in rescue, and they are so cute. :heart:

HelenVanessaDavies

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Helen
If I had to pick for you... I would pick the lizards... Just because I love reptiles and they make more sense to me. Normally I don't like the little critters. or should I say... Me and my husband have come to an understand that we will not own anything mouse like.... I know they may not be rodents... But I just can't. My own phobias and all. lol
Ah no way! I have a friend that's got the same phobia as that, I haven't known anyone else to have it! Is it their tails?A rat slapped me in the face with its tail, I was quite freaked out and I like rodents!

Definitely chinchillas! As long as you can keep them cool enough, they need to be kept at 74 degrees or below at all times. That is really the main concern. And get them an all metal cage. I have a really nice care sheet on my website, which is in my signature. You can't get much cuter than a chin! Plus they don't stink like a guinea pig or rabbit, and are much more playful and fun. I have had all 3 of those pets and chins are 1,000+ times better.
I had a feeling you would say that chantel :D it never gets too hot here, but I do have lots of fans just incase (for the birds aswell)...I'm quite optimistic that one day...one day ther will be sunshine! What do you feed your chins? and how often do you give them sand baths?

rabbit or chinchilla for sure!!! guinea pigs are al right and reptiles just freak me out (no offense to any one!) I think out of all the ones u list a rabbit or chinchilla would be the best! good luck:)
Thank you for the feedback! :)

If you'd be happy with any of these animals, you could check local shelters/rescues, see who needs a home, who you click with and let them choose you.
Yes I plan on getting rescue/rehome ones, I love giving something another chance, and pretty much the ones up for rehoming are great pets, people just haven't treated them well.

Goldfish are fun, and they don't poop on the floor.:horse::p
Ahaha...point taken, the only thing Percy loves more than pooing on floors is pooing on people! Won't find a fish with that mentality!

I love my goldies!!!
i love fish!!! lol:) they make great pets!
I have been wondering that...but I get upset when I feed reptiles locusts and when anything dies, I would be heartbroken if any of my fish died!It sounds silly but I get so attatched!

If I were choosing, I'd choose the Uros, mostly because I've wanted one for a while now. Everybody I have asked says they are quite easy to take care of. I like that they don't require much in the way of insects. Like you said, a lot of the ones available are wild-caught, but there are breeders as well--you might just have to search a little harder. Check to see if you have any reptiles shows/expos in your area. If you do, go to one and you might be able to find a breeder in your area. Alternatively, you can find a breeder online and have it/them shipped. I don't know how much Uros like to be handled though. If you're wanting a lizard that doesn't mind, and even sometimes likes to be held, consider a bearded dragon. They're adorable, but require a bit more work than uros, and should be kept by themselves.

I have three guinea pigs, and I love them, but I will say that they are a lot of work. They are also not the cheapest pet to maintain. I recently realized that I spend more on the three of them than I do my horse (excluding the horse's monthly board). I do love them and they're adorable. As you mentioned, they can be skittish, but once you work with them, they're very sweet critters. They do stink, even with a big cage and excellent bedding. If I clean the cage every day or every other day, they don't stink, but that isn't feasible with the size of their cage and the kind of bedding I use. They definitely belong indoors.

Chinchillas are adorable, especially the babies Chantilly Lace posted. I don't have any experience with keeping them myself, but when I worked at Petsmart, we always had them. They're great fun and extremely entertaining. I think, but I'm not 100% sure, that chinchillas are nocturnal, so keep that in mind. They do not stink, and seem to be less demanding than my piggies (again, not completely sure about that, but that's what it seems like to me).

It was already mentioned that chinchillas need to be kept cool. This is true for guinea pigs too. They tolerate the cold much better than the heat. I lost my very first pig when our AC went out one summer.

And rabbits are, well, rabbits. They adorable and as babies they're very sweet. But most adult rabbits I've known haven't been very nice. I think the same things I said about guinea pigs would be true about rabbits as well. Like the guinea pigs, they also belong indoors.

