• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

He's getting older, and I'm not coping well

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Sherlock, my little old man pomeranian mix, is pushing 15 (we think, the rescue wasn't 100% on his age). Just in the past month, he's really deteriorated - It feels like it happened overnight. His eyes are cloudy, he doesn't hear really well, he's stiff when he walks... I think he's starting to forget what he's doing while he's doing it. He'll suddenly look around, confused. If I am trying to get him to follow me, if I go around the corner and he can't see me, he stops and waits for me to come back in to view.

I'm not dealing with this super well. I know aging happens. But I'm not ready. I'm really not ready.

IMG_20170208_110544_980.jpeg

Attachments

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I am so sorry I don’t think we are ever ready for them to get old it goes happen over night did with my boys too

all you can do is make him comfortable as you can and enjoy every day you have with him I am so sorry it’s heartbreaking

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
It's so difficult as they age. I went through with Bits. With him He slowly got old then last couple of years. And than bam! He went downhill really fast. It's so hard to watch them go through it. You have to the best you can to ease them through the last parts of their lives. And really enjoy the good days they have. It's so hard. My heart goes out to both of you :sadhug2:

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
It’s so hard max was fine getting a bit slower more sleepy but I went to toilet one morning and he came in (which he ever did) put his head on my lap
And there was a faint lump on his head I thought he had been stung rang hubby who came straight home vets said it was a fast growing tumour he needed to be put to sleep to check it I said to hubby he’s 14years old let’s not put him through it he hated being away from us and being messed with
for three weeks we let him eat whatever he wanted went on walks as much as he wanted he would say when he wanted to go back bought him a new comfortable bed to have in our room with Tyson until we knew day had come no more suffering
Honestly I’ve only ever seen my hubby in 16years cry three times that was one of them

what I am trying to say in all this is you just have to enjoy them for now try not to think about the end enjoy now we can ever be ready it’s going to hurt but hold your memories with you make new ones while you can

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Enjoy every moment you have together and remember that no matter where Sherlock actually is, there will always be a big piece of him in your heart.
It is very hard to watch them get old and change so much, the confusion and fear some go through I think is extra hard to watch so I hope you guys don't experience too much of that.
Thinking of you and Sherlock xo

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Enjoy every moment you have together and remember that no matter where Sherlock actually is, there will always be a big piece of him in your heart.
It is very hard to watch them get old and change so much, the confusion and fear some go through I think is extra hard to watch so I hope you guys don't experience too much of that.
Thinking of you and Sherlock xo
Ohhhh you made me cry

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I can't hardly read this ...
because I have a 16y lady miss Sophia who is has lost hearing and sight not so good, kidneys going...
My Alf turns 16 next month...he has ...he sleeps 90% of the time ..my babies I've had them since tiny puppies

Love to you and yours

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
@Pixiebeak :sadhug2:

It's so heartbreaking isn't it? Still I think the heartbreak is worth the good times. I'd so love another dog. Currently it's not the right time. But they are worth the heartbreak in the end. You have to try and hold on to all good about things especially during the ending. Its difficult but that's only because you love them so much! Dogs are so awesome!

@Shezbug is right. They'll always be in your heart :heart2:

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
I completely feel you. I have 2 senior dogs, a big Great Pyrenees named Willow who is 8 (They live to about 10), the gentlest dog on the planet, and arthritic. And my Chihuahua/Terrier mix Diego who is also 15 and the absolute love of my life. His eyes are recently getting cloudy and when he started licking his paws and getting upset recently we learned he’s getting arthritis and is in some pain. Ugh. It really does hurt. I told him especially that he’s not allowed to go anywhere, if you know what I mean.