• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

High Sensitivity to Dust or other lung sensitivities?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My neighbour who has severe lung issues came into my apt... a few minutes ago.

Even with the Austin Air Allergy on HIGH she didn't feel so good.

When she went in to my bedroom where the Rabbitair is and where it is always a NO bird zone.. She felt much Better.:) Isn't that interesting?:huh:

Last edited:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
I think the change in how she felt has to do with your bedroom being a 'no bird zone' rather than the different air purifiers

none of them remove 100% of dander or dust :)

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I agree, none will remove 100% and also some of it may be psychological..

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think the change in how she felt has to do with your bedroom being a 'no bird zone' rather than the different air purifiers

Perhaps you're right about the Air purifier things
Gg.. :)She really enjoys Emma and Sachi quite a bit. Her bF even helped me look for Emma when she was awol.:)
It's her lungs that can't handle being around them. I can't believe I was going to offer the Honeywell.:eek: She needs something ALOT more sophisticated..

When she came into my apt she had all these wires connected to her body.. to moniter her blood and other bodily functions.:( I really had no clue.

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

Agreed. In the bird zone it's not just in the air but on surfaces and no air purifier works 100%.

Yoshi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessie
I've also seen things like this being more of a mental state rather than a physical. One of my family members is allergic to cats. If he knows a cat has been in an area, even though its not there at that time, he will have an immediate reaction. However, if a cat has been in an area, but he doesn't know one has been there - he has no reaction or just mild itchy eyes later. We've seen this happen a couple times when going over to people's houses where they have pet cats in the house but he didn't know it. He of course doesn't have a reaction on purpose, but I think his state of expectation helps fuel a reaction.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG

Perhaps you're right about the Air purifier things
Gg.. :)She really enjoys Emma and Sachi quite a bit. Her bF even helped me look for Emma when she was awol.:)
It's her lungs that can't handle being around them. I can't believe I was going to offer the Honeywell.:eek: She needs something ALOT more sophisticated..

When she came into my apt she had all these wires connected to her body.. to moniter her blood and other bodily functions.:( I really had no clue.

sounds like she has a lot going on with her - a mask around the birds might be in order, but it also might frighten them and she still could not interact with them :(

:hug8:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I've also seen things like this being more of a mental state rather than a physical. One of my family members is allergic to cats. If he knows a cat has been in an area, even though its not there at that time, he will have an immediate reaction. However, if a cat has been in an area, but he doesn't know one has been there - he has no reaction or just mild itchy eyes later. We've seen this happen a couple times when going over to people's houses where they have pet cats in the house but he didn't know it. He of course doesn't have a reaction on purpose, but I think his state of expectation helps fuel a reaction.
Ive seen this too.

Emma, is this your neighbor that has the african grey?

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ive seen this too.

Emma, is this your neighbor that has the african grey?
No.. this lady has no pet.
I feel so bad. She often comes over to say hi to my parrots when we are all outside. I feel so bad about her environmental sensitivities..:(

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Here's a question for all of you.:huh: Do you think OUR parrots have lungs and sensitivities to odours and chemicals like my poor neighbour?:huh:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
they can, depending on what they are exposed too - that is why I am soooo careful about the cleaners I use, no perfumes around them, no scented candles etc

DH uses citronella oil in the outside torches and he brought home some with pine oil in it and I sent it off to the camp - I know it is used outside and the windows are closed, etc,

but..... :o:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
they can, depending on what they are exposed too - that is why I am soooo careful about the cleaners I use, no perfumes around them, no scented candles etc

DH uses citronella oil in the outside torches and he brought home some with pine oil in it and I sent it off to the camp - I know it is used outside and the windows are closed, etc,

but..... :o:
THanks Gg!! I guess I'm still wondering whether I should shell out for the Austin air Healtmate plus.:o: I'm a bit torn between that one and the Allergy plus one. *Those chemical sensitivities, I just don't know.*:o:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Here's a question for all of you.:huh: Do you think OUR parrots have lungs and sensitivities to odours and chemicals like my poor neighbour?:huh:
Oh you bet!

Our birds are very sensitive to what goes into their lungs. Which is why its a must to have clean fresh none stale air 24/7.

I have a couple air purifiers in my bird room, 1 in my bedroom, and my mom has 1 and Im working on getting a couple more for the rest of the house.

We also leave windows cracked. Well not all of them, but a good many of them. Even in the winter. And even in the winter we air out the house atleast 1 time per day, and I air out the bird room atleast once per day, typically after Im done vacuuming in the morning. :)

I do not wear perfumes or burn candles. I myself am very sensitive to perfume. My lungs and throat feel like they want to close up and I start to go into a coughing fit. This isnt all the time, but mainly when someone over does it with the perfume. So I do not wear perfumes, and never would I burn candles. I just dont like smoke and smelly artificial stuff.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh you bet!

Our birds are very sensitive to what goes into their lungs. Which is why its a must to have clean fresh none stale air 24/7.

I have a couple air purifiers in my bird room, 1 in my bedroom, and my mom has 1 and Im working on getting a couple more for the rest of the house.