So, this is the order I'd put them in, based on my desire to get them, given the reasons I said: Uros, chins, pigs, rabbits. In reality though, it really depends on what you're wanting to get out of your new pet. Do you want something that doesn't take a lot of time to care for and that doesn't require a lot of one on one attention? Get a Uro. Do you want something cute and cuddly and that you can build a relationship with? Get a guinea pig, or a chinchilla. Do you want something you can teach tricks to? Look at guinea pigs or rabbits (can chinchillas learn tricks?). Do you want an animal that doesn't stink? Get a Uro or chinchilla. Don't mind an animal you have to clean up after a lot (well, obviously you don't--you have birds!)? Get a pig or rabbit.
Oooh thank you for the long comparative answer Bethany :)
The experiences I've had with Uros...they're really captivating, they're very laid back, we had a group of 3 in, 2 of them were wild caught but even though they were, they were alright being handled. And they eat their veg very well and seem more active than some of the other reptiles. Beardies never seem to like me :lol:I try to make them like me but it never works!

Hmmm you have some good points about guineas, I think my family may have a problem with the smelliness, my sisters rats when I take care of them stink up a storm even though I F10 everything everyday (excluding the rats!) but my family do love little guineas...what kinds of things do you end up buying the most for your guineas?

Once I worked where there were 4 chinchillas in the same small room and they didn't smell! obviously chantel has a couple more than four chins :lol:Nocturnal-ness doesn't bother me too much, I'm an insomnic :D ... but I wonder about their stress levels?

Yes I'm very pro indoor, not only because that means that we'll see them more and they'll get more attention but I think indoors is cleaner. Again I wonder about their stress levels...but they would have plenty of space to roam about in supervised play.

And you do raise some good questions! I'll keep reading over them and have a think..and then read them again, then have a think! Thank you :hug8:
I'd go with rabbits - there are so many in rescue, and they are so cute. :heart:
Yeah that's one of the reasons they're on the list because I do like them, and I know that there are lots to rescue and they're probly the easiest of my choices to find :)

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
I've had rabbits, guinea pigs and now I have a chin. Rabbits are so cute (so cute!!!), but I find them slightly boring...(no offense to anyone!). Same with guinea pigs, though I find them a bit more exciting than rabbits.

My chin is a lot of fun. He is not cuddly, but he does enjoy my company. And he's so fun to watch run all over the place, bouncing off walls, etc.

He is easy maintenance and cute! Chins have to eat very strict diets, but that does make their cost of care cheaper.

Oh - and after playtime, the poop is super easy to vacuum up. It's really dry and small, like little pebbles, and it's super easy to vacuum.

I see quite a few chins in rescues and on CL (I don't know if England has something like that).

cgreenaway

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
I haven't had experience with all of them but I have had rabbits, guinea pigs and bearded dragons which are similar to uromastyx and all of them are great choices. My friend had chinchillas and they are a little too skittish in my opinion. When I had guinea pigs they were never like that, they would start squeaking and climbing up the cage for attention when they saw me and my rabbit was the same way. They have a lot of love and can be amazing and very playful. They are also a little easier to care for in comparison to the reptiles. But I do love my reptiles and still have a small collection of them and as a choice they are very different and fun to have. I'm usually freezing all the time even in my house so I love having the high reptile lighting that gives off heat in my living room and just watching the lizards are super fun. It would definitely be a hard choice but for me it would always be guinea pigs or lizards. :)

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When my kids were small we had guinea pigs.Ours were spoiled rotten.:)Never had a chin but they look amazing to me.

HelenVanessaDavies

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Helen
I've had rabbits, guinea pigs and now I have a chin. Rabbits are so cute (so cute!!!), but I find them slightly boring...(no offense to anyone!). Same with guinea pigs, though I find them a bit more exciting than rabbits.

