• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hi all! New to group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbtigger1401

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
lynn
Hi,
I'm a new member and getting very nervous reading everyones posts about cockatoos.
I have only hand fed babies till here recently, and I rescued a abused umbrella cockatoo male.
Age unknown,but seems to be older. Talks when he wants to. Basicallys does what he wants in his time frame with me as I feel anything is better then where I got him.
He has only bitten once, and that was my son, first thing in the am.
But other then that he seems good. He dont scream. He dont really pluck.(but is plucked as well but not bad)
He has been doing soo good since we got him.
Been only 2 weeks tho.
So, I guess im just here to get advice as babies are so fun and so is my smokey.
I just want to get a understanding for them.
Also he is now on zupreem pellets seed mix and fresh fruits and veggies 3 times a day . Any advice is welcome .
we have him in a macaw cage a friend had and its huge its about 5 foot long 6 foot high and 3 foot deep so plenty of room
we spent about $200 on toys and he already has about half gone lol

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Hi Lynn, welcome to Avian Avenue! We have many experienced Too owners here..you came to the right place :) Thank you for rescuing this little bird..

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
Lynn so glad you found us!!!

Well Toos are a mixed bag of craziness and sometimes a streak of unpredictablity.

I thank you for taking this fellow, they are not for everyone and expensive to care for.

I have rehomed two smaller Toos, patience and more patience and learning to read them takes time.

Enjoy the journey!

hbtigger1401

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
lynn
haha,
yeah i admitt he is more challenging then my cockatiels or lovebirds but he seems to have more feelings and more emotions then the smaller birds.
i also do have a cockatiel and 2 lovebirds( with 4 eggs getting ready to hatch by the 28th) and then smokey the u2,
the 2nd night i had him he got on my arm and i pulle dmy arm to my chest and he put his head on my chest and pushed so i hugged him and it was so adorable he said "aww thank you""
so of course he won my heart right off
he trusts me more then anyone else in the house.
and i love him to pieces
every morning we get up and he gets to come outof his cage and gives momma kiss then waits patiently for his fruits for breakfast
i been able to read some of his aggression traits and when to back off, so far, i havent gotten bit but my son did the other morning, but it was outof him letting him outof cage and not me
i think he likes routine more then just being let out by anyone

hbtigger1401

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
lynn
btw ,
thank you to all for welcoming me here.
I just thought it wold be great to have aplace to gush about him and to maybe learn somethings bout him
i want my home to be his last home so im wanting to do everything
right to keep him forever!
he is soo different then the babies i handfeed and wean for ppl

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
Lynn I have to say your being seduced by a Too.

They look for those of us that have "sucker" written on our forheads.:rolleyes:

Just don't start anything you don't want to continue. They are HUGE manipulators that can make our hearts :heart:melt.

TwoG2s

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jaye

We love cockatoos.

We love pictures, also :)

Smokey sounds like he has a great setup. Could you post pics of his cage and play area and some of those new toys, too... We are always looking for inspiration.

Welcome.

southerninak

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amy
I understand what you mean by needing someplace to gush..I adopted a too from our local bird club 6 months ago ..He had a vet appt this morning and I couldn't stop talking about him. She was very nice to listen and he was sooo good for them. I take pictures to work and everything.I too am new to toos and have found lots of support from the people on this board . I don't know what I would have done without these wonderful caring people.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome I am glad you joined :hug8:

thebirdnerds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jennifer
Hi!!!
Welcome to the avenue!! I also rescued both of my Cockatoos it is a lot of work but they are great birds!!! I love my babies!! I wish you luck!!!!

Marlene

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Real Name
Marlene
:hello: and :welave: You will learn a lot here about cockatoos! Be ready, your life will never be the same.:dance5::dance5:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Hi Welcome to the Avenue! I don't have a too but wanted to say welcome

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Hello Lynn. I can definitely tell you that he is going to take more skill, dedication and knowledge to look after than all your previous and current birds combined all at once.

He sounds like he is settling in well which to me says that you are going to have a rather short honeymoon where he will be pretty well behaved until he really does start to feel safe and secure. That is when you are going to see the real bird whatever that may be.

Ask a million questions. We are all here to help you.

They are a result of their past. Do you know anything about his history? That will go a long ways to knowing what to expect down the road and what you might have to deal with.

LuvMyBirds

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barbara
Welcome Lynn ~ look forward to seeing you around the neighborhood.

hbtigger1401

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
lynn
to respond to jlcribber,
when i got him he was in a dog cage, with a mess all over he was filthy and nasty and they said he screamed and bit and just was a nusance, his diet was dog and cat food grrr
he got home with us and we couldnt get him out of the plastic crate so i went to put a thick step up stick near him and he freaked and flew to the ground and went as far down as he could like i was going to hit him, i immediatly put the stick up and sat on the floor with him and kept telling him he was ok and he crawled to me and got on my lap i figure he has been hit more then once,
he does not like sticks or limbs or spray bottles even, he dont like toys above his head or moving to quick with toys,
he dont like visitors either as his crown will go up and he tends to fly towards them as if to attack them for coming in,
so im figuring he was abused by everyone that ever came in contact with him,
we have only had him 2 weeks and he is the greatest to me,
i understand his true colors will come out, as he has a lil already,
he chewed the molding on my window frame which i was getting new windows this summer anyways lol he just made it to where i wasnt changing my mind lol
and he tore up the blinds, ( i was gonna redecorate hahahaha)
and he dont like one of my chihuahuas lol his crown goes up every time she walks by lol

i would post pics but dont know how?
so how much worse will the honeymoon be after its over lol
i dont care i love him and we will work threw this and more im sure

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Real Name
Ann
Welcome to The Avenue.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez

hbtigger1401

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
lynn
thank you guys for all the great links and help, john i understand beleive me i saw the post the other night bout your nose! ouch!!sorry to hear he did that
we have since found out he has feet aggression!
we cannot have bare feet or shoed feet near him he absolutely hates our feet
cpl good gashes in my foot and bfs, lol
but we are ok other then that,
i have been reading and readin on here ever chance i get
it helps alot especially the other post bout watching thier ques
never knew some of that and it has help prevent alot of seriuos bites!!!

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi and welcome. If he is a foot chaser he does not belong on the floor, ever. It can get much worse and someone will get hurt. I have a rehomed U2, age unknow, who came with a screaming problem. I have, through positive reinforcement, cut his screaming back by 75%. Sammy is jst a dear to have around. Remember, no petting anywhere on the body except the head, crest, neck. Every where else tends to sexually stimulate them. If you can only spend 1-2 hours a day with your guy, try to stick with it. If you keep them out all day and all of a sudden change your chedule you may run into some agression problems. Till you get to know this bird better, do not allow him near your face or on your shoulder. U2 can very quickly try to show you who is boss. You are just in the honeymoon period right now. It will take a long while to trust him and he you. There are many here to help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.