• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

hi im new and cluless...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cinimon

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Erin
what is the best bird for firsties...i was thinkin an Orange-fronted Conure

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
I suggest you start reading the stickies in our sub forums, as well as species specific sub forums :)

FLmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
From my experience there is no particular "good first bird" any bird can fit that profile. It depends on you and what your likes and dislikes are. Depends on where you live and noise issues or all other kinds of factors. What I did was check out the breed specific forums and read alot then went to bird stores and handled a few different birds and kinda figured it out from there. Like if I'm comfortable around those large macaw beaks or felt more comfortable with the smaller types. I really wanted an eclectus but when I handled them I was very intimidated by their beaks and their size. So I went with a smaller bird. I have a white belly caique and we are very happy with him :)

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Hi there!

First off I'd recommend that you don't think in terms of a "first" or "starter" bird. Do a ton of research and figure out what you're looking for in terms of noise/cage size/diet/mess and then make a decision based on those parameters. There is a wealth of knowledge on AA through the forum stickies and in talking directly with members. I know it seems daunting when picking a fid of your own, but trust me, the time put into research saves heartache later!

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
I would also recommend adopting from a rescue - so many great birds out there, needing homes. Go meet some!

Skyler

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Hi and welcome.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome! I hope that you enjoy the site!

Matt

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Welcome,

There really is no such thing as a "starter" bird. Bird's are wonderful companions but they are not easy keepers. Every bird regardless of size deserves, a good diet which includes a high quality pellet like Roudybush, Tops of Harrisons, fresh fruits and veggies everyday, a large cage, (not even a budgie should be crammed into an 18 x 18 x 18 because they're active little boogers), vet care (which is expensive) toys, and most of all love and attention all it's long life. Budgies, can live to be around 10, Lovebirds and Tiels can live to be 15 - 20, and the bigger birds can live between 40 and 60 years.

The most important considerations are where are you at in life... School? Off to College? Getting Married? Having a Baby? Work 20 hours? 40 hours? 60 hours? What kind of house do you live in? Are you a home owner with lots of space between you and your neighbors or apartment dweller with neighbors beside, above and below you? Do you have space for a bird? They should have a big day cage located in a family area so they can be part of the action, but also a smaller sleep cage away from the hubbub in a quiet place to go nite nite in. Any bird, regardless of size, makes noise and some of them make A LOT of noise, conures being one of the more noisy and LOUD of the smaller birds. They can scream all day until you get home and then scream some more. You can google all kinds of parrots noises on Youtube, and when you do turn it up as loud as your lap top will go and that is a close proximity of what it will sound like.

All birds bite, that is their only way of telling us humans "No.", take a look at the bird bite thread to see some of those doozies. If you can honestly say that you are prepared for a life long companion and are willing to make the commitment, do your homework and then so visit a sanctuary or shelter if you can to experience them in real life.

We are here to help you anyway we can.

Ginger

Lauren and Jack

Real Name
Lauren Watson
Welcome!!! And it really just depends what your heart it set on and what fits your lifestyle... And then it depends on how much homework you are willing to do. My first bird was a macaw. When you choose a bird be willing to live with your choose for a life time. Because most of them live a pretty long span.

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi and welcome to the forum.Ginger said it all.......do your homework and do alot of reading up on the forum.

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Welcome. The best bird at any time is the one that picks you. You'll know it. Meet some rescues, rehomes and babies and see which one picks you. Then, go home and learn about it. Make sure it fits your lifestyle. Is noise an issue for you? Could it become an issue in the next 30 years? Do you want a bird that's likely to be cuddly, independent, more intelligent, clownish...? Someone mentioned life changes. How will college, new babies, joining the military, moving, getting married, getting divorced or other life changes affect your bird? They're not deal-breakers, just obstacles to think about and consider how you will work around them. Do you live in an apartment or do you think you ever will? That rules out most cockatoos and probably a lot of other birds also. Do you or will you ever live with other people. You have to consider their comfort level with noise. Birds are amazing. You just have to be ready to be amazing for them.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
there is really no such thing as a starter bird..everybirdie has their own specific requirements..do lots of research etc before deciding and might I recommend a rescue..lots of birdies there need good homes

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Any bird is quite the repsonsibility so there is no first or starter bird. Each and every species whether big or small has specific dietary needs, cage sizes and enrichment with toys and foraging. You can see each forum with each species great places to start reading.

You will learn a ton here just feel free to ask away! :D

ja-nee

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
John
Welcome and I agree do research and go out and meet some birds. Your perfect bird will choose you. :D

margieandwoody

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Margie and Woody
Hello and Welcome!! :D I would suggest perhaps spending a little time at a shelter if you have one close by. Also a lot of research on the different breeds which you can find an amazing amount of right here.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would say that while difficulties are different between species, there is no such thing as an "easy" bird. Even after you do your research, you cannot be 100% prepared. My Quaker and I were love at first sight; we just had an instant connection (even though now he prefers my husband to me!). When I did my MONTHS of research, the bird I expected was:

- Nippy
- Cage Aggressive
- Hard to get onto pellets from seeds
- Quiet but Talkative
- Cuddly

The bird I now have:
- has never bitten
- is only SLIGHTLY cage aggressive
- LOUD but also talkative
- not cuddly, but likes scritches
- was moved from seeds to pellets in a few weeks

So really, the only thing that was right is that he tends to be a bit territorial.

The point is, spending time with a bird is the only way you will be able to see if he is right for you or not. You can read generalizations of birds from sunup to sundown and still not know a THING about the individual person you bring home. It's literally the same thing as saying "all women like to have babies, cook dinner, and cry at romance movies." To generalize so much means you will be in for a huge surprise when that woman hates cooking, loves action flicks, and is not interested in having children! The same goes for birds, they are all so intelligent and different from each other that even if they all looked identical to each other, you'd be able to know them apart pretty easily.

I think others have really nailed it with their recommendations of, instead of finding a "first bird", find a bird that you can connect with, and are comfortable with. When I got Jingo I was not comfortable with the big beaks of macaws, etc, but now that I understand more about birds, and have spent some time with big ol' softies, I can no longer write them off my list if something happens in the future.

Birds are a BIG commitment in terms of time, money, and time. Yes, I said that twice, because time isn't just time with the bird. Think of time cleaning, rearranging/making toys, preparing meals, more cleaning!, traveling to a certified vet, etc. And know that some birds will cost more than others. I am lucky that my bird loves chains - which are pretty much indestructible. But some birds on here go through ENTIRE 10 foot long 2x4 boards in a WEEK because they love chewing so much.

We don't want to scare you off! We just want you to understand all of the facets of owning a bird - we're here to help every step of the way! :hug8:

Naiera

Real Name
Alyssa
Welcome to AA! Lots of good advice here - excited to hear what decision(s) you end up making :) My best advice is to just take your time - through visits and lots of research you'll find what will fit best for you.

avianantics

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shelly Wing
Welcome to the Avenue. I agree with Ginger, there really isn't a "starter" bird and I couldn't have said it any better. Best wishes to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.