My chin is a lot of fun. He is not cuddly, but he does enjoy my company. And he's so fun to watch run all over the place, bouncing off walls, etc.

He is easy maintenance and cute! Chins have to eat very strict diets, but that does make their cost of care cheaper.

Oh - and after playtime, the poop is super easy to vacuum up. It's really dry and small, like little pebbles, and it's super easy to vacuum.

I see quite a few chins in rescues and on CL (I don't know if England has something like that).
We have like rehome sites...I think we do have a CL but I don't think it's taken up. Hmmm you've also given me alot to think about...What kinds of toys do you give him? Is he okay being alone?

I haven't had experience with all of them but I have had rabbits, guinea pigs and bearded dragons which are similar to uromastyx and all of them are great choices. My friend had chinchillas and they are a little too skittish in my opinion. When I had guinea pigs they were never like that, they would start squeaking and climbing up the cage for attention when they saw me and my rabbit was the same way. They have a lot of love and can be amazing and very playful. They are also a little easier to care for in comparison to the reptiles. But I do love my reptiles and still have a small collection of them and as a choice they are very different and fun to have. I'm usually freezing all the time even in my house so I love having the high reptile lighting that gives off heat in my living room and just watching the lizards are super fun. It would definitely be a hard choice but for me it would always be guinea pigs or lizards. :)
Do you bath your reptiles?aww it sounds like your rabbits and guineas really loved you :)

Chantilly Lace

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
You feed chinchillas a pellet food and hay. They are very cheap to maintain. We get the food at a feed store. Oxbow, Purina Rabbit Chow SHOW are both great brands of food. You want it to be all pellets, no seeds and dried fruit like some pet store brands sell...that is just junk and makes the chins overweight. You also can usually get hay and pine bedding there, for much cheaper than a pet store. You give them a dust bath 1-2 times a week. They don't need shots, de worming, or any other preventative care. You just need to give them wood to chew to wear down their teeth, and lots of love. They are so much fun to watch taking their dust baths or "wall surfing" or "popcorning"! (look this up on youtube if you have not seem them!) I know plenty of people in England that have chins, they seem to be pretty popular there :D

BethySue

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Bethany

Oooh thank you for the long comparative answer Bethany :)

Hmmm you have some good points about guineas, I think my family may have a problem with the smelliness, my sisters rats when I take care of them stink up a storm even though I F10 everything everyday (excluding the rats!) but my family do love little guineas...what kinds of things do you end up buying the most for your guineas?

Yes I'm very pro indoor, not only because that means that we'll see them more and they'll get more attention but I think indoors is cleaner. Again I wonder about their stress levels...but they would have plenty of space to roam about in supervised play.

The thing that makes the guinea pigs cost so much is their bedding. I buy Carefresh bedding, which is expensive, but in my opinion, the best option of the store bought beddings. Their cage is large enough that I have to use a big bag of Carefresh every time I clean their cage. The big bag ranges in cost from $16 and $21. I don't know how much it costs or if it's available in the UK. I also buy them fresh veggies and fruits, and get them the best pellets I can locally, which is Oxbow Cavy Cuisine. (If you want a longer answer about what I buy them, I actually made a post about that on my blog earlier this week. PM me if you want the link.)

You raise good points about keeping them indoors, but another REALLY good reason to NOT keep them outside is the possibility of predators outside. I've heard of more than one family losing their guinea pigs because of neighborhood dogs.

jeme3

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Julie
Piggies are so vocal in friendly. I love their little noises and squeaks.

Bunnies are adorable, and house rabbits can be pretty cool, but I don't think they are a social as piggies.

No real experience with chins. They are adorable.

The only lizards I have experience with are iguanas, which I adore, but their diet is a lot of work, and cleaning reptile cages is a lot of work (to me. And I have 2 cockatiels, an indoor cat, a dog, an 85 gallon aquarium, and 2 turtles in an outdoor pond).

My vote is guinea pigs.

Status
Not open for further replies.