We also leave windows cracked. Well not all of them, but a good many of them. Even in the winter. And even in the winter we air out the house atleast 1 time per day, and I air out the bird room atleast once per day, typically after Im done vacuuming in the morning. :)

I do not wear perfumes or burn candles. I myself am very sensitive to perfume. My lungs and throat feel like they want to close up and I start to go into a coughing fit. This isnt all the time, but mainly when someone over does it with the perfume. So I do not wear perfumes, and never would I burn candles. I just dont like smoke and smelly artificial stuff.
Thanks Mercedez. :hug8: Holiday gave me some great info. Our parrots are very sensitive to chemical and less sensitive to odors.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Thought you might like to read this from:
Bird Breathing

Birds have lungs, but they are not pliable like

ours, and so do not act like a "bellows".

More importantly, they also have air sacs. Depending upon the

species, the bird has seven or nine air sacs. The air sacs include:

Two posterior thoracic
Two abdominal
Two anterior thoracic
Two cervical (these are not present in some species)
One interclavicular
Air Sacs of a Bird
The air sacs of birds extend into the humerus (the bone between the shoulder and elbow),the femur (the thigh bone), the vertebrae and even the skull.
Birds do not have a diaphragm; instead, air is moved in and out of the respiratory system
through pressure changes in the air sacs. Muscles in the chest cause the sternum to be pushed outward. This creates a negative pressure in the air sacs, causing air to enter therespiratory system. Expiration is not passive, but requires certain muscles to contract to increase the pressure on the air sacs and push the air out. Because the sternum must moveduring respiration, it is essential that it is allowed to move freely when a bird is beingrestrained. Holding a bird "too tight" can easily cause the bird to suffocate!
Because birds have air sacs that reach into the bones, and have no diaphragm, respiratoryinfections can spread to the abdominal cavity and bones.
Bird lungs do not expand or contract like the lungs of mammals. In mammalian lungs, theexchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide occurs in microscopic sacs in the lungs, called'alveoli.' In the avian lung, the gas exchange occurs in the walls of microscopic tubules,called 'air capillaries.'
"The respiratory system of birds is more efficient than that of mammals, transferring moreoxygen with each breath. This also means that toxins in the air are also transferred moreefficiently. This is one of the reasons why fumes from teflon are toxic to birds, but notto mammals at the same concentration.When comparing birds and mammals of similar weight, birds have a slower respiratory rate.Respiration in birds requires two respiratory cycles (inspiration, expiration, inspiration,expiration) to move the air through the entire respiratory system. In mammals, only onerespiratory cycle is necessary."

Respiratory Cycle of a Bird
During the first inspiration, the air travels through the nostrils, also called nares, of abird, which are located at the junction between the top of the upper beak and the head. Thefleshy tissue that surrounds them, in some birds, is called the cere. As in mammals, air movesthrough the nostrils into the nasal cavity. From there it passes through the larynx and intothe trachea. Air moves through the trachea to the syrinx, which is located at the point justbefore the trachea divides in two. It passes through the syrinx and then the air stream isdivided in two as the trachea divides. The air does not go directly to the lung, but insteadtravels to the caudal (posterior) air sacs. A small amount of air will
pass through the caudalair sacs to the lung.
During the first expiration, the air is moved from the posterior air sacs through theventrobronchi and dorsobronchi into the lungs. The bronchi continue to divide into smallerdiameter air capillaries. Two kinds of capillaries flow side by side, in opposite directions -the air flowing caudal to cranial and the blood flowing cranial to caudal (in general). This actsas a "countercurrent exchange" mechanism.
Blood capillaries flow through the air capillaries and this is
where the oxygen and carbon dioxide are exchanged.
When the bird inspires the second time, the air moves to the cranial air sacs.
On the second expiration, the air moves out of the cranial air sacs, through the syrinxinto the trachea, through the larynx, and finally through the nasal cavity and out of thenostrils.
Hope this is clear as mud. To simplify things, birds basically breath in and out at the sametime. This is necessary for the long flights that must be made with a minimum of effort.
This site shows the lungs/air sac of birds:
http://people.eku.edu/ritchisong/birdrespiration.html

Last edited:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:hug8: Love your posts Bf. Thanks so much. YOu are a pillar of knowledge!!

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG

THanks Gg!! I guess I'm still wondering whether I should shell out for the Austin air Healtmate plus.:o: I'm a bit torn between that one and the Allergy plus one. *Those chemical sensitivities, I just don't know.*:o:
the cloth HEGA (High Efficiency Gas Absorption) filter in the Allergy model is equally efficient at removing chemicals, gasses, odors as well as dust :D

Yoshi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessie
Yes! When I got my first birds I switched all cleaners in my house over to white vinegar. That stuff even works well on the floors. Might use baking soda on occasion as well.

If I do decide to use a body spray - it gets applied after I leave the house for the day. We never use air fresheners anymore and window are opened more.

You will find that when you get away from a lot of the everyday scents you are used too that your own sense of smell becomes more sensitive.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
the cloth HEGA (High Efficiency Gas Absorption) filter in the Allergy model is equally efficient at removing chemicals, gasses, odors as well as dust :D

Thanks Gg!! I just finished my cleaning and tested something out. I soaked my clean rags in cold water and Bleach, brought the Austin Allergy machine to the kitchen and turned it on High while soaking.

NOT even a mild odor of Bleach.:eek: I'm so glad!!:dancing:

Status
Not open for further replies.