• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hi folks!

• Thread starter Sillypup5
  • Start date
S

Sillypup5

Hi guys/gals -
My name's Megan - I am owned my 10 feathered babes.. (In no order..) Kiwi - 7yoBHC, Piper & Echo - aprox 8 year old tiels, Bud & Miller, tiels of unknown age (rescues), Mango & Tango 6 year old twin brother PF lovebirds, Smudge 5yo Starling and Amy a now 17 week old BFA. We lost our CAG Calvin at the beginning of the month, he was somewhat of a rescue/adoption. He would have turned 4 on Dec. 20. My vet was convinced he ate something toxic, I had unintentionally left him out one day and we were gone for aprox. 3 hours. 2 weeks later he was down 1/4 of his body weight (I weigh my birds monthly and record their weights and it just happened to be the day before he was left out I had weighed him in at 442g and 2 weeks later when I noticed he wasn't right, he was down to 371g) The necropsy came back a few days ago and they ruled it PDD. They did not run any brain tissue tests to come to this ruling according to the necropsy report, but rather diagnosed PDD based on lesions found in his organs.. and i am wondering if maybe.. just maybe.. it could have been toxicosis of some kind and not PDD. When I took him to the vet initially we did a full workup, and the xrays were normal... very very slight dialation of his postventriculus and his vet and the radiologist the xrays were sent to did not even consider PDD. (this was AFTER his very sudden weight loss) I had him since April, so during the 6+ months he was here, not a single one of my other birds has shown symptoms of being ill at all, and still have not. I have been monitoring the ALL like a hawk since he first showed he was sick. There is no way to get a second opinion however as he was cremated before I even got the results and all of his samples destroyed. So, I now must live with the fact that he may have died of PDD as there is no surefire way of knowing otherwise - even with ABV testing. I am not new to birds at all, but he was the first ill bird I have ever had, and we made many trips to the city (2 hours each way) to this avian vet in the 3 weeks between him showing signs of illness/losing weight and him suddenly dying overnight when he had been regaining weight and strength and showing improvements. Anyway. That's my story for now, I was looking into immune system boosters for my flock, and have found Young Living Essential Oils to sound the most promising, especially with Dr. Shelton's desk reference to use as a guide. I joined up with YL this weekend with the help of one of my friends and am hoping for the best. Thanks to Greydoud for sending me the link to the forum, and I look forward to "meeting" you all :) I don't only want to discuss PDD/ABV but it is the forefront of my mind at the moment, although playing with and interacting with my fids is also a top priority!

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome Megan! I am glad you joined and hope others will be able to help with your questions. I know you are worried about the future health of your other birds. :hug8:

S

Sillypup5

Whoops! I forgot to mention Skittles. lol She's my 1 1/2 year old Pineapple GCC :) Once Calvin's quarantine period was over - He and Skittles were housed 1 1/2 feet from eachother. Eventhough they never shared toys or play areas.. if anyone were going to have been exposed/infected by anything it would have been her, and she too, is also just fine.

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
:greet7: Welcome. Sorry for the loss. I hope an avian vet can assist you with your medical questions and you find AA enriching.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
welcome and so very sorry for your loss of Calvin.:hug8:

hockeymomwood

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ellen
:hello1: Welcome, Megan!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome! I am sorry for your loss.

Matt

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
I'm sorry for your loss, Megan. But glad to have you on board. :welcomesign:

RJ Noodle

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Zetra
You have a starling? So cool! I knew a man from Chicago who had a starling take up residence in his shop. He was wild but he would mimic the guy. I never knew starlings could talk until I met this man. It was sooo interesting. Oh, and welcome to AA. It's great here. I am relatively new and have learned so much. So sorry about Calvin.

S

Sillypup5

Yes, I have had Smudge since he and his other 5 clutchmates were blind & naked nestlings. I raised them all for nearly 3 months after rescuing them when their tree they were living is was being sawed into log for my boss' fireplace! I gave away the other 5 to be pets as they were imprinted, I live in farm country and starlings are royally hated and constantly being "culled".. and I know how great they are as companions! I am having a hard time knowing he will be 5 years old this coming spring already. Up until Calvin came to live with us in April, Smudge was the best feathered talker in the house. They really are amazing birds, and I have educated so many people around here on that fact, and I think I may have even saved a few of his wild cousins from being shot since people are realizing more and more how amazing they are, and that they in fact are eating the insects in their grain, and not the grain! (since they can't physically digest grain/seeds)

RJ Noodle

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Zetra
Awesome :highfive: Down here we have tons of mocking birds and I have often wondered if they could mimic people. I really do not see why not. Although they are pretty aggressive and I would rather watch and listen from afar :p

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome so sorry for your loss